North Carolina-I-85 runaway tractor-trailer kills mother

SevenOfNine

TB Lurker
Credits
GASTONIA -- A mother of four was killed and six family members injured when a parked tractor-trailer rolled onto Interstate 85 and hit their southbound SUV because the driver had not put on the truck's emergency brake, authorities said Sunday.

An unoccupied US Food Service tractor-trailer parked in the center lane on a nearby road unexpectedly started to move. It rolled headfirst about 1,000 feet down the road, crossed the off ramp at Exit 21, then rolled down a steep embankment, police said.

The truck ran over a guardrail into southbound I-85 and hit the highway median as Alvarez's SUV rammed into it.

"It was a freak accident," said Gastonia police Sgt. Michael Lair. "It's very unusual to see such a large vehicle roll so far without jackknifing or turning over."

Vincent Bernard Lowery, 36, of Gastonia had left the truck parked in the turn lane to go into a gas station, officials said.
story link

Terrible tragedy ! I wish there was some way that when you park a tractor the brakes would automatically lockdown. Similar to the way a car will not let you remove the key until the vehicle is in park.

I don't know why you'd be in such a hurry to forget to set..

your breaks?
After you learn to drive a truck its almost an automatic reflex to set the breaks when you leave the truck for any reason.

This is a very sad story,as it not only effects the dead,and injured,but the driver,and the economic impact,on his family.

Sometimes it just takes one thoughtless act,to change your entire life.

May God have mercy on all envolved.

You saw it here first folks!

We recently had a meeting concerinig roll-away's. Yesterday, our TM came in and started handing out some papers and said read this. I guess he was a bit shocked when I handed it back to him and told him I already had. :)

I guess he figures we stop being Drivers as soon as we punch out. Any way just want to commend Truckingboards for providing such useful information.

Now I'm gonna go see what yall got to b***h and moan about this morning. :)
Have a nice day.
JW