Yellow | No more Railboxes??? Roadway Containers???

screwy louiey

TB Veteran
Credits
I was @ the Norfolk Southern rail yard today and was told as of 9/1/2006 there will be no more trailers put onto the rail. We were relocating alot of mty's to 411 and today was officially the last day. Everything must bea container. If it is on wheels it won't go.

Wanted to know if this is a regional thing with NS or all over and how does this come into play with us moving freight over the rail.

screwy louiey said:
I was @ the Norfolk Southern rail yard today and was told as of 9/1/2006 there will be no more trailers put onto the rail. We were relocating alot of mty's to 411 and today was officially the last day. Everything must bea container. If it is on wheels it won't go.

Wanted to know if this is a regional thing with NS or all over and how does this come into play with us moving freight over the rail.
I haven't heard that.......yet. Keep us informed there SL.:1036316054: DS.

Rail Boxes

screwy louiey said:

I think that this is a industry wide move by the railroads to go to ALL containers .In a another post here(Truckingboards) BNSF is also changing to ALL CONTAINERS.

Thanks Mike,
those rail boxes we bought for cheap were for a reason and taking our freight off the rail was an indication of this happening. We had a major move here and had so much freight we had to rail most of the west coast to keep up and on top of it. Wonder what will be the next alternative when this happens again.

Talked to the steward yesterday, all 231 bids to the Heights usually go to Willow Springs rail on the way back. Says he hasn't heard of any changes. Will keep you posted as to any changes.

screwy louiey said:

It seems BNSF will start reducing their rail trailer schedules starting 9/1/06 heading out west. They want the room to add more containers to the train. This means more freight on rubber for drivers. I do not know how much we run on BNSF, but this could start their competition to start doing the same.

Good news for us all, I hope.
Check out the link and be informed...........Jimi

http://domino.bnsf.com/website/updates.nsf/0/86FE60435FE88B7F862571990068E0AD?Open

yo....

why carry tires all the way to the west coast and back?????

stack trains are the future for intermodal freight and getting mis matched containers back to the west coast is what long haul freight companies can do for ocean container lines....

puts dock guys to work at both ends too......

mikeeeeeeeee

ps; the best news is our pups won't get beat up so bad......

MIKEEEEE said:
yo....

why carry tires all the way to the west coast and back?????

stack trains are the future for intermodal freight and getting mis matched containers back to the west coast is what long haul freight companies can do for ocean container lines....

puts dock guys to work at both ends too......

mikeeeeeeeee

ps; the best news is our pups won't get beat up so bad......

Stack trains for LTL will add an extra costs for frame service and handling .....rubber on rail is cheaper, now the cost will go up....maybe MORE freight will now be put back on the road?..........KK

Yea, I want to see the railroad tell UPS that they will no longer pull brown trailers!
Remmember what happens everytime the supplier trys to tell the customer what they want or what they can or cannot do.(Anyone out there remember the "New" coke?)

On my next trip to the rail head here (671) I will ask. I was there last night droping off a Dallas load in a rail box....

Noticed the JB Hunt and Schnieder intermodal trailers lately and their own container chassis at the rail yard. This is getting interesting as I believe UPS has its own special intermodal trailer that can be stacked.

screwy louiey said:
Noticed the JB Hunt and Schnieder intermodal trailers lately and their own container chassis at the rail yard. This is getting interesting as I believe UPS has its own special intermodal trailer that can be stacked.

UPS discontinued moving their containers by double stack several years ago. They are now all left on the chassis and operated as regular trailers.

They were only stacked on certain traffic lanes, and there are only 100 railcars with the 56' wells needed to haul them stacked.

R686ST said:
UPS discontinued moving their containers by double stack several years ago. They are now all left on the chassis and operated as regular trailers.

They were only stacked on certain traffic lanes, and there are only 100 railcars with the 56' wells needed to haul them stacked.

Welcome to the boards R686ST. I'm glad you found us.

R686ST said:

When you fill entire TOFC trains for a railroad, (like UPS) the railroad will ramp a conestoga wagon if you tell em to.

R686ST said:

Thanks for the info and welcome aboard, wonder if will move more containers off the ports to start putting that freight on it trailers.