Yellow | No Cola

Rico66

TB Lurker
Credits
There will be NO COLA this year as was stated in a letter from Tyson.. It should be out in the terminals tomorrow, more BS as usual.

Its complete BS, I like how just month ago I got a letter from the union bragging about preserving our COLA in the tentative agreement. This year goes well above and beyond qualifying and everyone knows that next year can't be near as bad inflation-wise. DHL gets it, carhaul gets it.....

Its complete nonsense.....:BS:

Don't be a Pinkerton!

We_never_sleep.jpg

[list type=decimal]
[*]Pinkerton National Detective Agency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[*]Labor spies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[/LIST]

There will be NO COLA this year as was stated in a letter from Tyson.. It should be out in the terminals tomorrow, more BS as usual.

Would anybody be so kind as to post the exact language as to why there is no COLA? It can't be challenged unless we know the reason why. Thanks

Would anybody be so kind as to post the exact language as to why there is no COLA? It can't be challenged unless we know the reason why. Thanks

Apparently this was another "backdoor" DEAL between Junior and YRC. I think they omitted in '08 is because they knew we would get at least .16! Dollar Bill got a raise. Where did the $$ come from ? Do the math. .16x40= $6.40(st. time) + .24x10(estimated o/t)=$2.40. That equals $8.80 per man per week. Now multiply that by 70,000 teamsters and you get $616,000.00 Dollar Bills raise!!!!! Squeezed it out of our bloody azzes again!...................... OUCH................
I'm hurtin and I'm sure you all are tooo. Or is this savings slated to build YRC Logistics. I guess I don't understand big bussiness. Screw the hard working man and line the pockets of the Corporate officers. I think YRC would be able to function without the over paid High Office execs! If they were to leave I'm sure not too many people would miss those over paid egotistical bastar**S. But now if 70,000 teamsters were to leave EVERYONE WOULD NOTICE! :funky:

The exact letter states "Please be advised there is no cost-of-living adjustment(COLA) payable on April 1, 2008, per Article 33 of the NMFA. COLA increases will however be payable on April , 2009 and every April 1 thereafter untilthe 2008 - 2013 NMFA if the CFI-W rises to such a level to trigger the payment formula. As with most other collective bargaining agreements, the first year negotiated wage increase under the new NMFA reflects the parties assessment of the nominal amount needed to maintain wages and provide increases in light of the latest inflation data available at the time of bargaining. Simply put, THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A COLA INCREASE UNDER ANY NMFA THAT CONNECTED ALONG WITH THE FIRST DAY OF THE CONTRACT: rather, the parties acknowledge that the purpose of the COLA clause is to address or 'pick up' any inflationary pressures during the life of the agreement that the previously negotiated annual wage increases may not reflect due to unforeseen inflationary pressure in the general economy.
Should you have any questions or need further clarification, please do not hesitate to contact the National Freight division at (202) 624-8761. Signed by Tyson Johnson

Is it just the fact that we got strung along to the last minute and then we were told there wouldn't be a COLA? Is there a legitimate complaint or is it just buyers remorse with this crappy contract we got suckered into? I was told to be thankful for the raise I got.

The exact letter states "Please be advised there is no cost-of-living adjustment(COLA) payable on April 1, 2008, per Article 33 of the NMFA. COLA increases will however be payable on April , 2009 and every April 1 thereafter untilthe 2008 - 2013 NMFA if the CFI-W rises to such a level to trigger the payment formula.
For one thing it wont happen next year, there has been more inflation over this year than any other year in my lifetime.
As with most other collective bargaining agreements, the first year negotiated wage increase under the new NMFA reflects the parties assessment of the nominal amount needed to maintain wages and provide increases in light of the latest inflation data available at the time of bargaining. Simply put, THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A COLA INCREASE UNDER ANY NMFA THAT CONNECTED ALONG WITH THE FIRST DAY OF THE CONTRACT:
Inflation data has changed dramatically even since bargaining ended in December, since the early 80's when the COLA was added to the contracts their has only been one year to my knowledge that qualified us for a COLA raise, that alone makes this a very misleading point in my mind.

rather, the parties acknowledge that the purpose of the COLA clause is to address or 'pick up' any inflationary pressures during the life of the agreement that the previously negotiated annual wage increases may not reflect due to unforeseen inflationary pressure in the general economy.

Thats exactly what has happened, and the COLA is clearly designated for this purpose the contract clearly states the COLA language,with no exceptions regarding first year, last, or middle, of the contract, what if at the end of a contracts life we received a COLA raise? Would the negotiating team just subtract it from our increases? Whats the point then? Sending out letters bragging about how we preserved the COLA language, what a joke. They knew we wouldn't get this raise but they kept it quiet so they could further their agenda unabated. This letter is a insult to the intelligence of all who read it.

No Inflation Next Year

:hysterical: Well, I guess we can look forward to next year since there will not be any major inflation to establish a COLA. The election will be over and oil prices will be on the decline and the stock market will be over the 14000 mark and everything will be right in this world.

Lest we forget, we will still be dispatched by best stupidity and managed by the least qualified terminal managers in the freight industry. And we will still be asking the question, how can they continue to be so stupid and how can they keep their jobs:smilie_132:?

The exact letter states "Please be advised there is no cost-of-living adjustment(COLA) payable on April 1, 2008, per Article 33 of the NMFA. COLA increases will however be payable on April , 2009 and every April 1 thereafter untilthe 2008 - 2013 NMFA if the CFI-W rises to such a level to trigger the payment formula. As with most other collective bargaining agreements, the first year negotiated wage increase under the new NMFA reflects the parties assessment of the nominal amount needed to maintain wages and provide increases in light of the latest inflation data available at the time of bargaining. Simply put, THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A COLA INCREASE UNDER ANY NMFA THAT CONNECTED ALONG WITH THE FIRST DAY OF THE CONTRACT: rather, the parties acknowledge that the purpose of the COLA clause is to address or 'pick up' any inflationary pressures during the life of the agreement that the previously negotiated annual wage increases may not reflect due to unforeseen inflationary pressure in the general economy.
Should you have any questions or need further clarification, please do not hesitate to contact the National Freight division at (202) 624-8761. Signed by Tyson Johnson

If this was there intent they would have changed the dates like they did in the UPS contract " Effective 2009"

Page 52 of the tentative freight agreement I'm looking at states; "No change from current contract language except change dates to make effective in new agreement" Well this new agreement was effective April 1, 2008.

No Inflation Next Year

:hysterical: Well, I guess we can look forward to next year since there will not be any major inflation to establish a COLA. The election will be over and oil prices will be on the decline and the stock market will be over the 14000 mark and everything will be right in this world.

Lest we forget, we will still be dispatched by the best of stupidity and managed by the least qualified terminal managers in the freight industry. And we will still be asking the question, how can they continue to be so stupid and how can they keep their jobs:smilie_132:?

At the risk of getting bashed here for saying so, it does look like this does make some sense. Here's my take on it.

Calculating COLA as per contract:
Jan 2007 CPI-W 197.559
Jan 2008 CPI-W 206.744
Increase: 4.65%
Percent increase greater than 3% = 1.65%
1.65% of 197.559 = 3.2597
3.2597/0.2 = 16.3 cents COLA

If we were in the middle of the contract period this April 1st, the COLA increase would be 16.3 cents on the hourly rate. Now, since we're into a new contract as of April 1st, the COLA doesn't apply as we've been told. However, the increase we're getting as of April 1st is 50 cents. In subsequent years of this contract the yearly increases are 40, 45, 40 and 45 cents respectively. So, in a sense, we are getting a larger increase as of April 1st to compensate somewhat for increase in the cost of living. Not the full 16.3 cents that we would be getting if the COLA clause was implemented, but a bit larger pop anyway.

OK, beat me up for saying so!! :smile1:

Triplex... once more you have proved the exception to the rule.
Smart concise and well done !
I give you the 45cal.Seal of Approval!!!
congratulations brother!

one thing about it my brothers, being a city driver, I will get my cola one way or the other.....work safe and work smart will get my cola and anything else i want.....I am sick and tired of management (trying to screw us:hysterical:).......but they will never get the best of me because i will get the last laugh......:hysterical:.......nuff said

At the risk of getting bashed here for saying so, it does look like this does make some sense. Here's my take on it.

Jan 2007 CPI-W 197.559
Jan 2008 CPI-W 206.744

If we were in the middle of the contract period this April 1st, the COLA increase would be 16.3 cents on the hourly rate. Now, since we're into a new contract as of April 1st, the COLA doesn't apply as we've been told. However, the increase we're getting as of April 1st is 50 cents. In subsequent years of this contract the yearly increases are 40, 45, 40 and 45 cents respectively. So, in a sense, we are getting a larger increase as of April 1st to compensate somewhat for increase in the cost of living. Not the full 16.3 cents that we would be getting if the COLA clause was implemented, but a bit larger pop anyway.

What your saying is Tyson J. makes the rules as he is playing the game as long as he feels it make it look good for himself..That's right:chairshot:were nothing but a bunch of stupid teamsters:hysterical: Here is what I was told from a offical from my local.According to a memo from the IBT:hide: the CPI didn't warrant an increase and that is why we didn't get one.It seems there also going to look into it as something doesn't seem right..

Jan 2007 CPI-W 197.559
Jan 2008 CPI-W 206.744

Your calculations seem accurate, but thats not really the point, and while it is a curious that the first raise is higher, I don't see it as a supplement to the COLA more an incentive to sign the Teamsters latest failure.

All contract raises excepting new hire progression are in a sense cost of living raises. The cola is intended to fill the gap in unforeseeable circumstances. The contract was bargained in late 2007 the major damage to the the index occurred after the deal was penned. As another pointed out, in the UPS contract it is clearly stated that their will be no COLA in 2008 our contract makes no such assertion. It's well-written excuse, and it makes sense on the surface, I'll give you that but, its also a F-U to all of us who pay attention. They knew when the sent the mailers bragging about preserving the COLA that we would all assume we would get it, and nothing was ever said to contradict that until the week it should show up on our pay checks.