ABF | NLRB

vongrimmenstein

I stand for our flag, & kneel for the fallen
Credits
Does anyone know of a successful action filed by a rank & file member, (with no help from their local) against their Local or the IBT that resulted in a successful ruling for the plaintiff?

Well,.......I guess I'm up.......

In 1980, about 20 of us filed an NLRB charge against M & G Convoy, Ryder Systems, Volkswagen
of America , and the Teamsters.

It seems that they shut down our terminal , and opened another one 20 miles away in New Stanton PA. to haul Volkswagens out of a brand new plant.

They hired more than a hundred people off the street,........many "friends" from the Local,........no experienced carhaulers, and,.......other than the "friends"...... no Teamsters. .........Laid us off.

Union wouldn't help us, so we filed an Unfair Labor Practice ......on our own.

Four years, two house break-ins, three suicides later,........we won the right to use our seniority in that barn, ......along with back pay. They had been using us on the bottom of the board because,.........it did turn out after all,......that they needed experienced carhaulers.........Something about excessive damages.....

I was 30+ years younger then,.......one of the youngest guys on the board. Our case was pushed and handled by our steward,........the late Dave Williams. Can't say enough good about him, he practically took them on singlehandedly........ And Won.....

In 1980, about 20 of us filed an NLRB charge against M & G Convoy, Ryder Systems, Volkswagen

It seems that they shut down our terminal , and opened another one 20 miles away in New Stanton PA. to haul Volkswagens out of a brand new plant.

They hired more than a hundred people off the street,........many "friends" from the Local,........no experienced carhaulers, and,.......other than the "friends"...... no Teamsters. .........Laid us off.

Four years, two house break-ins, three suicides later,........we won the right to use our seniority in that barn, ......along with back pay. They had been using us on the bottom of the board because,.........it did turn out after all,......that they needed experienced carhaulers.........Something about excessive damages.....

I was 30+ years younger then,.......one of the youngest guys on the board. Our case was pushed and handled by our steward,........the late Dave Williams. Can't say enough good about him, he practically took them on singlehandedly........ And Won.....
:clapping::clapping::clapping::bowdown:

I would have liked to have known Dave Williams. The trait he possessed is rare today it is spelled INTEGRITY.

I would have liked to have known Dave Williams. The trait he possessed is rare today it is spelled INTEGRITY.

He was unusual,.....Very bright, but kind of abrasive personality. He was adamant about facts.........He didn't want to know what you "thought",.....or how you "felt",.....he wanted to know what you KNEW,....for a fact,....and he would brusquely shut you off if you tried to tell him what you "thought". To this day, this is how I'll file a grievance,......I don't file them on "feelings",....no matter how much the TM hurt them.....Nor do I file them on insults,......you don't win grievances because you were "insulted"....

Dave was complimented at the end of the NLRB trial,....the judge told him he missed his calling, and should have been a lawyer. He said: " No, Your Honor,....I am a steward......"

Good man,........You either liked him, or you hated him,.........but you certainly respected him........

Grievance/discharge committees make decisions on facts & wording of the contract not on feelings. Usually an abusive, disrespectful management type will make mistakes & violate the contract. Then you have them where you want them. I have seen the company get tired of losing grievances & paying claims because of some management *****'s bad attitude. Keep your head on straight & know the contract. I worked with a Teamster that would smile & keep his cool. He was discharged more than once for standing his ground but was always reinstated with back pay.

Yeah,.........95% of the calls for a harassment grievance are because some big manly man of a man got his feelings hurt.........

You can't get......"revenge".......on a boss by filing a "harassment" grievance because you didn't have the guts to stand there and go toe-to-toe and defend your actions,..........or worse,......your inactions.

Both a grievance, and the extreme NLRB charge ,.,.....are not "revenge". They are both a cold, calculated request for a clarification of a difference of opinion between you and supervision. The side with the most facts,.... and least emotion, will win...

(....at least at Local panels , arbitrations , and NLRB cases...........I've gone in with an armload of facts,.......cartload of facts,.....at ERJAC panels,.......and the company's whole case was: " We don't want to....",.........and we've lost. Any ERJAC panel officer creeping on here taking exception to this is welcome to PM me, and I'll give you the grievance number,.....and , if you wish, the pictures, depositions, timecards, and manifests associated with this case.........Or, you could call my former BA , now my Local President,......who still describes this case as one of the worst travesties of so-called "justice" he ever saw.....Maybe this is why Teamsters United has a very good chance of de-throning the powers-that-be......and getting back to where grievances are fought on merit, instead of cronyism........,)

Brother Vongrimmenstein,.......was there any reason in particular you were asking about filing a NLRB case? It can be done,....but it takes a lot of legwork.

In 2006, I met with NLRB agent in regards to the 'ol "gray language" used in our contract. I had a petition signed by 79 of my 80 brothers including steward and bargaining committee members. I was told, in so many words, it's the IBT's contract, not the members. The questionable language remained, unchanged, in the next two contracts that I worked under until I secured employment elsewhere. Teamsters contract, not members contract. Hmm.

In 2006, I met with NLRB agent in regards to the 'ol "gray language" used in our contract. I had a petition signed by 79 of my 80 brothers including steward and bargaining committee members. I was told, in so many words, it's the IBT's contract, not the members. The questionable language remained, unchanged, in the next two contracts that I worked under until I secured employment elsewhere. Teamsters contract, not members contract. Hmm.
That is pretty much what I have found too. members' union? Hmmm

He was unusual,.....Very bright, but kind of abrasive personality. He was adamant about facts.........He didn't want to know what you "thought",.....or how you "felt",.....he wanted to know what you KNEW,....for a fact,....and he would brusquely shut you off if you tried to tell him what you "thought". To this day, this is how I'll file a grievance,......I don't file them on "feelings",....no matter how much the TM hurt them.....Nor do I file them on insults,......you don't win grievances because you were "insulted"....

Dave was complimented at the end of the NLRB trial,....the judge told him he missed his calling, and should have been a lawyer. He said: " No, Your Honor,....I am a steward......"

Good man,........You either liked him, or you hated him,.........but you certainly respected him........

That judge had to have a lot of respect for you steward to say that. fROM A
Brother Vongrimmenstein,.......was there any reason in particular you were asking about filing a NLRB case? It can be done,....but it takes a lot of legwork.
We see a lot of people complaining about our work place & how the Locals seem to let things slide, & the BA's & above disrespect the rank & file by allowing to many contract violations & doing little to support us in fighting management just to honor the contract. It seems like a David & Goliath battle where David is the looser on most issues, hence the question.

I've heard the same thing, they are your elected officials its legal and binding. Doesn't matter if we agree or not.

I've heard the same thing, they are your elected officials its legal and binding. Doesn't matter if we agree or not.

Unfortunately,......that's true. It's a good thing if you have competent, honest officials who actually care more for the members they represent, than they do for their cushy sinecure and expense account......A compromised , incompetent Bozo in an elected position , as an "official",......can do more damage to worker's rights,.....than a team of rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth anti-worker company attorneys.....