FedEx Freight | No more milage pay for CA?

chitownpeddler

TB Veteran
Credits
Someone on facebook was saying California changed their law, and now you get paid by the hour rather than by the mile. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Because they don't have it in writing with a legal binding UNION contract..
How many times must we see more and more examples of this sort of thing before you realize you need it in writing

Realize that you feel the need to spread the word at every opportunity, but would seriously doubt that even the tightest written contract has a clause stating that the company will violate state law to appease you....

Realize that you feel the need to spread the word at every opportunity, but would seriously doubt that even the tightest written contract has a clause stating that the company will violate state law to appease you....
It would absolutely have to be addressed, not just "oh today we are doing it this way now, and there's the door if you don't like it". It would be negotiated on with respect to the law. The law would absolutely be the first and foremost framework of work rules influenced by it, but it wouldn't be corporate just saying here's your new policy we are giving you, and thats that.

It would absolutely have to be addressed, not just "oh today we are doing it this way now, and there's the door if you don't like it". It would be negotiated on with respect to the law. The law would absolutely be the first and foremost framework of work rules influenced by it, but it wouldn't be corporate just saying here's your new policy we are giving you, and thats that.
The company has to follow the law. What could happen if it was addressed in a contract you could bargain for your vacation rate and go from their as a starting point

Someone on facebook was saying California changed their law, and now you get paid by the hour rather than by the mile. Has anyone heard anything about this?
From the Gospel According To Management, the recently enacted California Farm Bill (effective Jan. 1 2016), designed to protect farmworkers from being cheated out of legally entitled breaks, contains language regulating piece-work compensation. This also applies to California domiciled mileage-compensated drivers. FedEx is raising our hourly wages to compensate, some of us will gain slightly, others will lose slightly. FedEx says blame Gov. Brown, there's nothing else they can do.

I did the math on my own situation, will pretty much wash out except for vias, I'll lose a bit (I go BayArea-Kettleman City). It's a fluid situation, they haven't worked out all the details, but we'll be punching in and punching out like P&D drivers. Let's keep an eye on them, I don't trust their math skills

I don't know why they couldn't just consider the road drivers salary and adjust the salary as bids change that way the pay doesn't change.

I don't know why they couldn't just consider the road drivers salary and adjust the salary as bids change that way the pay doesn't change.
That's almost impossible due to all of the variables involved in one day's work...with mileage pay it's the same whether you turn the run in 8 hrs or 10 hrs and with my meet and turn, the hours worked vary daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly....and could only imagine the variation of hours worked by those on hub turns, not to mention any VIA's.

From the Gospel According To Management, the recently enacted California Farm Bill (effective Jan. 1 2016), designed to protect farmworkers from being cheated out of legally entitled breaks, contains language regulating piece-work compensation. This also applies to California domiciled mileage-compensated drivers. FedEx is raising our hourly wages to compensate, some of us will gain slightly, others will lose slightly. FedEx says blame Gov. Brown, there's nothing else they can do.

I did the math on my own situation, will pretty much wash out except for vias, I'll lose a bit (I go BayArea-Kettleman City). It's a fluid situation, they haven't worked out all the details, but we'll be punching in and punching out like P&D drivers. Let's keep an eye on them, I don't trust their math skills
A couple of people have said they will be making $35.00 per hour under the new rules. Are they raising the road driver's pay by that much?

A couple of people have said they will be making $35.00 per hour under the new rules. Are they raising the road driver's pay by that much?
When you factor what we make vs how many hours we work per day, that is about average pay, as stated before some drivers will get a small raise, others a small pay cut....and it's actually less than overtime pay for a city driver in my area.

Line haul has change in California for FedEx drivers;
Yesterday at FedEx Frt Devore (SBR)was an announcement of line haul pay, line pay will no longer be mileage pay.
It will now be hourly pay at $35 an hour, this will eliminate drop and hook, scale inspection and delays. No more extras description added to your pay...it's all included in your hourly pay.
$35 dollars an hour, but it's all straight time. I think now you'll see more drivers driving a lot more slower now on highways.

I just got some more information on line haul drivers, when they work the dock they will be dropping down to 26.50 if you have to work the dock.
Lucky for us at Nature Best, this law doesn't apply to us, because we are under a bargaining agreement (CBA) we run line at night and get paid by mileage, plus $25 for store drop and $25 back haul pickups.
We also get $25 for drop trailers and $25 pick trailers, and that's each driver, we run in teams.
Good luck my old brothers of Viking Freight and Fedex, hope this decision is the best intention for you guys.

Last edited: