FedEx Freight | No more milage pay for CA?

"The new section does two things. First, it clarifies and settles the pay requirements for mandated rest and recovery breaks and other nonproductive time going forward. " sounds like people will now be paid whilest siting on there arses.
I love California...

I've never passed up so many Fedex freight guys or seen so many FXF trucks on the side of the road than today on I-10 headed east towards Blythe.

I wonder how many angry inbound supervisors there are today?

There are a lot of drivers with reading comprehension problems...
So are we saying that FedEx is also wrong in their interpretation, equating mileage pay with piece rate pay? Same goes for task pay (drop/hook/etc)?

Should they not switch to hourly, incurring what is said to be 10% higher cost?

I've seen where it states pay for breaks wait time etc... But nothing on no mileage pay in CA??? I think someone has it a little confused. It could be be but I've haven't seen or read anything like that...

Skeeter, kindly re read the article you posted. Companies are required to report average hourly wage in every job task class, thus causing nightmares in the computer room. All mileage time would need to be accounted for, break time, hook time, drop time, fuel time; and all averaged out, on top of video time, meeting time, dock time, butt wiping time, break time...etceteras. All averaged to prove driver compensation was above minimum wage. Each has to be reported separately on the employee's pay check.

Or, the company could pay hourly. Other benefits? only a moron speeds while being paid hourly. Given that California Road Drivers have huge numbers of catastrophic wrecks while speeding in bad weather, this is a win-win. Forces them to slow down. Second benefit? If you want to get paid for pre-trips and post trips, you actually have to do them.

As additional information, you can google Anne Ferro, former Administrator of the FMCSA. She called for hourly pay for all truck drivers in Amerika, 5 years back.

Welcome to 2016. The year that hourly wages for Road drivers will start marching across the nation. As goes California, so goes the nation.

ST

So are we saying that FedEx is also wrong in their interpretation, equating mileage pay with piece rate pay? Same goes for task pay (drop/hook/etc)?

Not at all SwampRatt. They can do what ever they want to. But I fail to see where this is the California law for mileage drivers being forced to hourly.
It's talking about lunch breaks and wait time which is being abused by almost all states...

I would think that the FedEx legal dept. has determined that mileage is indeed "piece work" and should be paid hourly . Keep in mind that truck drivers are only a small segment of this law.

Not at all SwampRatt. They can do what ever they want to. But I fail to see where this is the California law for mileage drivers being forced to hourly.
It's talking about lunch breaks and wait time which is being abused by almost all states...

Skeeter, it's either pay hourly or report so much crap it's near impossible to report it all.

Skeeter, kindly re read the article you posted. Companies are required to report average hourly wage in every job task class, thus causing nightmares in the computer room. All mileage time would need to be accounted for, break time, hook time, drop time, fuel time; and all averaged out, on top of video time, meeting time, dock time, butt wiping time, break time...etceteras. All averaged to prove driver compensation was above minimum wage. Each has to be reported separately on the employee's pay check.

Or, the company could pay hourly. Other benefits? only a moron speeds while being paid hourly. Given that California Road Drivers have huge numbers of catastrophic wrecks while speeding in bad weather, this is a win-win. Forces them to slow down. Second benefit? If you want to get paid for pre-trips and post trips, you actually have to do them.

As additional information, you can google Anne Ferro, former Administrator of the FMCSA. She called for hourly pay for all truck drivers in Amerika, 5 years back.

Welcome to 2016. The year that hourly wages for Road drivers will start marching across the nation. As goes California, so goes the nation.

ST
We already do that it's called a time clock, trip card, and log book... But it would take the stress off a certain segment of drivers and they would slow down. But it will make no difference to some I'm sure. It's the container haulers at the ports that would benefit the most from this.

We already do that it's called a time clock, trip card, and log book... But it would take the stress off a certain segment of drivers and they would slow down. But it will make no difference to some I'm sure. It's the container haulers at the ports that would benefit the most from this.

I agree; however, the company would have to break it down a great deal farther than they already do. Just the same, they benefit from this in multiple ways. And so far, the drivers do as well.

I agree; however, the company would have to break it down a great deal farther than they already do. Just the same, they benefit from this in multiple ways. And so far, the drivers do as well.

What I see UPS freight and FedEx freight doing is making puddle jumpers out of all their line haul. (Meet and turns dock workers) All their cross country or anything over a certain mileage go on their logistics UPS Freight just bought Coyote logistics. Does XPO / Conway ring a bell.

I think this has been the master plan for quite some time. It's OK with me I'm slowing down anyway. I probably hang it up in another 4 years Lord willing...

What I see UPS freight and FedEx freight doing is making puddle jumpers out of all their line haul. (Meet and turns dock workers) All their cross country or anything over a certain mileage go on their logistics UPS Freight just bought Coyote logistics. Does XPO / Conway ring a bell.

I think this has been the master plan for quite some time. It's OK with me I'm slowing down anyway. I probably hang it up in another 4 years Lord willing...

You just noticed this? Where the hell have you been the last 20 years?

ST
I started a thread in XPO Logistics\Con-way forum.
http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/th...rs-whats-going-on-with-the-mileage-pay.71867/

It doesn't matter if you agree with the politics of California or not , the fact is their policies and laws tend to flow across the country - kind of like the weather , from west to east. This would be huge ( in my opinion ) for all kinds of reasons. I wonder how other national trucking companies will handle the implementation of this law.