SAIA | No lunch

That's not the Saia way. Management lets enough guys off each day to make the numbers look right then overloads the deliveries so by the time the driver finishes delivering, he has a dozen pickup calls waiting on him all closing before 3 p.m. By the time those are taken care of, here comes some more. You look up and all of a sudden it's time to head back to the barn.

amen brothertrucker you hit the nail on the head:bowdown:

Gentlemen, in these troubled times we all need to do what we can to help our company. We owe it to them and just as much as they owe us our lunches. Take your lunch when you need it, work hard, and be productive. If we give up a lunch every now an then in the name of getting the job done and not missing a delivery or pickup, then so be it, it's better than failing to meet our customers expectations and loosing their business. Lost business equals lost jobs, AND I NEED MINE more than I need the $10.

I do not know how long you have been with saia, but give you a little info we get out there on the street me myself all I think about is getting my deliveries off and my pickups lunch is the last thing on my mind, but we earn it and I take it when I can so I think I can say chill with the gungho stuff and we all as city drivers keep doing our job. No lectures please. I have been a city driver for the past seven years and lunch is no big thing to me I can eat and drive, I run a country route but there does come a time when you need 30 I need my job to but I also want to live to work the next day and see my family. Peace out fellow city drivers be safe out there tomorrow!!!!

It would be ok to give the lunch break back occasionally. However, if one continually does that, management expects that you will give it back and plans your deliveries accordingly. The job is difficult enough without having that hanging over your head.

Any seasoned P&D driver understands the importance of getting the deliveries off and making pickups in a timely manner. If you're late there is instant feedback from the customer, and your boss. That should not excuse management from doing the right thing by their employees.

A lunch break is mandated by law and company policy. You are charged the 30 minutes for the lunch break. If you continue to work straight through the day the following happens: (1) it becomes the expected norm of behavior and if you do stop and take a break then you start drawing attention to yourself(and during these times that isn't necessarily good). (2) By not taking your break you allow them to plan according to that. All the numbers used to calculate production come from somewhere and if you run so tight that no breaks are figured in to your run times then you are just making it harder on yourself, and the next person that follows you. (4) By not taking your break you are encouraging illegal behavior and this industry has enough of that without adding to it. And all this is before there is a discussion of how much money the break costs the individual.

Show up to a customer's place of business during their lunch break and see if they are willing to come off break to accept your delivery or help with the pick up. Many don't and will remind you that they are on break and you will wait until they are done. .

it would be ok to give the lunch break back occasionally. However, if one continually does that, management expects that you will give it back and plans your deliveries accordingly. The job is difficult enough without having that hanging over your head.

Any seasoned p&d driver understands the importance of getting the deliveries off and making pickups in a timely manner. If you're late there is instant feedback from the customer, and your boss. That should not excuse management from doing the right thing by their employees.

A lunch break is mandated by law and company policy. You are charged the 30 minutes for the lunch break. If you continue to work straight through the day the following happens: (1) it becomes the expected norm of behavior and if you do stop and take a break then you start drawing attention to yourself(and during these times that isn't necessarily good). (2) by not taking your break you allow them to plan according to that. All the numbers used to calculate production come from somewhere and if you run so tight that no breaks are figured in to your run times then you are just making it harder on yourself, and the next person that follows you. (4) by not taking your break you are encouraging illegal behavior and this industry has enough of that without adding to it. And all this is before there is a discussion of how much money the break costs the individual.

Show up to a customer's place of business during their lunch break and see if they are willing to come off break to accept your delivery or help with the pick up. Many don't and will remind you that they are on break and you will wait until they are done. .

well put bt.

I never said, don't take a lunch, I said take it when you need it. We have much bigger things to worry about then taking or not taking a lunch.

Gentlemen, in these troubled times we all need to do what we can to help our company. We owe it to them and just as much as they owe us our lunches. Take your lunch when you need it, work hard, and be productive. If we give up a lunch every now an then in the name of getting the job done and not missing a delivery or pickup, then so be it, it's better than failing to meet our customers expectations and loosing their business. Lost business equals lost jobs, AND I NEED MINE more than I need the $10.

AMEN, AMEN,and Amen.