FedEx Freight | NLRB seized ballot box and stopped the vote in PKB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your wrong on that. Guys do get cornered into resigning. I dont know why you worry about it though. Theres a whole helluvalotta managers kept on EVERYWHDRE who if ya total losses they incur are a whole universe ahead of most any driver as far as loss goes. Zollars walked with millions and somebody told me the United Way just hired him.....He was one of the greatest great ones whose shoes youd still shine if chance arose......But to hell with a driver who will never get close to even the losses of his own TM's mistakes even if hes the greatest slacker on Earth.
They never seem to get hanged even when they deserve it at the union shops though do they. That is a contributing factor in the demise of union carriers.

That's the exact response I expected from the union supporters...thanks for not disappointing!
You've almost got the same attitude as the union organizer!
It measures your mentality to a T !! You love ignorance, I know a guy this. Well here's the deal with the ballot box, this guy said he signed a card but I'd voting no!! All childish crap!! I kinda wonder if your a driver???not that it really matters, I wish I could tell you how I really feel but I will contain myself and just say personally I think you don't hZve a clue about anything, you just like to think you do!! JOE wanna be!! Have a good evening, I will ............

Why does union protection allow deadbeats to keep being deadbeats? At non-union jobs, an employee that flagrantly disregards the rules is disciplined and eventually fired if they don't get the hint. At union jobs, employees receive little to no punishment for doing things that are capable of disgusting people and disrupting an entire job site because the union ensures they are protected.

You shouldn't be fired for being five minutes late once or twice. But you should be fired if you decide your fuel tank is a good substitute for a toilet just because you don't like your truck.

A lot of people don't seem to see the fact that the Union & Company relationships seems to be changing. We all understand the past situations, whether is was UAW, AFL-CIO, or Teamsters. The Balance of power had swung far into the Union favor. That was a long time ago. Now the Balance has sung in the opposite direction, far into the Companies' favor.

Today, things seem to me, to have changed. Looking at YRC, the Union, it seems, was willing to "help" the Company recover from their situation. Looking at UPS, & now UPS Freight, there seems to be much more BALANCE in the relationship. Yes they make TOP SHELF wages/benefits, but they also work hard/smart and are held to a pretty high standard. Perhaps UPS has found it very manageable, and is quite able to follow their side of the agreement, keeping their employees and managers accountable. You just don't see these types of mistakes, allowing the deadbeat to remain.

It seems that currently the pendulum, after swinging far from one side to the other, has settled into a more reasonable position. It seems that currently, there is a higher degree of balance. The Union holds the Company to a high standard of accountability, and the Companies are able to hold the Union drivers to a high standard, as well. UPS has done so, FedEx (we'd expect) would do so as well.

I can make it real easy for you all.
Give a person enough rope and they will hang themselves !!!!!!!
Progressive discipline per contract is what happens.
1 Coaching
2 Warning Letter
3 Suspension
4 Termination
Now if you commit one of the Cardinal Sins your canned on the spot.

If a gateway votes yes, it may affect Canadian operations. That being said, it'd be out of my hands if that was to happen. But the rest of this debate is about FedEx employees exercising their right to organize (or not, as the case may be). So it has zero bearing on me outside a gateway because I never go anywhere else.
Just what I thought and will leave it at that.

A lot of people don't seem to see the fact that the Union & Company relationships seems to be changing. We all understand the past situations, whether is was UAW, AFL-CIO, or Teamsters. The Balance of power had swung far into the Union favor. That was a long time ago. Now the Balance has sung in the opposite direction, far into the Companies' favor.

Today, things seem to me, to have changed. Looking at YRC, the Union, it seems, was willing to "help" the Company recover from their situation. Looking at UPS, & now UPS Freight, there seems to be much more BALANCE in the relationship. Yes they make TOP SHELF wages/benefits, but they also work hard/smart and are held to a pretty high standard. Perhaps UPS has found it very manageable, and is quite able to follow their side of the agreement, keeping their employees and managers accountable. You just don't see these types of mistakes, allowing the deadbeat to remain.

It seems that currently the pendulum, after swinging far from one side to the other, has settled into a more reasonable position. It seems that currently, there is a higher degree of balance. The Union holds the Company to a high standard of accountability, and the Companies are able to hold the Union drivers to a high standard, as well. UPS has done so, FedEx (we'd expect) would do so as well.
You're right about the balance. I only brought up what I did because it is an image problem that the unions as a whole have. Has that been changing? Quite possibly. The stories of folks getting away with bad behavior are certainly becoming less frequent.

Personally, if there was a standard of accountability, my concern in this case would be quickly addressed. Because it reflects poorly on everyone when someone decides to take advantage of the system put in place to protect them and their coworkers do nothing about it. If abuses were addressed, I think you'd find a lot of no votes might become yes votes.

Just my $0.02.

Just what I thought and will leave it at that.
I didn't say that I'm actively discouraging the gateways from voting yes. I only said that unless a gateway votes yes it will not affect what I do for FedEx. And I have zero input if it does happen because it's not my domicile.

My chief concern if it does happen, honestly, is losing control of my equipment once I'm in the yard. I currently use the same dolly every day and ensure it's in good repair for the 614mi round trip every night. If I can't split sets anymore, I lose that peace of mind.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I've done set switches before in yards and I've pulled them apart for free to keep my dolly. At the end of the day, we all want fairness for everyone. And I know being a contractor excludes me. Holland and Speedy have been getting along well for a long time now, but there's not as much involved in dropping a 53 footer to hook up another one. If it was that simple (and it was, once upon a time) I would have no issue.

Some people would argue that all FedEx equipment is passable. Experience has me disagree. But I digress. If the vote comes to the gateways, I can do nothing about it and have no input or control besides begging for consideration.

And how do you know the company didn't know this would happen if they set up the driver app to vote?
Perhaps the company was stalling.
It's political at that point. Both sides know the dance. Democrat vs. Repulican, anyone?

Soon it won't be about us or the customers.

I can make it real easy for you all.
Give a person enough rope and they will hang themselves !!!!!!!
Progressive discipline per contract is what happens.
1 Coaching
2 Warning Letter
3 Suspension
4 Termination
Now if you commit one of the Cardinal Sins your canned on the spot.

Hmmm.......what exactly are the Cardinal sins you mention?

The steps you spell out pretty well match FXF corrective action policy to a T.........interested in seeing any differences between the two.......

Hmmm.......what exactly are the Cardinal sins you mention?

The steps you spell out pretty well match FXF corrective action policy to a T.........interested in seeing any differences between the two.......
If the union is voted in, Cab Lizzard is suggesting that the corrective action policy be enshrined in the negotiated contract. An excellent idea. In reality, I can't see it happening because in all likelihood too many members wouldn't vote for a contract that ensures such a thing.

I would be pleasantly surprised if it did happen though.

Theft
Under the influence
Falsification
Destruction of company property

Major accident wouldnt be an offense that would be addressed outside of the normal step progression, or does it have a seperate policy? I am guessing that rolling up a set wouldnt be handled with a "coaching"?

Last edited:
If the union is voted in, Cab Lizzard is suggesting that the corrective action policy be enshrined in the negotiated contract. An excellent idea. In reality, I can't see it happening because in all likelihood too many members wouldn't vote for a contract that ensures such a thing.

That is understood, but by publishing the policy within the employee handbook, the company in essence becomes legally obligated to follow its own rules. If a person is terminated and proven that the policy wasnt followed, the company could very well be liable for unlawful termination.

Outside of an internal process vs. the legal route, the merits and drawbacks of each could be debated forever in my opinion, I dont really see much difference in what currently exists.......

If it were the dog chaser union.Red and hammer would protest.So many unions and so many members in a union.Something must be right with union representation.Ive always suggested you all try for a different union anyway..Machinist union perhaps.The IBT isn't the only union that represents drivers and dockworkers

Major accident wouldnt be an offense that would be addressed outside of the normal step progression, or does it have a seperate policy? I am guessing that rolling up a set wouldnt be handled with a "coaching"?
As I have observed about this coaching thing..kinda childish

Usually the driver is canned with a major accident.
Most are back to work shortly their after. Some paid some not.

Usually the driver is canned with a major accident.
Most are back to work shortly their after. Some paid some not.

Thanks.........appreciate the response........doesnt appear there is a whole lot of differences in the policies as written. If looks to me that the main differences are within the process of review, which I feel the merits and drawbacks of each can be debated without a clear resolution......

Why on earth would someone out in the trenches doing the work not want to know how discipline comes down.
Remember these words If you give them enough rope they will hang themselves.
If somebody says they have never been in the office for discipline their not telling the truth.
Everybody gets their turn in the barrel......

Thanks.........appreciate the response........doesnt appear there is a whole lot of differences in the policies as written. If looks to me that the main differences are within the process of review, which I feel the merits and drawbacks of each can be debated without a clear resolution......
Now their are some time limits involved here. So their are no fishing expiditions.
The company has 10 working day's to either put up or shut up............. Our managers have a hard time counting to ten.

Status
Not open for further replies.