SAIA | No Teams

renegaderider

TB Lurker
Credits
Team out of FON says they are doing away with all teams at there barn come May 31. He says because they going hourly in California. They might lose sum drivers sum of them teams been running teams for a long time and they can't have that many runs for all them drivers to go solo

The current hourly is dependent on what terminal you are out of, starting next week it is going to $33xx while driving & $20xx when not driving regardless of what terminal - how it is going to be calculated nobody seems to know for sure... so if you see a Saia driver out there running down the freeway at 50 mph there is a good chance they are based out of CA

edit: no overtime either

Last edited:
The current hourly is dependent on what terminal you are out of, starting next week it is going to $33xx while driving & $20xx when not driving regardless of what terminal - how it is going to be calculated nobody seems to know for sure... so if you see a Saia driver out there running down the freeway at 50 mph there is a good chance they are based out of CA

edit: no overtime either
I believe everything they do will be on the clock , hook ,fuel, wait on load or meet man , etc, etc . They can punch on 30 or 45 mins before gate time , not sure though.

Remember what starts here will go everywhere when it benefits these companies. They can create 40 hour a week runs.

I apologize if this commentary isn't welcome, yet we at FedEx Freight went hourly on the road in CA back in December. Everyone I know is making more money, and I do mean a significant amount. Added about $15,000 a year to my salary. I drive 55 and take my time doing a proper pre-trip and post-trip. Of course, there were lots of drivers claiming the hourly was the end of the world....didn't work out that way. Perhaps you should give it a chance and see how it actually works?

ST 30 year safe driver

Another smooth move by Commie-fornia. Why am I not surprised...
Is it a bad thing that all your work done, driving or not, will be compensated now? I don't understand where you're coming from if you're a driver.

I hope that many states start following suit and in addition mandate overtime for 40+ hours for truckers.

If it raises the cost of doing business or shipping costs, so be it. What's fair is fair in my book.

Is it a bad thing that all your work done, driving or not, will be compensated now? I don't understand where you're coming from if you're a driver.

I hope that many states start following suit and in addition mandate overtime for 40+ hours for truckers.

If it raises the cost of doing business or shipping costs, so be it. What's fair is fair in my book.

Some work more efficiently than others. Those folks don't deserve to make less for the same amount of work. Hourly should be reserved for jobs that don't involve a predetermined amount of work or for manning a post.

The argument can be made either way on which way is better - I think that the issue that many are having is the way that it is being handled. now I have no intention of bad mouthing a company on an open forum but I will say that we are over a week in to it & many are still unsure how anything is being calculated... but I guess we are going to find out come Wednesday

I use the example of the other guy that runs out same time I do. He runs 520 miles a night I will do 700 with more trips and I get back before him. Why should I make less running by the hour than him because I'm more efficient? I'm glad it may work in Cali but as we have learned about other laws that originated in Cali. They can keep them there.

Every state needs to end drivers working without compensation. Every job needs to be hourly. From LTL to OTR, dumptrucks, grain haulers, and everything else.

Every state needs to end drivers working without compensation. Every job needs to be hourly. From LTL to OTR, dumptrucks, grain haulers, and everything else.
Maybe if they changed the law so all time on the job was compensated with guidelines on how long certain tasks take to complete so slackers don't abuse the hourly rule and leave the mileage pay.

Like 30 min for a COMPLETE pretrip/postrip
15 min to fuel
15 min per break and hook
Punch in 30 min before gate time
All waiting time at the terminals compensated by the hour, even at a reduced rate would be alright since we're not 'working', just giving away our time.
Getting breakdown pay as soon as it's called in.

I'm sure there are more things that can be added but this is just a general idea of what should happen.

These trucking companies have been taking advantage of lax labor laws and it's about time the little guy gets a bone.