Yellow | No more slick side pups

Docksteward

Teamsters Local 71
Credits
I was over in the garage today and one of the mechanics told me that RDWY was starting to deadline some of the slick side pups. He also said RDWY had purchased over a 1,000 or so "new" deck trailers. Anybody else heard of this or seen any of the "new refurbished" pups?? DS.

I know I keep seeing more and more long boxes.. New ones!! I have yet to see any new pups.. Everything seems to be going more and more to 53's from what I have seen...

Docksteward said:
I was over in the garage today and one of the mechanics told me that RDWY was starting to deadline some of the slick side pups. He also said RDWY had purchased over a 1,000 or so "new" deck trailers. Anybody else heard of this or seen any of the "new refurbished" pups?? DS.
I think they want more 53 foot vans to save money. No cost for dolly,tags on the 2nd pup,maintenance on the 2nd pup. Cost savings on drop and hook. And all it costs them is 1 1/2 foot of trailer lost per trip. 28+28=56 divided by 2 pups per trip =1 1/2. That is how I got the 1 1/2

new pups start with a 261 number and Toxic sir, your over thinking your math....its 3 feet per trip...56-53=3, and I think that the plan was to go to using long boxes alot more but new policy from the railroad is after the first of the year stackable containers only, no more trailers.

yo guys...

think they might be looking to get rid of some 8 lug trailers and go to 10 lug trailers to make the tire pool more standard????

here @ YELLOW our new pups are big R spec'd.......

they have the rear axle pushed back about 6" and have square landing gear....

i guess we'll see as time goes on how they standardize us more and more.....

mikeeeeeeeee

I know in a meeting a while ago they said the give the old pups to Wabash. They refurb them and send the back and Roadway pays $100 a month to lease them. I don't know if this is what they are doing with the old ones or not.

But they do take longer to unload and dig the hot freight off of the nose. And you cant split them up for 2 diff. terminals like we do now. We can run a pup of Ok. City and a pup of Alb. together to get Ok City their freight and when another pup of Alb. freight gets there run them together to Alb. I dont know if I like the idea of 53' trailers that much.

MIKEEEEE said:
yo guys...

think they might be looking to get rid of some 8 lug trailers and go to 10 lug trailers to make the tire pool more standard????

here @ YELLOW our new pups are big R spec'd.......

they have the rear axle pushed back about 6" and have square landing gear....

i guess we'll see as time goes on how they standardize us more and more.....

mikeeeeeeeee
Hey MIKEEEEE.......I'll stroll over to our new neighbor and check out their new pups. I have seen a few and that new logo looks good on the side. I know a few of the new 53's had the round landing gear. I did see on a new twin screw Volvo there were 3 settings on the fifth wheel. The one in the middle said "Yellow"!! I guess "standardization" is OK.....but I miss that Big R on the tractor!! DS.

Toxic said:
I think they want more 53 foot vans to save money. No cost for dolly,tags on the 2nd pup,maintenance on the 2nd pup. Cost savings on drop and hook. And all it costs them is 1 1/2 foot of trailer lost per trip. 28+28=56 divided by 2 pups per trip =1 1/2. That is how I got the 1 1/2
There definitely cutting into my digits! How can I charge them 1.5 D/h's with a box!

Toxic said:
I bet it would not change any man power at all....
We run alot of the small terminals freight through to akron for them. If they keep sending them 13000 lbs. how could they not need more people. Unless we keep picking up less and less freight!

Noticed at 241(cincinnati) there were at aleast 10-15 slick side pups with ROADWAY painted over 2 more in shop get covered up.

Tuesday our Garage manager was walking around with a guy from YRC looking at some of the older pups backed to the dock. They were looking at the floors and condition of the walls, etc. What a life!! DS.

We have been told to red tag all old holland trailers. You know the ones with holland colors but roadway logos.

sarge said:
We have been told to red tag all old holland trailers. You know the ones with holland colors but roadway logos.
Actually I think them came from Dugan they had the same colors and were rolling piles of junk!!!

the pups that are to be sold are 18 to 20 years old.i talked to the shop people.also new freightliner sleepers single axles ,are coming they are like the yellow ones.but they are all blue and say roadway your way on them.