FedEx Freight | No more milage pay for CA?

I started a thread in XPO Logistics\Con-way forum.
http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/th...rs-whats-going-on-with-the-mileage-pay.71867/

It doesn't matter if you agree with the politics of California or not , the fact is their policies and laws tend to flow across the country - kind of like the weather , from west to east. This would be huge ( in my opinion ) for all kinds of reasons. I wonder how other national trucking companies will handle the implementation of this law.
I love California. Best state in the union for the working man...

Just curious, what really makes you guys think that paying road drivers by the hour will make them drive slower??
Our city drivers currently get paid by the hour and most still drive/work as hard/fast as possible to get the job done safely and as efficiently possible!! We have hostlers that get paid by the hour and if you're not careful on the yard, they'll run your ass over!! Road drivers are no different!! Regardless of how we're paid, at the end of the day most still want to get home to spend time with their families, even if it means losing a few hours a week to do so....changing the way we're paid isn't going to change that...IMO.

Just curious, what really makes you guys think that paying road drivers by the hour will make them drive slower??
Our city drivers currently get paid by the hour and most still drive/work as hard/fast as possible to get the job done safely and as efficiently possible!! We have hostlers that get paid by the hour and if you're not careful on the yard, they'll run your ass over!! Road drivers are no different!! Regardless of how we're paid, at the end of the day most still want to get home to spend time with their families, even if it means losing a few hours a week to do so....changing the way we're paid isn't going to change that...IMO.
Lot of truth in what you are saying...

When she was in charge at FMCSA Anne Ferro was a big proponent of hourly pay for all truck drivers. As info, everyone I know is making more money under the new pay system.

I would think it depends on what pay scale your center is as to whether your making more or less. Top pay scale doubt very seriously they would be making more. Is 34 dollars an hour for every road driver regardless of scale or does that rate fluctuate depending on the different pay scales?

As for me, I'm going 55. I'll get there when I get there.
This reminds me of some UPS Parcel guys we used to run with outta GBO several years ago. While driving down I-77 at 60 in a 65 zone, one said to his buddies that he's only gotten X amount of hours this week and he was gonna back it down to 55 in order to make some more money....said, "I'll get there when I get there."

Lot of truth in what you are saying...

The truth is it's the culture at FedEx. It's ingrained in the drivers psyche that they have to move like that at all times. They're constantly downtrodden and if they let up, it's worse.

On the City side they post your stops per hour from the previous day each morning and highlight your numbers. It's designed to publicly shame the drivers who under perform. They don't take into account what may have taken place on his route, only that he failed to meet the required minimum. FedEx believes people work best when working in fear. They like to discourage you from taking an actual lunch break as well. When delayed at a stop, the first thing they tell you is "switch your Intermec to lunch to get it out of the way" You see, we had to take lunch before the sixth hour. I could continue but you get the gist of the culture from these snippets.

I can't speak for all 367 service centers, but I can speak for Red's from first hand experience. It's not a friendly place to work.

The truth is it's the culture at FedEx. It's ingrained in the drivers psyche that they have to move like that at all times. They're constantly downtrodden and if they let up, it's worse.

On the City side they post your stops per hour from the previous day each morning and highlight your numbers. It's designed to publicly shame the drivers who under perform. They don't take into account what may have taken place on his route, only that he failed to meet the required minimum. FedEx believes people work best when working in fear. They like to discourage you from taking an actual lunch break as well. When delayed at a stop, the first thing they tell you is "switch your Intermec to lunch to get it out of the way" You see, we had to take lunch before the sixth hour. I could continue but you get the gist of the culture from these snippets.

I can't speak for all 367 service centers, but I can speak for Red's from first hand experience. It's not a friendly place to work.

Probably more laid back working for the state I would guess so you should be in good shape.

Probably more laid back working for the state I would guess so you should be in good shape.

You can't work like a gentleman at Fedex. I've seen so many despicable, unsafe maneuvers by fellow coworkers just trying to get back to the yard before 1800 it's unreal. You all remember them insisting we make the 1800 gate time. Things like passing me and fellow motorists on the shoulder in stop and go traffic, with haz-mat on board no less. Rear end collisions are a frequent occurrence.

Last edited:
You can't work like a gentleman at Fedex. I've seen so many despicable, unsafe maneuvers by fellow coworkers just trying to get back to the yard before 1800 it's unreal. Passing me and fellow motorists on the shoulder in atop and go tradfic, with haz-mat on board no less. Rear end collisions are a frequent occurrence.

This whole post is BS, how many rear end collisions occurred at your old terminal?

Why don't we start with what exactly is "bs" and work forward from there?

Ok, I don't for one second believe rear end collisions are "frequent" occurrence nor do I believe passing on the shoulder is. Did it happen once maybe but not frequently. I'm continually amazed at how you guys talk about being brave and not afraid of the company then talk about doing crap like this out of fear. I heard Their 6:00 o'clock bullcrap when I worked there and I never paid one bit of attention to it nobody ever said a word. I took my lunch when I wanted to I peddled my route the way I wanted and never had s problem and so did 99% of the guys. The trouble makers like yourself alway seemed to have the trouble and couldn't figure out why.