Nobody Wins

chuckandbob

TB Lurker
Credits
I understand the thoughts of many that have posted, but in the final analysis, nobody will win if there is a strike. Right now, there are a number of competitors that have the drivers and capacity to soak up the business that will be lost. The company will lose more than they think, and there won't be as many Oak Harbor drivers hired on at other companies. It could have been avoided, starting many years ago with honest dialog between both parties. There is plenty of blame to go around, but it is up to the owners to reach out to the employees to build trust. I don't believe that this was ever done.

I'm hoping for a miracle, and everything is settled.

Lets just say we were on strike...were still obligated not to share "trade secrets" or we risk ground for termination after it ends (according to company agreement)...now lets say "hypothetically" many drivers leave with a bad attitudes about their previous employer, or vote in a crappy contract and then choose to leave, they are no longer bound to those rules...so dont you think the customer base would slowly transfer over to another company that can assure continued, quality service by that same smiling face??? Just a thought. When it comes down to it its all about how much it costs, what they get out of it, and how much they like the person they contact. Our people go above and beyond what we are expected to do. Our "replacements" wont care cause they wont be making crap.

Of course nobody wins in a strike... that's why it is the option of last resort. In this case, whether the VP's want to admit it or not, it will be a case of terminal warfare for OHFL.

Because they won't win. You don't think the union employees aren't aware of their so-called "contingincy plans"? I guarantee you the union leadership is very aware of their plans, and again... it doesn't matter.

Their Achilles heel is the one thing they cannot defend against, and it will be the death of OHFL. Or "Pacific Transport Services". Or whatever name they try to hide their operations under.

And as for us... the union employees of OHFL, most of us feel that if we are pushed into a strike against this employer, especially given what their plans are and what they've threatened us with, we aren't just going out on strike to hurt them...

IT WILL BE TO KILL THEM!

And mark my words well... we will kill them. Forever. Let the church say "Amen"!

So of course, hope we can come to an agreement, but be prepared for battle, and be prepared to stand up like free men and women and fight for yourselves and your families.

Have a little pride in who we are, and what we stand for, and then be willing to put it all on the line...

just a question,how old is the top management at OHFL.is there a chance that they just don't care if the company folds and they can make more money by selling the assets.

Now isn't the time to be pushing the waters at your operation unless you have a good amount of cash to hold you over while you're without a job. We've got along with a lot of other outfits in the region just waiting for a good workload to come through. All the other LTL's are like a pack of wolves just licking their chomps for a weak carrier to break down and steal their freight.

just a question,how old is the top management at OHFL.is there a chance that they just don't care if the company folds and they can make more money by selling the assets.

I know that Ed graduated college in 1972 and I believe Dave is slightly older.

"Their Achilles heel is the one thing they cannot defend against, and it will be the death of OHFL."

What exactly is this "Achilles Heel"?

The sad thing is that the proposal from the company could be the best solution to a large number of employees and to the company, but a small and vocal number of people are taking the lead and shooting it down. I know why there is no trust in the ownership, but that doesn't mean that their proposal isn't the best option for long term survival.

Be careful what you wish for, folks. It just might come true.

"Their Achilles heel is the one thing they cannot defend against, and it will be the death of OHFL."

What exactly is this "Achilles Heel"?

The sad thing is that the proposal from the company could be the best solution to a large number of employees and to the company, but a small and vocal number of people are taking the lead and shooting it down. I know why there is no trust in the ownership, but that doesn't mean that their proposal isn't the best option for long term survival.

Be careful what you wish for, folks. It just might come true.

Firstly, long term survival of OHFL is not a concern of the employees in this situation, the company is not and has not offered to prove that they are in a dire financial situation, if they want to turn the job into a Wal-business that is their problem, they are already well on their way with the previous contract. Why would anyone care what happens to them after they treat the people who have supported them all these years like trash?

Nextly, I believe the strike votes were pretty much overwhelming so what you call a few vocal people I call the will of the majority of those around you. You can prance across the line if you like.... But remember, We may have horses on the patch, but we have memories like elephants.

Long term survival of what? Working conditions, wages, Health care, and retirement, or cute little red trucks with clogs on the trailers? Don't be foolish, stand with your co-workers, and your union, your best interests are at the root of their decisions unlike the VP bro's.

Dont worry about "chuckandbob" there silvertooth...im just glad to see that the boys drop in to read our thoughts and correct the important stuff like birthdays. Hey chuck, you and bob perfect your golf swing last weekend?:funky:

If I am reading the messages correctly, it seems that the reason for a strike is not to get what the members want, but rather to shut the company down for good. Is that the intent?

The only company that I can point to as a comparison here is another old family run company by the name of Churchill out of St. Louis. The family told the union in 1994 that they would shut it down if the members went along with the strike that year. The members went out, and in about 24 hours, the company closed. The family came out just fine, but I will guarantee that a large number of union members didn't recover quickly, and some never did.

The VP family will not fall into disarray if this happens. If they choose to keep working with replacements, it probably won't work. Then, they will just turn the leased equipment back in and make more money as a land owner than as a trucker. See the Risberg family to see how that works.

As for me, I am not an employee, competitor or customer of Oak Harbor. I do have a number of friends that work there, and I hate to see anyone hurt by this. Unfortunately, that seems inevitable.

Good Luck.

Let's keep in mind that this whole negotiations has been about health care. Not about pension or any of that other weird stuff. The VP's want control of YOUR health care. I wouldn't trust them first of all and since they can't even run the trucking company, which they were raised to learn how to do, what makes anyone think they know how to run a Health plan. They will erode that just as they have done with the trucking company. The company isn't even willing to talk about any health plan that they do not control. Doesn't that tell you all something? It tells me a whole lotta things.

Personally I'm beginning to believe you boys are all just talk. How many years have you been planning to strike?? I think most of you know it'll be just another story like Churchill.

Oah Harbor or its owners are not in dire straights. They just want more from their employees while they make more money. Have you seen the health care they are offering?? $1500 deductible per person or $3000 per family. Is the raise they want to offer going to cover that coming out of your pocket? The new security system they installed in Portland would help pay for alot of employees medical coverage. I feel that the company is asking the employees to give up way to much while they go out and buy new golf clubs.

"...Personally I'm beginning to believe you boys are all just talk. How many years have you been planning to strike?? I think most of you know it'll be just another story like Churchill..."

Boy, were you born that ignorant or were you just dropped on your head at an early age? I guess they like them a bit thick over there at ODFL.

Have you ever even work for a union carrier? Know anything about what you are commenting about, because it doesn't seem like you. You sound like a newbie that is so green that he is trying to act like he knows something about something. Truckstop cowboy, in other words.

You don't even work for this company, but you sure are quick to comment on things you are clearly ignorant about.

You sure seem quick to judge us "whiners" up north, huh? Don't know our issues, don't know the history, don't seem to know much, do you? But sure are quick to pass judgement, aren't you?

Tell you what, boy. Go mutter your snide little comments where they might be appreciated.

Like the executive bathroom up in Corporate...:butt kiss:

1500-deductible? 3000-per family?

Oah Harbor or its owners are not in dire straights. They just want more from their employees while they make more money. Have you seen the health care they are offering?? $1500 deductible per person or $3000 per family. Is the raise they want to offer going to cover that coming out of your pocket? The new security system they installed in Portland would help pay for alot of employees medical coverage. I feel that the company is asking the employees to give up way to much while they go out and buy new golf clubs.
That is greed, do the V.P.s not know that greedy persons do not inherit Gods kingdom? This is a "money-grab" nonunion companies do it all the time! Dont take it laying down,the vps will only ask for more.:1036316054:

hey shifter,why can't we comment even if we don't work for OHFL.i am attempting to become more educated from the union boards here. myself and billylo may not work for a union company but we can complain about everything under the sun just as easily as you can.my only question is if the company or owners are that bad why do you stay with them.there are other union firms in the NW that are clearly better in their benefits and treatment of equipment and employees.even Yellow/Roadway or ABF sound much better than what i have read on this board.so why do you fellas stay?

I've got no problem with constructive comments or even a debate. I do have a problem with snide comments from those who don't know the story, don't have a dog in this fight, and clearly are just looking to start something or be annoying.

As to your second question, many of us feel that you can only run so long before the fight catches up with you, regardless of where you run to. There actually are a lot of good things about Oak Harbor, but the problem is the company is trying to take away much of what we feel makes it a good job.

The current ownership seems bound and determined to run this company into the ground, as is often the case with second-generation owners. Picking a fight with their union employees is only the most recent in a long string of poor managment decisions and weak leadership.

I'm a fighter... always have been, always will be. Many of us OHFL Teamsters are. Comes from years of being downtrodden.

And sometimes... you just have to make your stand.

We will fight on until we get an agreement, or this company is dead and buried. We will not waver, and we will not flinch from the fight.

We choose to make our stand here, and now. Simple as that.

as i said elsewhere,what as an employee can you do to change a mindset of silverspoon owners that don't believe as the company founders did.what is it that you or co-workers can do to change what they do wrong.other than direct communication to their faces or in a board meeting as a group ,what is it you can do?

There are three ways of handling a fight like this: 1.) back down, 2.) threaten to take them on, or 3.) actually take them on.

We've done 1.) and 2.) before and simply aren't going to do it again, and this time, we are ready to go to .3) if needed.

It ain't rocket science, y'know?

I don't care if we change their minds. That is unlikely, and mostly irrelevent. What they need to understand is that both parties need to come to an agreement, and soon, or they are going to have a labor dispute on their hands. One they will likely not survive.

They know what the issues are, and what we are saying we need to have. They can either figure a way to make it work, or deal with the consequences...