FedEx Freight | NLRB Ruling

Kinda what I thought. Poof, up in smoke again. I can tell you exactly how long mine will last. I will retire within the next two years from this company. I will draw that check every month every year for the next 30 or so (God willing) I will not have to touch my 401K or other investments unless an extreme emergency arises. I will have top tier health care for my wife and I. All of this provided me by my employers of the last 35 years. The majority union.
Interesting, you didn't have real time figures either.

Enough with the pissing contest, my point is you don't need a union in order to be successful, you just have to plan for yourself!

"The only helping hand you can rely on is the one at the end of your own sleeve."....JC Watts

Last edited:
Just to let everyone know... "Freight Slayer" was actually citydog posting on a multiple account...
I cut him a break but if I catch people creating another account to talk to themselves or hide I will ban you from Truckingboards forever.

Tired of the silly childish :::shit:::
LMAO

Hi all first time poster been watching a couple of months. Seems to me lots of division on both sides not much of an open mind. I have some opinions about the union after doing a lot of research on my own. I really don't see where us drivers at Fed-ex will benefit a great deal, after looking at the UPS forum I see them discussing their pension. From the formula they posted a 30 year man making 60k a year will draw 1800-1900 a month. Our pension is only six years old so if you take that same math we will have a pretty substantial retirement after our time is served.
Very funny... But lacking in honesty.

Truth is our pension could only be (at best) "OK" for a new guy, who can actually last 30 years AND all years be on a better than average road run. I doubt more than a handful will stick it out that long. Even fewer will make enough each year to bring the monthly benefit up to significant level. Even for them, it could be best described as "minimal". For guys who've been here 20-25 years already, it might be enough to cover groceries, in 10-15 yrs. But you know that, and like it that way, right? Would you like to see the screen shot again of what nearly 20 years in the plan brings, just to refresh your memory?

at 65, in 12 years, after 35 years of continuous employment here.

pension_at_65.jpg

pension_at_65b.jpg

But you must also remember our pension plan has only been in place for 6 years. If you take someone that was hired 5 years ago that puts in another 25 for a total of 30 years, plus their 401K, their retirement would receive on average $4,000-$4,500 a month...and that's on today's figures.
Yes, it sucks for those of us that have put in 20-30 years already but it is what it is. If the union were to secure a contract, you would not still be in basically the same boat, would you not have to also put in another 14 years (providing you get credit for the 6 you've accrued already with FedEx) 20 years (if they don't) plus the 10 you've already accrued of a total of 30 years to get that kind of money....provided the govt hasn't cut everybody's pension by then?

Even for a guy who started the same day the pension started, after 20 years, the benefit will be similar to what I posted for myself. Mine will be still with 18yrs the plan, all at the highest contribution rate. That new guy doesn't start at the same rate, does he? I seem to remember a lower rate in early years...

But you must also remember our pension plan has only been in place for 6 years. If you take someone that was hired 5 years ago that puts in another 25 for a total of 30 years, plus their 401K, their retirement would receive on average $4,000-$4,500 a month...and that's on today's figures.
Yes, it sucks for those of us that have put in 20-30 years already but it is what it is. If the union were to secure a contract, you would not still be in basically the same boat, would you not have to also put in another 14 years (providing you get credit for the 6 you've accrued already with FedEx) 20 years (if they don't) plus the 10 you've already accrued of a total of 30 years to get that kind of money....provided the govt hasn't cut everybody's pension by then?
R.Racer, you like to compare company A's pension, to our whole package (401k & pension) as well as the certain demise of their superior insurance.. Also, you like to give examples of optimistic results for all of our investments, thereby making thing equal or comparable. The truth is, at each level of UPSF (our true competition) compensation, they exceed our compensation. Their Pension is defined, based on years of service. There may be certain circumstances where they are comparable, but over all better for the driver. They have a 401k too. They have far better insurance...

Then you and your pals like to point out that it's not the companies responsibility to fund your retirement. Fine. Even on that point, their employees are better equipped to do so. On average, they make more (take home pay) than FEXE does, making retirement planning much more doable, on their own. So on each level of compensation, we remain at a disadvantage.

So much uncertainty. Scratch the 401K out of the equation also. You can't bank on probable.
You also can't bank on the supposedly "guaranteed" union pensions. Looks like the new regulatory changes will greatly reduce the payouts. At least with our 401k money it's protected. I just feel bad for the union retirees who will have to take a reduction in their benefits after years of working towards their promised monthly payouts.

R.Racer, you like to compare company A's pension, to our whole package (401k & pension) as well as the certain demise of their superior insurance.. Also, you like to give examples of optimistic results for all of our investments, thereby making thing equal or comparable. The truth is, at each level of UPSF (our true competition) compensation, they exceed our compensation. Their Pension is defined, based on years of service. There may be certain circumstances where they are comparable, but over all better for the driver. They have a 401k too. They have far better insurance...

Then you and your pals like to point out that it's not the companies responsibility to fund your retirement. Fine. Even on that point, their employees are better equipped to do so. On average, they make more (take home pay) than FEXE does, making retirement planning much more doable, on their own. So on each level of compensation, we remain at a disadvantage.
How is UPSF our "true competition" when not only do they run regional, short haul LTL but they also have long haul LTL, a truckload service, a dedicated driver service, etc..., your comparing apples to oranges. Plus, they've only been in business for less than 10 years, they're also an unproven commodity. Let's give them another 25-30 years in the industry and we'll see where they stand. You mustn't forget that everything is good when a company is young...AF, Viking, Yellow, Roadway, ABF, etc..all started out well but where are they now?

How is UPSF our "true competition" when not only do they run regional, short haul LTL but they also have long haul LTL, a truckload service, a dedicated driver service, etc..., your comparing apples to oranges. Plus, they've only been in business for less than 10 years, they're also an unproven commodity. Let's give them another 25-30 years in the industry and we'll see where they stand. You mustn't forget that everything is good when a company is young...AF, Viking, Yellow, Roadway, ABF, etc..all started out well but where are they now?
I wonder how the long term outlook for UPSF will be as well. I notice that most of their barns are worn out, with holes you could lose a dolly in. I still see tractors with the Overnite paint scheme, also trailers that say Motor Cargo. Upgrading and replacing facilities and equipment is one area where Fedex is light years ahead of them. Over time this will become a major issue as the huge cost of trying to remedy the mounting backlog of infrastructure and equipment deficiencies hits home. The union is apparently causing so much outlay of profits that they can't afford to do what is needed. Probably will be another case of decline in a company directly related to unionization.

You also can't bank on the supposedly "guaranteed" union pensions. Looks like the new regulatory changes will greatly reduce the payouts. At least with our 401k money it's protected. I just feel bad for the union retirees who will have to take a reduction in their benefits after years of working towards their promised monthly payouts.
Still waiting for the language pertaining to reduction of fully funded pension funds that redracer claims is in the bill. There are many funds that were rebounding prior to this legislation. It is also headed to our court systems and will be contested.

Well, when our "sales force" calls on customers, they tell us that their only "real" competitor is... UPS. UPS as a whole vs FedEx as a whole. That is what sales says, and they are in fact on the very front line in terms of competition. That from regional VP sales, Mr. Tobin. Perhaps you know him.

As far as track record goes, I'd say the prospectus for UPSF is quite good, based on the high success rate of their parent company. 3 of the 5 companies you mention were bought, thereby negating any way to qualify "where they are now".

Interesting, you didn't have real time figures either.

Enough with the pissing contest, my point is you don't need a union in order to be successful, you just have to plan for yourself!

"The only helping hand you can rely on is the one at the end of your own sleeve."....JC Watts
Sure racer. I posted it up and so did SwampRatt I believe. Both the insurance and our WSPT links. I will retire out under the PEER program with 25 years at around $3200 a month. I was blessed with a few "bonus" years where the fund gained tremendously and the additional gains were passed to the vested participants. Very lucky there.

I wonder how the long term outlook for UPSF will be as well. I notice that most of their barns are worn out, with holes you could lose a dolly in. I still see tractors with the Overnite paint scheme, also trailers that say Motor Cargo. Upgrading and replacing facilities and equipment is one area where Fedex is light years ahead of them. Over time this will become a major issue as the huge cost of trying to remedy the mounting backlog of infrastructure and equipment deficiencies hits home. The union is apparently causing so much outlay of profits that they can't afford to do what is needed. Probably will be another case of decline in a company directly related to unionization.
Not sure about the condition of their barns, but nice barns don't contribute anything to our financial well being. We spend very little time there, and customers rarely, if ever visit them. On to the fleet: In my neck of the woods, "most" UPSF equip. compares quite favorably to our aging fleet. Yes, our fleet has become seasoned, compared to the good old days. I'm sure it is cost beneficial, and I never complain about driving 750,000 or million mile truck. Better for me than the newest automatic. Personally, I find that the fleets appear quite equal. We both have some old, unsightly trailers.

Kinda what I thought. Poof, up in smoke again. I can tell you exactly how long mine will last. I will retire within the next two years from this company. I will draw that check every month every year for the next 30 or so (God willing) I will not have to touch my 401K or other investments unless an extreme emergency arises. I will have top tier health care for my wife and I. All of this provided me by my employers of the last 35 years. The majority union.

For your sake, I hope you are correct........but there are plenty of folks that do not like to rely on the good faith and sense of others for their security and well-being.......hopefully you arent just "whistling in the dark".......I would be exceptionally leery of your health care expectations now and in the future.....

I know, I know.........it is in writing. However, fine-print legalese and possible governmental intervention would certainly make me nervous. Contracts are never-ever straight up breached either..........

I will paraphrase Tommy Boy to help illustrate my point:

"If you want, I can take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I have spare time".........

Guarantees are only as good as those who make them.........there are those that would question the ability and credibility of those that are making the guarantees you are putting your faith in........

I prefer the PPA and 401k combination simply because I will not really be relying on someone else's decisions/actions to determine my future. No matter what is in the PPA when I retire........its mine. I can cash the lump sum into gold and bury it in the backyard if I so choose. Pretty much the same for the 401k.........

Pretty sure that the gov't, PGBC or anyone else would have a fight on their hands if they came and tried to dig up and confiscate any portion of my buried gold......what recourse do the current retirees that have seen their MEPF benefits reduced have?

Now, I would be giving up any blame I could place on someone else and therefore accepting all responsibility and accountability for my future...........that might be a big issue for some....

"In God I trust, all others pay cash"...............

Not sure about the condition of their barns, but nice barns don't contribute anything to our financial well being. We spend very little time there, and customers rarely, if ever visit them. On to the fleet: In my neck of the woods, "most" UPSF equip. compares quite favorably to our aging fleet. Yes, our fleet has become seasoned, compared to the good old days. I'm sure it is cost beneficial, and I never complain about driving 750,000 or million mile truck. Better for me than the newest automatic. Personally, I find that the fleets appear quite equal. We both have some old, unsightly trailers.
Barns like your home or any other property must be maintained. Deferring to do so until later usually will end up costing much more in the end. Technology is also an area I should have mentioned in the initial post and is another area Fedex is way ahead on. For example out dock door scanners. UPSF still uses paper, much less efficient. I talked to one of their road guys who said he even has a hard time finding load bars and other basic equipment at some barns. I think you are also wrong about their trucks and trailers as I have talked to many of their drivers about just this subject. As I stated before these policies will come back to bite in the long run. Common sense always wins out over wishful thinking.

For your sake, I hope you are correct........but there are plenty of folks that do not like to rely on the good faith and sense of others for their security and well-being.......hopefully you arent just "whistling in the dark".......I would be exceptionally leery of your health care expectations now and in the future.....

I know, I know.........it is in writing. However, fine-print legalese and possible governmental intervention would certainly make me nervous. Contracts are never-ever straight up breached either..........

I will paraphrase Tommy Boy to help illustrate my point:

"If you want, I can take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I have spare time".........

Guarantees are only as good as those who make them.........there are those that would question the ability and credibility of those that are making the guarantees you are putting your faith in........

I prefer the PPA and 401k combination simply because I will not really be relying on someone else's decisions/actions to determine my future. No matter what is in the PPA when I retire........its mine. I can cash the lump sum into gold and bury it in the backyard if I so choose. Pretty much the same for the 401k.........

Pretty sure that the gov't, PGBC or anyone else would have a fight on their hands if they came and tried to dig up and confiscate any portion of my buried gold......what recourse do the current retirees that have seen their MEPF benefits reduced have?

Now, I would be giving up any blame I could place on someone else and therefore accepting all responsibility and accountability for my future...........that might be a big issue for some....

"In God I trust, all others pay cash"...............
There was never an argument regarding our own responsibility to take care of ourselves. The point is, we have more than one stream of retirement income available to us. The decisions made by our trustees are no different than the investment manager many hire to handle their personal investments. They work for us. I am fortunate to have a fund that is considered fully funded.

It may be the location also. I still see some tractors wearing the "Motor Cargo" and "Overnite" colors around here. Many new tractors and trailers also.