Central Transport | No Direct Deposit

Checks are put in truck mail with plenty of time to get there. At virtually all terminals they arrive on Thursdays. PJAX was the same way, they did not have direct deposit until Vitran purchase. As far as insurance goes, it depends what plan you pick. Go with the 92 plan and you will have low deductibles with a 90/10 payout. As an example, if you have high blood pressure and take lisinopril a 90 day supply is less than 3 dollars as it comes from Manny's own pharmacy.

Thanks for the info on the insurance, you are the only one to give us a good answer. 90/10 is better than the 80/20 we have now.

most banks only put a hold on payroll checks the first time they are deposited, I think i would look into changing banks.

most banks only put a hold on payroll checks the first time they are deposited, I think i would look into changing banks.

I have, but where I live the choices are very limited without driving far distances, and the reason they do that is they were/are trying to push everyone towards DD (they don't care if your company doesn't offer it)

I spoke with a ct driver today and asked about the direct deposit thing. He told me that you will get written up if you cash the check before the date on the check.

there . I remember when they delivered all of the freight that was in the Alvan network. CT drivers pulled the Alvan trailers to the local CT terminal on Saturday, the freight was worked, processed into the CT system, and delivered the following week. The trailers were returned to the Alvan yard that weekend, the gates were locked, like nothing ever happened. Alvan employees came in on Monday, the gates were locked, the terminals were empty, and the phones were forwarded to the local CT terminal, for Alvan customers to track there shipments.]
No. I will have to disagree with part of this. Linehaul drivers knew what was happening by Sat. morning, so we cleaned out our personal gear from the trucks, made few phone calls to city drivers and all employees were notified by phone by the TM by Sunday night. When we came in Monday to turn in our shirts, keys,fuel cards, ect. the gates were not locked. Unless you were out of town, nobody came in on Monday morning to find the gates locked and that they were out of a job. THAT company had more class.

When i say this.i am serious, when i worked there, the reason i was told no direct deposit was bcuz if they did the employes wouldnt come to work on ffriday, n linehaul dont get the check until saturday morning, thats how it was in hammond in
Exact same thing I was told, by more than one manager

In all honesty, if I was told that there was no direct deposit because they did not want employees to be no shows on Fridays, I do not think I would want to work there. I would also think about my hiring practices if I was in Central HR if I had to worry about that. Not sure what the cost would be for direct deposit, but it may be worth it. I was so freaking happy when Vitran finally went to it. It sucked ass not getting your check until midnight on Fridays-Thank god for Saturday bank hours.
Exact same thing I was told, by more than one manager

In all honesty, if I was told that there was no direct deposit because they did not want employees to be no shows on Fridays, I do not think I would want to work there. I would also think about my hiring practices if I was in Central HR if I had to worry about that. Not sure what the cost would be for direct deposit, but it may be worth it. I was so freaking happy when Vitran finally went to it. It sucked ass not getting your check until midnight on Fridays-Thank god for Saturday bank hours.
I must agree with you. That is a BS reason. I honestly don't believe that's the real reason, I think it has to do with costing CT more money. I always thought direct deposit would be more cost effective but it must not be otherwise they would have it. I think it would be a nice gesture to start offering it to their employees. Sometimes little things can go a long way in changing the perception of a company, and sometimes when you do the right thing by making things easier for your employees it pays big dividends. You get treated in life the way you teach people to treat you....If they want us to go the extra mile in this integration they should at least consider direct deposit.

when keylon wanted to go on a two week pay period it was going to save vitran over $100k/yr in the paperwork. just think of all the interest he makes when it sits in the bank a few extra days. most of us will cash it sat and might not clear til mon. plus everyone shows up to work and it does'nt give us something we want.

Like I said its all about the money...Not showing up on Friday has nothing to do with it. After a few write-ups that would solve that if you want your job...This is about money.....Period. I don't expect them to do the right thing. I expect them to do what has always worked for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were told it stems from the 70's attitude of a manager handing the employee a check giving him a pat on the back and saying good job.

At this point I really don't care anymore as long as it clears the bank.....But trust me on this one....it saves them money and that's the bottom line....Nothing more ..nothing less. If it cost them nothing we would have it.

a c.t. driver told me they had a card that they use to get paid with (card got charged on thursday) and alot of the drivers had a ton of hrs by thursday and knew they would'nt get o.t. on friday and alot of call ins. don't know if that's true but driver seemed to be honest, who knows.

We were told it stems from the 70's attitude of a manager handing the employee a check giving him a pat on the back and saying good job.

Since you have been with Vitran/PJAX have you ever been handed your pay envelope and recv'd a hand shake and a pat on the back for a job well done?