Yellow | Norwalk, Ohio...Norwalk Truck Lines

Yellow bought some operating rights for New York from Norwalk . I remember very well that it was Ringsby that bought up United Buckingham and Norwalk Truck Lines . I worked for Yellow Freight and I know that U/B and Norwalk went in with Ringsby . I would know if Yellow bought Norwalk we would have their drivers on our seniority list . At that time Norwalk belonged to Chicago Truck Drivers Union( CTDU ) and Ringsby and U/B were both Teamsters IBT . so Norwalk drivers went to the bottom .

Pup Driver, I might be wrong, but I think The Yellow Lancaster, Pa. Hub was built by Norwalk and was acquired with the acquisition. Can you confirm this ?

Don't knock him. Drawing pension and S.S. Doing something he loves and keeping a schedule. Which keeps him moving.
And within a week, you may find lots of retired drivers going back to work for other reasons, but yea, they will be keeping schedule and food on the table.

Pup Driver, I might be wrong, but I think The Yellow Lancaster, Pa. Hub was built by Norwalk and was acquired with the acquisition. Can you confirm this ?

SF, I could be wrong about this, but I seem to remember around the time Maislin was going out of business (1983), some Maislin road drivers were talking about going to the big new road operation Yellow had in Lancaster (East Petersburg). I could be totally off the mark but I wonder if that refers to some big expansion of that terminal back then? Just a guess on my part.

SF, I could be wrong about this, but I seem to remember around the time Maislin was going out of business (1983), some Maislin road drivers were talking about going to the big new road operation Yellow had in Lancaster (East Petersburg). I could be totally off the mark but I wonder if that refers to some big expansion of that terminal back then? Just a guess on my part.
Yes Trip, correct. I do know that Yellow expanded the dock and garage.

See Trip, you were right again, as always, well sometimes. Who says when you get old, you can't remember stuff. Just keep :kicking:

See Trip, you were right again, as always, well sometimes. Who says when you get old, you can't remember stuff. Just keep :kicking:

Thanks ESP. If I can only remember where I left my notes I can usually remember things! :lmao:

Reactions: ESP
That's very cool. My dad drove for Norwalk for many years. His name was Ray Stogner, He passed away quite a number of years ago. It was my Uncle, Thomas Stogner, my dads brother who was killed in the fire at the offices of Norwalk Truck Lines, back in the late 50's.

Anyone who knows someone who worked for Norwalk Truck Lines (NTL)... (Yellow Freight Systems bought Norwalk Truck lines in 1968)...The drivers who worked for NTL went to work for places like Yellow, Roadway, Spector, PIE, 151 Lines...all I know is if you worked for NTL or know someone who did...there is a reunion in Norwalk, Ohio. Every July. Contact me on Pm, Please!! The reunion is losing members (they are dying) every year. Come and see your brothers if you have time!!:smilie_132:
My dad, Bob Taylor, worked for Norwalk until 1963. He worked in the dispatch room when I was very young, and became head of dispatch later. Would like to hear from those who knew him and worked with him.

Anyone who knows someone who worked for Norwalk Truck Lines (NTL)... (Yellow Freight Systems bought Norwalk Truck lines in 1968)...The drivers who worked for NTL went to work for places like Yellow, Roadway, Spector, PIE, 151 Lines...all I know is if you worked for NTL or know someone who did...there is a reunion in Norwalk, Ohio. Every July. Contact me on Pm, Please!! The reunion is losing members (they are dying) every year. Come and see your brothers if you have time!!:smilie_132:
Doubt if there is even a hand full of Norwalk employees even alive .BTW Yellow did not buy out Norwalk , I would know I worked for Yellow . What Yellow did was bought some New York rights from Norwalk . What happen to Norwalk was Ringsby bought out United Buckingham and Norwalk and the Norwalk drivers went to the bottom here in Chicago . Ringsby and U/B where Teamsters and Norwalk was Chicago Independent and thats why they didn't sandwich them in on the seniority list .

Don't know anything much out side of Chicago other that yeah Yellow had a break terminal in Lancaster as to build it you would know better than I .Norwalk had 3 terminals here . Every time they moved it was because they needed more room . Norwalk was a well respected truck line . They had 100 plus city drivers here. Gateway was another with something close to two hundred city men very good companies to drive for . Shame is these new guys will never know what we had back in the day .

http://www.norwalkoh.com/Miscellaneous Pages/history.html#A_History_of_Norwalk
From Trucking to Racing
In 1912, John Ernsthausen and Rolla Fader started the Norwalk Truck Company, which evolved into the Norwalk Truck Line. The Truck Line became the largest independently-owned trucking company in the world. The company served as inspiration for Norwalk High School’s mascot, the Truckers. Profits from the company’s success eventually funded the Ernsthausen Foundation, which continues to impact Norwalk today. With funds from both the Ernsthausen Foundation and the City of Norwalk, the Ernsthausen Community Center was built in 1989. In 1994, indoor pools and a weight room were added to this state-of-the-art recreation complex.

In 1962, the Norwalk Dragway opened on 100 acres with 850 seats and a 6-row high stand. Bill Bader Sr. bought the Dragway in 1974. In 1981, Norwalk hosted the International Hot Rod Association (IHRA) World Nationals for the first time. Over 40 years later, renamed Summit Motorsports Park, it is still in the Bader family and now features 26,000 grandstand seats on 204 acres.
NorwalkTruckLines.gif
NorwalkRacewayPark.gif

Building Roads for Ohio
In the 1930s, Norwalk cemented its reputation as the “cradle of contractors” for heavy-highway construction. A.J. Baltes Company was ranked among the largest contractors in Ohio during the 1930s and through the 1950s. A large number of Norwalk’s current contracting companies can trace their roots to A.J. Baltes. Today, more than a dozen highway construction-oriented companies call Norwalk home. This number increases to around 90 when all sectors of general contracting are included.

http://www.norwalkoh.com/Miscellaneous Pages/history.html

:1036316054: