no more safety awards?

disturbed1

TB Lurker
Credits
just read a posting on the window at term 52 that stated due to the economy that there will be no more safety awards(savings bonds)...no more trips to atlantic city after 4 years without a accident....guess there were over 100 of us safe drivers who had no accidents that were lucky enough to make it to a.c....letter stated due to the economy, nemf needs to use their money more wisely....one of the better things about this company is now gone...no more bonds just t-shirts...woooooo hoooooo...xxxl shirts for everyone!!!:1036316054:

That sux. Hopefully when things turn around they'll implement another safety incentive program of some sort. Guess I'll have to frame the one savings bond I got.

no more reason to watch your p's and q's or to work thru that comp injury. The old man just needs the money more than we do boo hoo for him. I guess it will cost him more in the long run, with all the increase in accidents and comp claims that are sure to happen.

no more reason to watch your p's and q's or to work thru that comp injury. The old man just needs the money more than we do boo hoo for him. I guess it will cost him more in the long run, with all the increase in accidents and comp claims that are sure to happen.
I don't mean to play Devil's advocate here but I think all accident's go on your DAC and it makes it really difficult to hold down or get a job. So the incentive for you to be a safe driver is your future career, C'mon we have jobs ev
everyone has to trim a little expenses. I don't care how much $ the old man has, All I care about is that I have a good job and my family can eat this week.

While I did not like seeing the safety bonus go away, (especially for those that are close) it is happening everywhere in EVERY industry!! Fidelity laid off 6000 on Friday and there were a few others. If the safety bonus is what makes an employee safe, that is a problem. I know that all of you do a great safe job, hold on and we will prevail. If employees begin to start having accidents (being unsafe), they will loose their jobs!!

While I did not like seeing the safety bonus go away, (especially for those that are close) it is happening everywhere in EVERY industry!! Fidelity laid off 6000 on Friday and there were a few others. If the safety bonus is what makes an employee safe, that is a problem. I know that all of you do a great safe job, hold on and we will prevail. If employees begin to start having accidents (being unsafe), they will loose their jobs!!

How would you feel if they took away your sales bonus ??

Just sayin

How would you feel if they took away your sales bonus ??

Just sayin

Now if I were in sales and that were the case...........then be it! In tough times, all need to concede.

If you have a sales force that is just driven to do a good job by their "potential" bonus, that is a problem of a poor employee. Kinda like a driver doing a "safe" job just to get the safety award. Yes bonuses and perks are nice, but they are just that, bonuses and perks.

Do a good job for your employer, portray a positive and strong image of you and your company and all will prevail and succeed.

Now if I were in sales and that were the case...........then be it! In tough times, all need to concede.

If you have a sales force that is just driven to do a good job by their "potential" bonus, that is a problem of a poor employee. Kinda like a driver doing a "safe" job just to get the safety award. Yes bonuses and perks are nice, but they are just that, bonuses and perks.

Do a good job for your employer, portray a positive and strong image of you and your company and all will prevail and succeed.

When you have a company like NEMF that recruits so heavily based on their bonus program, it really is dirty pool to then change the rules.

The proper way to do something like this is to announce it now for the end of the year.

Now I am not sure what line of work you are in sir, but I am pretty sure you are not a driver. So unless you are a clerk or dockworker you get a bonus once a quarter. If that bonus goes bye bye, I am sure you would not embrace it.

Sorry, but that is a simple fact. If you say otherwise, I would say that you are a person who does not tell truths.

When you have a company like NEMF that recruits so heavily based on their bonus program, it really is dirty pool to then change the rules.

The proper way to do something like this is to announce it now for the end of the year.

Now I am not sure what line of work you are in sir, but I am pretty sure you are not a driver. So unless you are a clerk or dockworker you get a bonus once a quarter. If that bonus goes bye bye, I am sure you would not embrace it.

Sorry, but that is a simple fact. If you say otherwise, I would say that you are a person who does not tell truths.

I guess I do not agree with you that NEMF recruits heavily based on the bonuses?!

Also, I can see why NEMF is cutting back on things including this safety bonus. I feel that if you are a driver within say 1 year (?) of getting it, you should be still eligible. Now I think you are quite sure on your assumptions of me, but I will not openly disclose them, no need to.

No I would not embrace a loss of a bonus, but if it needs to be, then it needs to be. Now I must ask you! You make it sound like that management and sales (and others-drivers?) always get a quarterly bonus! That is not the case. To be eligible and receive a bonus, you must meet or exceed criteria that are set in place. If you do not do that, then you do not get a quarterly bonus........and YES there were a couple quarters (2008) in which I did not attain it.

its like having a raffle
collect all the money from people that are hoping for a win
and then find out that there really were no prizes
its still a good idea to drive safely to keep our jobs

i heard that management at the lower level and all the clerks didnt get a raise last year and more than likely will get stiffed again. nemf big boys know that jobs are tough and not many people will walk out. these people should go find jobs in other fields. they drive 15 yr old cars to work while others have new cars with all the frills and chauffers and private jets:butt kiss::butt kiss::butt kiss:

I guess I do not agree with you that NEMF recruits heavily based on the bonuses?!

Also, I can see why NEMF is cutting back on things including this safety bonus. I feel that if you are a driver within say 1 year (?) of getting it, you should be still eligible. Now I think you are quite sure on your assumptions of me, but I will not openly disclose them, no need to.

No I would not embrace a loss of a bonus, but if it needs to be, then it needs to be. Now I must ask you! You make it sound like that management and sales (and others-drivers?) always get a quarterly bonus! That is not the case. To be eligible and receive a bonus, you must meet or exceed criteria that are set in place. If you do not do that, then you do not get a quarterly bonus........and YES there were a couple quarters (2008) in which I did not attain it.

ON the sales side they push the bonus very, very hard as a way to make a lot of money.

As far as having certain criteria, I assume that in order to earn a safety award you must reach a certain criteria.

My point was how would you feel if you reached the goals that you were asked to reach and, then, they said , eh nevermind, we changed our minds...Things are tough and we will not be giving you the bonus you thought you earned.

If you do not reach those goals.....thats different. You do not deserve it.

ON the sales side they push the bonus very, very hard as a way to make a lot of money.

As far as having certain criteria, I assume that in order to earn a safety award you must reach a certain criteria.

My point was how would you feel if you reached the goals that you were asked to reach and, then, they said , eh nevermind, we changed our minds...Things are tough and we will not be giving you the bonus you thought you earned.

If you do not reach those goals.....thats different. You do not deserve it.

I have too say here that this sounds like an unfair practice especially if you've met the criteria and were counting on that pay to feed your family. There is a big but here safety bonuses do not work like that for this company they are savings bonds and an atlantic city trip not the same as a $ bonus that you work towards as part of your salary (IE: Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation)

3 things I want to say:

1 - While I have said that I understand the decision that was made at corporate on the safety bonus, I do not fully agree with it being totally gone.............especially for those that have 4 years in to the program and are close to the big award.

2 - If you are counting on feeding your family because of the bonus............your wrong to assume that you will get it.............whether it was earned or the program was changed.

3 - I would sure like to know what the other companies do for a safety program and if they have made any adjustments......let alone if they have one?

Mr. Shevell have made a multi-million dollar investment in equipment because he strongly believes that there will be a "event" that with have a HUGE impact on the freight industry and he intends to have NEMF be a positive recipient of that. Now I think that says a lot for him and it is a great thing for NEMF..........but there are those that would rather disagree with me and have a their bonus back. I would rather have my job for the long term.

And what do you think that big "event" that Mr. Shevell is waiting for to happen is my friend ?

And what do you think that big "event" that Mr. Shevell is waiting for to happen is my friend ?

Come-on........you have to ask when your a gentleman that joined the Teamsters 37 years ago?

Fact is that the trucking industry has changed "10-FOLD" + in the past 30 years. Just look at the names on the trucks.......or should I say the names that are no longer there/here!!

Listen, I am more playing devils advocate here. I do not think that a safety award is all that big of a deal, especially when it is a savings bond and trip. Yes the sales and ops teams work on bonuses on a much bigger scale.

And yes sales and ops people count on these bonuses to feel their families. I just get a little sick and tired of constantly getting beat on by the big guys and having my perks chipped away.

Next companies will stop matching 401k contributions, etc.

All i can tell you my friend is that it will be a sorry day for employees at all non- union companies if yr goes under which i seriously doubt is going to happen. Oh i forgot nemf is a union company, yer right. I have many driver friends at nemf and they do not think like you, but then again your a management kind of guy, right?

You know everyone plays so PC. Me I say screw em, with the exception of NPME I will dance in the streets when Yellow goes down.

Yellow has been the most arrogant trucking company since I came into the industry. Every company has good and bad, but the culture of Yellow is so cocky, that it is fun watching them struggle a bit.

Sorry if that bothers people, but I am just being honest

Friend of the frog,
If people count on feeding their families with a bonus......shame on them!!
Also, I agree that YRC is extremely arrogant for the poor service they offer, what they have done to some good companies (what goes around comes around!), and mostly I feel bad for those (dedicated employees) that HAVE, ARE, & WILL suffer through this YRC ordeal...........but I will be sad day if/when something happens. I am amazed at the YRC upper management saying that there will only be 3750 jobs cut. I would estimate that when a city combines it's Yellow and Roadway operations, you will be lucky if you have 2/3's of the employees working.

Roady,
Your dedication is impressive, but I would not be a bettin man on this one. You should be proud that you got your time in.