Northwestern football players to vote on union April 25

If they lose their scholarship they can go play elsewhere ?

And it may fall under the whole you can't eliminate a position because that person voted yes type of a thing ?

Billions are being made by everyone except the players. It's not so wrong that they are standing up for themselves.

The people in power will always expect you to be powerless. Any attempt by a group to stand together will be met with a display of power from those in charge.

The turn of the last century was similar to this one. Horrible economic situations led to desperate times. It took violence to get respect. Lets hope it doesn't slide that far again. History tells us unions are set for a rebound.

The rest of the sports world is unionized. This ensures compensation and health benefits.

You can say that room and board is compensation. I say telling someone when and what to eat, drink, study and practice all while mandating that they cannot benefit financially from any of it, is slavery.

Sure they get an " education". Not like they can take real classes a fulltime student would take. They don't have any freedom in their schedule for serious class work.

And it may fall under the whole you can't eliminate a position because that person voted yes type of a thing ?

Billions are being made by everyone except the players. It's not so wrong that they are standing up for themselves.

The people in power will always expect you to be powerless. Any attempt by a group to stand together will be met with a display of power from those in charge.

The turn of the last century was similar to this one. Horrible economic situations led to desperate times. It took violence to get respect. Lets hope it doesn't slide that far again. History tells us unions are set for a rebound.

The rest of the sports world is unionized. This ensures compensation and health benefits.

You can say that room and board is compensation. I say telling someone when and what to eat, drink, study and practice all while mandating that they cannot benefit financially from any of it, is slavery.

Sure they get an " education". Not like they can take real classes a fulltime student would take. They don't have any freedom in their schedule for serious class work.

Evidently you are thinking rationally.. School politics and politics in general doesn't work that way... Yeah, these school make millions off these kids, but they'll find a way around it, they always do...

I'm not saying these kids need to make 1000's of dollars per game, but they should get something... To be deposited into their school accounts and not to be touched until they graduate or complete 3 total years of school...

It's called college. Have you ever attended college? They except money, it's no longer an amateur sport. I can see if they get a cut of the bowl game or national championship, but not being paid to play in college. College sports should not be union, again it's an amateur sport league. It's no where close to slavery, they have a choice to stay in school and get an education, they have a choice to transfer, they have a choice to stay and play. They have a choice of full time classes over summer school(Christian Ponder Florida state, Vikings)(Andrew Luck Stanford,Colts)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's called college. Have you ever attended college? They except money, it's no longer an amateur sport. I can see if they get a cut of the bowl game or national championship, but not being paid to play in college. College sports should not be union, again it's an amateur sport league. It's no where close to slavery, they have a choice to stay in school and get an education, they have a choice to transfer, they have a choice to stay and play. They have a choice of full time classes over summer school(Christian Ponder Florida state, Vikings)(Andrew Luck Stanford,Colts)

What is the value of this amateur status ? They players don't need to be amateurs. But the schools benefit from it.

Don't people go college to learn skills that will eventually apply to a job setting ? Isn't the whole thing based on getting paid ?

And there will always be a select few that are amazing students that can make it work. Or have people who will do their stuff for them so they can get the credits.

But what about the third string offensive lineman that never became a pro athlete and never got through the classes to get a degree ? What is he getting ?

I fully disagree with your point of view. Completely and totally.

What is the value of this amateur status ? They players don't need to be amateurs. But the schools benefit from it.

Don't people go college to learn skills that will eventually apply to a job setting ? Isn't the whole thing based on getting paid ?

And there will always be a select few that are amazing students that can make it work. Or have people who will do their stuff for them so they can get the credits.

But what about the third string offensive lineman that never became a pro athlete and never got through the classes to get a degree ? What is he getting ?

The 3rd string lineman has a choice to stay and attend classes and complete his degree.(Ray Oppman LB Tulane, Pat Bostick QB Pitt, Dan Schneider TE Pitt, Luke Massa QB Norte Dame)
College Football is one of the best organizations this planet has ever seen. Allowing students to become union will ruin great programs like LSU, Bama, Florida........etc.

The whole purpose behind an athletic scholarship is "suppose to be" to get an education and further your war on life... To survive and have a way of making a living.. But we all know that's not the way things are done in these days and times... State run facilities should be governed by the state of origin.. But we all know that's not true anymore either.. So, if they are going to be athletes and scholars, then why not get your classroom duties taken care of...

How much do you think four years at a major university would cost your parents without the scholarship?

Last edited by a moderator:
How much do you think four years at a major university would cost your parents without the scholarship?

Clearly much less than the billions they are making off the players. Is it your argument that those scholarships are a financial burden for the university ?

It is a pittance. I can't believe people are actually against this.

Right or wrong,it will certainly change the scope of college athletics.Will be no such thing as mid majors anymore and some will probably drop football altogether.Good to see the "rugged steel union" seeking out kids to boost their dues..

Right or wrong,it will certainly change the scope of college athletics.Will be no such thing as mid majors anymore and some will probably drop football altogether.Good to see the "rugged steel union" seeking out kids to boost their dues..

It was the kids who sought out the union. It starts with one. Where it goes from here will be the real story.

College football pays for most of the other sports within the University. If you take that money away and give it to the players, several of the other sports will have to be eliminated because of the lack of funding. I am in favor of more "D" (developmental) leagues being formed and the players getting paid. That way, the ones who are terrible students can just stay out of college completely and go straight to a "D" league and make money. I'm completely against the student/athletes getting paid. It will destroy the entire system and other college sports will go down with it.

If Northwestern goes Union, I'd shut down the program. Those players would be considered "tainted goods" and most Universities wouldn't accept their transfer request.

College football pays for most of the other sports within the University. If you take that money away and give it to the players, several of the other sports will have to be eliminated because of the lack of funding. I am in favor of more "D" (developmental) leagues being formed and the players getting paid. That way, the ones who are terrible students can just stay out of college completely and go straight to a "D" league and make money. I'm completely against the student/athletes getting paid. It will destroy the entire system and other college sports will go down with it.

If Northwestern goes Union, I'd shut down the program. Those players would be considered "tainted goods" and most Universities wouldn't accept their transfer request.

Some would, but most wouldn't because of his involvement in the union... Then you would have student athletes hijacking the unions.. Not a safe scenario...