Yellow | No Cola

It was brought up on the truckingboards before TDU :chairshot:had anything to say about it.I believe it was on the roadway forum....

I was so busy ranting about all the potential job losses from lack of contract protections, I didn't fine print the $.17 problem. I guess I was too focused on the big picture. My bad???

Thats UPS, as in parcel not freight. UPS freight doesn't even have a clause for COLA that I've seen.

I think you asume to much as far as the dates go. How do you know what dates and where to apply them. In reference to dates, do they automatically update to new contract or do they have to be specifically changed throuhout the contract.

Article 39
See Section 1 and 4 of old contract
National Master Freight Agreement - Article 39

Here's a good example: they didn't change the dates in sick leave. Effective April 1, 1980 and thereafter

:National Master Freight Agreement - Article 38

I think we can agree to disagree on this issue.

My error on UPS. I thought you were talking about UPS Freight not Parcel.

Regarding not changing the date of the sick leave clause in Article 38:

The sick leave clause went into effect on April 1, 1980 and went on forever: "Effective April 1, 1980 and thereafter, etc., etc."

The COLA clause did not go on forever: "Effective April 1, 2004, and every April 1 thereafter during the life of the agreement etc., etc."

That would be my opinion on why the April 1, 1980 date doesn't get changed in every contract (since it went on forever) and why the COLA clause has to have the dates updated in each contract (since that clause terminates at the end of the contract). Mind you I'm not an attorney, in fact, I don't even play one on TV!! :smile1:

As to why the new COLA dates are spelled out in the UPS contract and not in ours, maybe the union thinks we in freight are smarter than those parcel guys and we can interpret it for ourselves whereas the parcel guys have to have everything explained to them! :hide:
(I say that with affection parcel guys since I was a feeder driver myself back in the day when UPS ground barely went west of the Mississippi River!)

Oh no, now I'll have some parcel guy telling me to "please ingest a bottle of lighter fluid, and swallow a match" like some freight brother (illegitimate probably) told me to do! :hysterical:

My error on UPS. I thought you were talking about UPS Freight not Parcel.

Regarding not changing the date of the sick leave clause in Article 38:

The sick leave clause went into effect on April 1, 1980 and went on forever: "Effective April 1, 1980 and thereafter, etc., etc."

The COLA clause did not go on forever: "Effective April 1, 2004, and every April 1 thereafter during the life of the agreement etc., etc."

I believe it does go on forever thus Article 39

Section 1

This Agreement shall be in full force and effect from April 1, 2003, to and including March 31, 2008, and shall continue from year to year thereafter unless written notice of desire to cancel or terminate this Agreement is served by either party upon the other at least sixty (60) days prior to date of expiration.

Section 4.

Revisions agreed upon or ordered shall be effective as of April 1, 2008 or April 1st of any subsequent contract year.

They didn't change the year on jury duty either: Please explain your theory:

Page 47
http://www.teamster.org/divisions/Freight/2008NMFAnegotiations/pdfs/2008-NationalMasterFreightAgreement2.pdf

In regard to the "effective April 2004"

They have to have a reference point in which to start as this was new language in the 2003 contract, much like:

Sick pay: Effective April 1980

Jury duty: Effective April 2003, prior to that it was Effective April 1979. They changed the language in the 2003 contract.

Now, I have pulled out a old contract from 1998-2003

That contract spells out the effective dates of April 1999, April 2000, April 2001, April 2002. Now new and improved language is negotiated for the 2003 contract to state April 2004 and every year thereafter during the life of the agreement.

If anything, I must say we have all learned how to read contract language a little better in the future.

I believe it does go on forever thus Article 39

Section 1

This Agreement shall be in full force and effect from April 1, 2003, to and including March 31, 2008, and shall continue from year to year thereafter unless written notice of desire to cancel or terminate this Agreement is served by either party upon the other at least sixty (60) days prior to date of expiration.

Section 4.

Revisions agreed upon or ordered shall be effective as of April 1, 2008 or April 1st of any subsequent contract year.

I can only assume that since a new NMFA was agreed upon and approved by the membership before the expiration (March 31, 2008) of the old contract, that Section 4 (that you mentioned above) kicked in and therefore the old contract ended at midnight of March 31, 2008 and the new one then took effect. In addition, possibly as a formality, either the company or the union or both might have given written notice to terminate the old agreement as of midnight March 31, 2008 just in order to legally satisfy Section 1. These are just assumptions on my part in order for the conditions to strictly conform to the contract provisions.

They didn't change the year on jury duty either: Please explain your theory:

Page 47
http://www.teamster.org/divisions/Freight/2008NMFAnegotiations/pdfs/2008-NationalMasterFreightAgreement2.pdf

The same reasons I gave for the continuation (without changing the date) of the sick leave provisions - neither of those parts (sick leave and jury duty) stated that they would be in effect "for the life of the agreement" the way the COLA conditions were. Both those parts took effect on certain specified dates and since nothing about "life of the agreement" was mentioned in either of those cases I would conclude that they stay in effect forever (or until they are specifically terminated in some future contract).

Definition:

ECI: The 2/3rds of Teamsters who exercised their privilege and voted in favor of the new NMFA. Plus all oxymorons, like me, who don't hate the company, the union, the contract, the COLA, etc., etc., etc., and are willing to come on this forum in spite of the fact that they are obviously *** kissing, jelly fish spined rat finks.:butt kiss::joke:

Definition:

ECI: The 2/3rds of Teamsters who exercised their privilege and voted in favor of the new NMFA. Plus all oxymorons, like me, who don't hate the company, the union, the contract, the COLA, etc., etc., etc., and are willing to come on this forum in spite of the fact that they are obviously *** kissing, jelly fish spined rat finks.:butt kiss::joke:

Larry, just wishes we all made as much as he did when he worked and will make as much as he does now. Then we wouldn't complain all the time.

wolf

Definition:

I will not post it
I will not post it
I will not post it
I will not post it
Any body know how many times I will have to write that to keep Jeff from coming after me. :hysterical: :hide:

Larry, just wishes we all made as much as he did when he worked and will make as much as he does now. Then we wouldn't complain all the time.

You know who wished they made as much as me when I worked? All of my immediate supervisors and every non-union trucker on this board. You know who wished they made as much as I do from my pension? All of my immediate supervisors and every non-union trucker on this board. The point is, everything could be better, but, at least, I am better off than most. For that I am very thankful. And, as I mentioned on another thread, I worked for 32 years and never got a COLA, even though it was in some of the contracts that I worked under. And, obviously, as you have pointed out, I have managed to survive better than most, despite that. And you still owe me that Pepsi, stldude44.

You know who wished they made as much as me when I worked? All of my immediate supervisors and every non-union trucker on this board. You know who wished they made as much as I do from my pension? All of my immediate supervisors and every non-union trucker on this board. The point is, everything could be better, but, at least, I am better off than most. For that I am very thankful. And, as I mentioned on another thread, I worked for 32 years and never got a COLA, even though it was in some of the contracts that I worked under. And, obviously, as you have pointed out, I have managed to survive better than most, despite that. And you still owe me that Pepsi, stldude44.

I heard you were buying the beer Larry. All we had to do was show up in Colorado. :1036316054:

Then why bother with a survey? Why quote a survey to validate a point? Why even poll the members? We can just ask you what common sense says.

I am not saying that Pensions were not the most important issue to the members, I honestly don't know. Does it not seem wrong to use that survey to make a point assuming and implying the results(which are to my knowledge still unreleased) to back up a statement?
I'm guessing that a certain percentage would say that the numbers were skewed even if they were released. A lot of the time people believe what they want to believe. I see your point about not seeing any results of the survey but would everybody believe them even if they saw them? And even if they were allowed to be in the counting process.....like in the NMFA vote, they'd say some kind of fix was in......in certain situations the IBT can't win. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Memo TO STLDUDE44, please be more careful about placeing oxymorons on this thread. YOU sure stirred up a hornets nest!!!!!!!!!!!:hysterical:
I like oxycodone much better than oxymoron.....I just can't seem to get a buzz on oxymorons. I've never tried oxycontin.

I'll ask again... How do you know the results of the freight survey?

Silvertooth,

sorry for the late reply....too much on my plate right now.
After the survey was finished, the Teamsters sent out the results in one of the Teamster Newsletters. In it they showed the related questions and the percentage of replies they got for each question. I hope this answers your question.

The Kinks - Lola

Even though we probably will never ever see another cola in our life times we will always have the song Lola by the The Kinks and I think it says cherry cola in it too.... :whistling:

1006250_dc75166092_m.jpeg