North Dakota driving jobs

freightman68

TB Lurker
Credits
Are these 100k a year water hauling jobs legit? Which are the better companies?? I would think driving off road would make the equipment junk in a hurry if it was not a top notch company who invested in maintenance. Also are some of the towns better to work out of than others? I am so ready for a change but I can make 80k where I am if I choose to linehaul so I would have to be over a 100k to make it worth it. I am up for a challenge however, I have mastered freight, the thrill is gone (Maybe except on bad roads LOL).

Wild Chick worked up that way for a short time, maybe she can provide some insight.

Well, really got to do research. Many outfits, some top notch, some fly by night as all booms go. Do not work for anyone who does not provide housing. Have hourly minimum rate. Congestion/road conditions a real mess. Everything is extreme priced as all boom areas. Most are looking now due to those who get tired of subzero/blizzard conditions that last days at a time quitting. Worked the early 90's boom. My ex-wife runs the mess haul at a camp. Her husband is supervisor at another. 3 weeks on, 1 off. Been offered a couple truck boss positions, yet pass, extra 10 grand is not worth the lifestyle anymore. Different world/different rules. Most camps share 10x10 room with another on opposite shift. 12on/12off. Koch Industries was my employer, $85 grand+ all living/travel costs in early 90's. Was a trouble shooter, worked truck to pipe, to rigs. ND, MT, ID, CO, TX, prior Desert Storm call up, after Kuwait and Thailand. Saved the family farm, yet lost my wife/family. Be over $150 grand in todays dollars. Halliburton treated their people well also. Good luck. It'll be an adventure, not for the weak, or those who can't take harsh conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't even learn a guy's name unless around over 30 days. Yet still got great friends do to working extreme weather/hazards together. We still joke about getting call ups to come back, it was a lot easier on late 20's early 30's bodies, still feel some of the aches from those days. Sad part, went to almost a dozen funerals, and dealt with some guys really getting messed up. It happens that quick, and usually when they are doing things right. Just hauling water, not so dangerous. Remember at this time -30 is high temp some days with average wind minimum 20mph. Risk equals pay and perks.

Just trying to give heads up. I was young and gung ho when I went into field. Needed big money fast, sometimes more balls than brains, if go, get a reputation of getting job done and not bugging out on coworkers in bad situations. Ex: Pressure blow out, 1 guy ditched, 3 of us stayed and got rig shut down. (Think of 1st scenes of Bruce Willis's Oil drillers in space movie). We drove by him on road, let him walk back to town. Company sent someone out for him, yet no one would work with him and he quit. Your life evolves around field, can find trouble easily on off time, many person's love to get your money. Find a good outfit, due you job, make your money and get out after boom.

Are these 100k a year water hauling jobs legit? Which are the better companies?? I would think driving off road would make the equipment junk in a hurry if it was not a top notch company who invested in maintenance. Also are some of the towns better to work out of than others? I am so ready for a change but I can make 80k where I am if I choose to linehaul so I would have to be over a 100k to make it worth it. I am up for a challenge however, I have mastered freight, the thrill is gone (Maybe except on bad roads LOL).

I have worked in the oilfields for 7 years, 2 of which were hauling water. Yes equipment gets beat to hell, especially here in Colorado. The mountain, dirt lease roads are brutal on trucks and men.
CHOOSE linehaul. The money in those areas are legit, but you'll slave for every penny. Turn over is astronomical and in 7 years I have been laid off twice due to companies going under, the bust cycle is a battle you don't want to go through. The work is grinding, to meet that 100K mark you will be married to the mud and job. You won't run even remotely close to legal, and right now in the towns that are paying that kind of money you'll live out of your truck and if you are lucky enough be attached to a man camp or motel you might have time twice a week to get a shower. You'll spend twice as much for a cheese burger, and unless you live like a beggar you'll use the extra cash you'll make on simple commodities and/or rent if you luck out and actually find a vacancy somewhere.
I have been trying to get into anything besides the oilfields in a truck, and the good jobs that have you home at night and a steady livable schedule are a diamond in the rough.

Water hauling isn't a thrill, you'll be exposed on a daily basis to all the lovely chemicals in condensate, most are carcinogenics and probably inadvertently take a bath in the stuff several times by accident. You'll wallow in mud and muck half the year and roast the other half. Don't get me started on frozen valves.. that will make you want to slit your wrists. Make it 10 miles and half your load frozen on the way there, especially in the Dakotas. If you aren't fighting ice covered dog ears with a damn hammer, you'll be trying to get 100 lb stiff frozen hoses out of hose trays and they'll weigh twice as much for the ice and mud on and in them and it typically takes two or three hoses to hook to a tank.
You'll chain up your truck just to make it out of a location, hell I had to hang iron (ice cleat triple rail) three times daily on all drives, a steer and drag throughout the winters here.. EVERY single day for at least 4 months of the year.
If you're not good a math forget it, and you'll haul your butt up a flight of stairs at least twice if not more per load to measure your tanks and the amount of barrels/inches you'll take out of it to stay out of the oil.
You'll sit through classes on safety, OSHA, and Safeland/Safegulf. You'll also have classes required by different oilfield companies for you to be certified in yearly. You'll wear and pay for half of your PPE (personal protective equipment) a list that can include but not limited to: hard hat, safety glasses, fire resistant clothing, chemical gloves, steel toed boots, H2S monitors and air rescue packs.
Some companies will have decent equipment but you'll need to know a lot of in the field fixes and how to accomplish them with limited tools and supplies. Some will have benefits, a large portion will not. You'll really have no hope at career advancement unless you make the right contacts and get OUT of a truck.

So unless your free, single with no hope of a home life, and a masochist I suggest you take something that doesn't require you to use a shovel to scrape the 500lbs mud off your truck so your running legal weight when you hit the highway.. pick the option of linehaul or at the very least something that seems steady, especially an established company.

That's my two cents worth, and if you do go for it I would be here for any questions you may have.

WOW Thanks WIld!!! I m thinking that is the best most honest responce I will get. I knew they did not pay like that because it is easy.....but I thought well maybe....but Just the shower thing alone is about enough for me. I had a offer all ready and the money sounded really good, but it had no benefits like you said...and the trucks sounded older....and it was a small operation...8 trucks..so I was concerned with actually getting paid........but the guy sounded ok....and he said I could do a ride along on my own dime and I liked that....but the ride along would be in May not December when I have my vaca here.....I do not have a family to lose I lost that already, but I would like a nice woman at some point....I think maybe I need to re think going out there. Thank you again.
I have worked in the oilfields for 7 years, 2 of which were hauling water. Yes equipment gets beat to hell, especially here in Colorado. The mountain, dirt lease roads are brutal on trucks and men.
CHOOSE linehaul. The money in those areas are legit, but you'll slave for every penny. Turn over is astronomical and in 7 years I have been laid off twice due to companies going under, the bust cycle is a battle you don't want to go through. The work is grinding, to meet that 100K mark you will be married to the mud and job. You won't run even remotely close to legal, and right now in the towns that are paying that kind of money you'll live out of your truck and if you are lucky enough be attached to a man camp or motel you might have time twice a week to get a shower. You'll spend twice as much for a cheese burger, and unless you live like a beggar you'll use the extra cash you'll make on simple commodities and/or rent if you luck out and actually find a vacancy somewhere.
I have been trying to get into anything besides the oilfields in a truck, and the good jobs that have you home at night and a steady livable schedule are a diamond in the rough.

Water hauling isn't a thrill, you'll be exposed on a daily basis to all the lovely chemicals in condensate, most are carcinogenics and probably inadvertently take a bath in the stuff several times by accident. You'll wallow in mud and muck half the year and roast the other half. Don't get me started on frozen valves.. that will make you want to slit your wrists. Make it 10 miles and half your load frozen on the way there, especially in the Dakotas. If you aren't fighting ice covered dog ears with a damn hammer, you'll be trying to get 100 lb stiff frozen hoses out of hose trays and they'll weigh twice as much for the ice and mud on and in them and it typically takes two or three hoses to hook to a tank.
You'll chain up your truck just to make it out of a location, hell I had to hang iron (ice cleat triple rail) three times daily on all drives, a steer and drag throughout the winters here.. EVERY single day for at least 4 months of the year.
If you're not good a math forget it, and you'll haul your butt up a flight of stairs at least twice if not more per load to measure your tanks and the amount of barrels/inches you'll take out of it to stay out of the oil.
You'll sit through classes on safety, OSHA, and Safeland/Safegulf. You'll also have classes required by different oilfield companies for you to be certified in yearly. You'll wear and pay for half of your PPE (personal protective equipment) a list that can include but not limited to: hard hat, safety glasses, fire resistant clothing, chemical gloves, steel toed boots, H2S monitors and air rescue packs.
Some companies will have decent equipment but you'll need to know a lot of in the field fixes and how to accomplish them with limited tools and supplies. Some will have benefits, a large portion will not. You'll really have no hope at career advancement unless you make the right contacts and get OUT of a truck.

So unless your free, single with no hope of a home life, and a masochist I suggest you take something that doesn't require you to use a shovel to scrape the 500lbs mud off your truck so your running legal weight when you hit the highway.. pick the option of linehaul or at the very least something that seems steady, especially an established company.

That's my two cents worth, and if you do go for it I would be here for any questions you may have.

If you were headed for Williston or surrounding area, forget finding a nice woman, right now they are out numbered 10 to 1. LOL
Also the Williston several times has put freezes on them building man camps because the infrastructure can't handle the sewer volumes. So hotels are at such a premium that they rent one or two rooms for their drivers and let them rotate out just for showers. There are a ton of smaller companies, most pay, but the equipment breaking down is an issue. The first company I worked for here had us doing all repairs. I learned how to change axles, put in starters and even changed out my own radiator when my fan blew up into shrapnel.
It's a great job if you want to learn a lot really quickly, trial by fire.
I even learned how to get my truck back to the shop when the hub on the rear axle of my trailer burned up and lost both tires. I had to jack the axle up, chain it and run back to the shop to get that entire axle replaced. Fun times, LOL.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk