FedEx Freight | Nine dead in I-5 crash involving tour bus & FedEx Freight

Lol...Blaming auto systems or mechanical failure is being just as presumptuous as the people you are all bitching about!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

What happened to "Cab on fire before crash" witness accounts? Why are investigators doing everything possible to sweep those reports under the rug? An eye witness account can't be confirmed as fact but recreating the scene will be?
Was that older Volvo retrofitted with DEF emissions system? If so. Did it malfunction? Are authorities afraid if they look into that they'll find out half the trucks on the road today are potential accidents waiting to happen? Imagine the public's response if they knew.
Before some of you jump on me that I'm a dumbass.....I admit I don't know a lot about those systems. I do know they get extremely hot. I know we've had minor problems with some of them not working properly. And there seems to be a rash of truck fires on the sides of the road. Just something to think about.

Don't worry this will be looked into in every way possible and by every agency... They were out there doing reenactments. I drive that stretch of road 5 days a week. This could make some new safety guide lines or laws. Everything from hours of service to you name it will be on the table again. This is sadly a part of life we all have to deal with. Accidents happen and they happen to good people.

Pray for all family and friends this Easter Day...

What happened to "Cab on fire before crash" witness accounts? Why are investigators doing everything possible to sweep those reports under the rug? An eye witness account can't be confirmed as fact but recreating the scene will be?
Was that older Volvo retrofitted with DEF emissions system? If so. Did it malfunction? Are authorities afraid if they look into that they'll find out half the trucks on the road today are potential accidents waiting to happen? Imagine the public's response if they knew.
Before some of you jump on me that I'm a dumbass.....I admit I don't know a lot about those systems. I do know they get extremely hot. I know we've had minor problems with some of them not working properly. And there seems to be a rash of truck fires on the sides of the road. Just something to think about.

The least reliable thing is eyewitness reports. I was a juror on an armed robbery trial ten years ago. 5 eyewitnesses and all 5 saw an entirely different event. All of them contradicted each other. Luckily we had DNA from a hat that fell off the robber's head at the restaurant.

We don't retrofit DEF. The older units use a heat based burn off. The newer units come from the factory equipped with DEF units, DEF is a chemical based cleansing that is much cooler than the older units.

NTSB has already said that there's no evidence in the median to support the tractor being on fire.

I won't speculate on what happened, just waiting to see what the experts report.

ST

The least reliable thing is eyewitness reports. I was a juror on an armed robbery trial ten years ago. 5 eyewitnesses and all 5 saw an entirely different event. All of them contradicted each other. Luckily we had DNA from a hat that fell off the robber's head at the restaurant.

We don't retrofit DEF. The older units use a heat based burn off. The newer units come from the factory equipped with DEF units, DEF is a chemical based cleansing that is much cooler than the older units.

NTSB has already said that there's no evidence in the median to support the tractor being on fire.

I won't speculate on what happened, just waiting to see what the experts report.

ST

Wasn't sure about the DEF out on left coast. Knew it was Federal by 2016 but figured tree huggers out there sped things up and required it on everything by 2014.

I understand how witness accounts can vary in different situations. This one. I don't know.
The first one I heard was the woman in the car. If not mistaken she was driving. She wasn't 100 yards off the road in a front yard. She wasn't behind the truck or 100 yards away in oncoming lanes. She was hit by the truck. She was as close to the truck as you can get and still live.
She could have just sat back and got a lawyer. Big corporation with deep pockets. She had nothing to worry about. But no. She took up for the driver. Why would she do that unless she knew it was the truth and was right thing to do?
Anybody who has ever been in an accident can tell you it seems to happen in slow motion. It's etched in your mind in slow motion. I bet she could tell you how many bugs were on the windshield and if driver was wearing a ball cap.
I'm not a lawyer or expert investigator. Just good ol' common sense, judgment of character and gut feeling tells me that woman is most reliable and credible evidence they have. The investigators are like our managers. Too daggone educated to consider common sense.

Glad to amuse you. It's good to know somebody has it all figured out.

I don't have **** figured out.....no one does. Pointing out the hypocrisy in the thread is all. Blaming manufacturers when you don't know squat is no different than the media, public or other drivers running fedex through the mud.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Wasn't sure about the DEF out on left coast. Knew it was Federal by 2016 but figured tree huggers out there sped things up and required it on everything by 2014.

I understand how witness accounts can vary in different situations. This one. I don't know.
The first one I heard was the woman in the car. If not mistaken she was driving. She wasn't 100 yards off the road in a front yard. She wasn't behind the truck or 100 yards away in oncoming lanes. She was hit by the truck. She was as close to the truck as you can get and still live.
She could have just sat back and got a lawyer. Big corporation with deep pockets. She had nothing to worry about. But no. She took up for the driver. Why would she do that unless she knew it was the truth and was right thing to do?
Anybody who has ever been in an accident can tell you it seems to happen in slow motion. It's etched in your mind in slow motion. I bet she could tell you how many bugs were on the windshield and if driver was wearing a ball cap.
I'm not a lawyer or expert investigator. Just good ol' common sense, judgment of character and gut feeling tells me that woman is most reliable and credible evidence they have. The investigators are like our managers. Too daggone educated to consider common sense.

Still unreliable...take a butane lighter and get it near one of the red plastic emergency airlines and see what happens....

If this is an equipment issue, however, we have a major frickin problem....as freight drivers as a whole....union or not!

That's what i am worried about. what make the he driving? the news states the fire was under the passenger side of the cab right where all the exhaust heat is.

First off as far as the woman is concerned you saying she took up for the driver and could have got a lawyer. In my opinion that will still happen. The ultimate blame here will be FedEx. We all hope that it was some mechanical problem that can clear the driver as doing all he could under the circumstances. As far as etched in slow motion I can't understand that at all. If that was remotely true there wouldn't be so many variations of what happens at accident scenes.

That's what i am worried about. what make the he driving? the news states the fire was under the passenger side of the cab right where all the exhaust heat is.

I didn't understand your post. But you are right about the exhaust heat this needs to really be checked into.

That model Volvo from that year would likely have a basic Cummins motor (no DEF, no Regen) and no VORAD, no ESP, and cruise disabled.

roog

That model Volvo from that year would likely have a basic Cummins motor (no DEF, no Regen) and no VORAD, no ESP, and cruise disabled.

roog

That was what I originally thinking roogie. But not working there I wasn't sure. I don't believe UPSF has any 2007 Volvo's that have been retrofitted. They just get rid of them. I'm not a mechanic but I believe that to be true. If I need to be corrected I'm sure I will be... I believe it is to costly for a 2007...

In California, we're being told that the 2007's are the first generation regens, with vorad, cruise and nothing fancier. All older units are exiting Ca because they don't meet smog regulations here. I've moved half a dozen units out/in in the last two weeks, with about a dozen to go from my barn alone. Ask any phoenix driver, they've been flooded with 2006 and older units, especially baby kw and freightshaker's (city units).

ST

That tractor was supposed to be switched out on a meet that day. Other meet driver didnt bring right tractor so no swap.
It had no VORAD and hence no cruise, no DPF or regenerative burner and of course, no DEF.
it did, however, have twin fuel tanks, he still had at least 200 gallons on board.

its very difficult to get good views of the photos posted in the news.besides California has a drought and the ground in the median is very hard.
the news photos shown on the news they always only show the most sensational ones and forget about the others.

I have a Volvo that use to be a safety award truck before the driver quit...that truck has had more problems with the regen then anything else i have seen. Been driving the tractor since I got on the bid in july and I think I have driven it a total of 3 months. It broke down in october and was gone for 3 months....got it back in january and drove it 2 weeks then was down for a month then got it back and drove it for 12 hours and broke down again and have not driven it for 2 months now since it has been gone. This truck qualifies under California lemon law for going in for the same reasons everytime but does fedex care about the state of our equipment....NOPE!!! if they could they would replace the seats with milk crates if it meant keeping it on the road!!!! The regen clogs up and derates the truck to 5mph!

I have a Volvo that use to be a safety award truck before the driver quit...that truck has had more problems with the regen then anything else i have seen. Been driving the tractor since I got on the bid in july and I think I have driven it a total of 3 months. It broke down in october and was gone for 3 months....got it back in january and drove it 2 weeks then was down for a month then got it back and drove it for 12 hours and broke down again and have not driven it for 2 months now since it has been gone. This truck qualifies under California lemon law for going in for the same reasons everytime but does fedex care about the state of our equipment....NOPE!!! if they could they would replace the seats with milk crates if it meant keeping it on the road!!!! The regen clogs up and derates the truck to 5mph!

Well...I now know what yard you're out of, and what tractor you drive...congrats. Even know your bid.

ST