FedEx Freight | Nine dead in I-5 crash involving tour bus & FedEx Freight

I'm driving a 08 Volvo that was a safety award truck....Vorad Regen all that crap that makes noise...The problem i have is some times when I'm coming to a stop the automatic is down shifting on it's own.But when my foot is on the brake peddle it accelerates on it's own.Mechanic plugs it into the computer and say's it's fine,But the check engine light stay's on.It's my bid tractor and i don't wont to drive it any more but we have no spares.Came real close to rear ending some one....The manager thinks I'm stupid.....Any suggestion's.....

keep writing it up .If something happens you need to cover your azz.they will try to blame it on you so keep your pink copy of your dvir.

I have a Volvo that use to be a safety award truck before the driver quit...that truck has had more problems with the regen then anything else i have seen. Been driving the tractor since I got on the bid in july and I think I have driven it a total of 3 months. It broke down in october and was gone for 3 months....got it back in january and drove it 2 weeks then was down for a month then got it back and drove it for 12 hours and broke down again and have not driven it for 2 months now since it has been gone. This truck qualifies under California lemon law for going in for the same reasons everytime but does fedex care about the state of our equipment....NOPE!!! if they could they would replace the seats with milk crates if it meant keeping it on the road!!!! The regen clogs up and derates the truck to 5mph!
lemon law doesn't apply to commercial vehicals

:
I'm driving a 08 Volvo that was a safety award truck....Vorad Regen all that crap that makes noise...The problem i have is some times when I'm coming to a stop the automatic is down shifting on it's own.But when my foot is on the brake peddle it accelerates on it's own.Mechanic plugs it into the computer and say's it's fine,But the check engine light stay's on.It's my bid tractor and i don't wont to drive it any more but we have no spares.Came real close to rear ending some one....The manager thinks I'm stupid.....Any suggestion's.....

Got to take all my stuff out of the Volvo today.Driving a new KW automatic,Not much for take off but it rides good.:bgroovy:

keep writing it up .If something happens you need to cover your azz.they will try to blame it on you so keep your pink copy of your dvir.

Thats funny.. We had two drivers involved in wrecks in curves both said the truck shifted on them. It has been brought up a million times they don't care. Oh and both drivers were fired and high seniority. I know for a fact this tractor shifts in turns because I had it do it to me many times.

Thats funny.. We had two drivers involved in wrecks in curves both said the truck shifted on them. It has been brought up a million times they don't care. Oh and both drivers were fired and high seniority. I know for a fact this tractor shifts in turns because I had it do it to me many times.

Meant to quote Smokestack.

Not sure you are making yourself clear when you say "the truck shifted on them".
Do you mean the transmission downshifted and then lost control in a slide??
Or the tires lost side grip in wet pavement and the truck rear end came around like this???

[video=youtube_share;M6-CF4CZuOc]http://youtu.be/M6-CF4CZuOc[/video]

Many moons ago, on the downhill side of a mountain pass, I had all 3 trailers going ever which way after the tractor drive tires broke lose on snow and ice and got it all straightened out by just pulling on the hand valve. That gets the attention of all the trailers to fall in line and quit messing around. :LMAO:

:shift:

Or just push in the clutch......
Oh, my bad, nowadays we spec out the equipment for steering wheel holders.

It is a good thing I wasn't driving for Consolidated Freightways back then either. For some reason (mainly being cheap), their trucks did not come with a hand valve to slow down your trailers.
But when you have the truck going from side to side and all the trailers snaking like and accordion, pressing the clutch probably would not have saved the day.

Hard lessons learned on I 5 at mm6 in Orygun, quite often the lifting of the foot from the throttle is enough to put the tractor into a slide.
Depressing the clutch eliminates the drag of the idling engine and allows the tractor to regain some momentum which straightens out the wagons. Johnson Bar works, but adrenaline can provide too much effort which can make things interesting. A little throttle can help, also.
River, I'm sure you have fond memories of Callahan 's corner and the railroad trestle.

Hard lessons learned on I 5 at mm6 in Orygun, quite often the lifting of the foot from the throttle is enough to put the tractor into a slide.
Depressing the clutch eliminates the drag of the idling engine and allows the tractor to regain some momentum which straightens out the wagons. Johnson Bar works, but adrenaline can provide too much effort which can make things interesting. A little throttle can help, also.
River, I'm sure you have fond memories of Callahan 's corner and the railroad trestle.

Back in the old days we didn't have jake brakes for the trucks that didn't pull triples all the time, so I just had to ride my brakes all the way down the hill you mention.(Good thing back then we had shops that would check and adjust the brakes every trip before going out the gate) None of this business of stabbing the brakes for a few seconds and then let it pick up speed. It was ride the foot brake and hope not to spin out on the ice. But if you went too slow you could have the drive wheels start to spin backwards and lose control. You always had to keep enough speed so as not to stall out the forward progress down the hill.