ABF | Not an easy answer

vongrimmenstein

I stand for our flag, & kneel for the fallen
Credits
Based on the information you have right now, and if your Local Teamster Hall called you to a meeting tomorrow morning to vote for a strike authorization, how would you respond?

Or is this question putting the cart before the horse?

I work at YRCF. However it appears that some here see the futility of even threatening a strike. We've put you guys in a tough spot. ABF's finances are much stronger than YRCF's. But your cost structure puts finances in jeopardy.

Based on the information you have right now, and if your Local Teamster Hall called you to a meeting tomorrow morning to vote for a strike authorization, how would you respond?

I dont really have enough consistent information to give you a answer. Everything I have heard is from fellow workers and they are all over the place with rumors.

I work at YRCF. However it appears that some here see the futility of even threatening a strike. We've put you guys in a tough spot. ABF's finances are much stronger than YRCF's. But your cost structure puts finances in jeopardy.

You guys just done what you thought needed to be done to protect your jobs, can not hold that against anyone for what they feel they must do.

My first response would be to say "Friday is my normally scheduled work day, what happened to the Sunday meeting ?" Plus we dont have ANY information to base a vote on.

In all seriousness the real question to ask is how long can you go without getting paid ? Or better yet how long can your brothers go without getting paid ? Most guys I work with could not survive past Saturday if they did not get paid on Friday. The strike fund is a joke and would be broke in a few weeks.

I dont even see a strike vote being let out of the bag for us to vote on. It will be dished out YRC style, keep voting until something passes.

Some days we are the windshield and some days we are the bug, today we are the bug.

local 710

A strike will never happen. The members pay and pensions and futures will be sacrificed, So the big shots at the hall can keep taking care of their own. The 710 family and friends plan,.

My first response would be to say "Friday is my normally scheduled work day, what happened to the Sunday meeting ?" Plus we dont have ANY information to base a vote on.

In all seriousness the real question to ask is how long can you go without getting paid ? Or better yet how long can your brothers go without getting paid ? Most guys I work with could not survive past Saturday if they did not get paid on Friday. The strike fund is a joke and would be broke in a few weeks.

I dont even see a strike vote being let out of the bag for us to vote on. It will be dished out YRC style, keep voting until something passes.

Some days we are the windshield and some days we are the bug, today we are the bug.

When I posted the question I wasn't looking for a yes or no so much as for something different. You are quite correct, miss a month of pay checks & most would be in deep do do.

Well Von , with everything else in this world changing do you think ABF can keep operating on work rules from 20,30 years ago and still be competitive with these other companies that are running the majority of their freight over night?

Hell no they can't , I work at Conway and if they had these kind of rules, we'd be like yrc. A long haul carrier with concessions

Hell no they can't , I work at Conway and if they had these kind of rules, we'd be like yrc. A long haul carrier with concessions

I don't want to see any changes either because I like setting on my lazy butt while someone else hooks and switches my trailers out, but I realize that things change and we sometimes have to accept it whether we like it or not. I like my job here at ABF and I would like to see them stay around awhile longer.

We have concessions at YRC, because your company Conway, and also, Fed Ex Freight went to YRC customers, and gave them a 90% discount for 3 months to ship with them!!! So, don't come here, and say that it's from union work rules!!! Your company tried to put YRC out of business!! Plain, and simple!!! Guess what??? It did not work! It also cost Conway's CEO his job, along with Fed Ex Freight's CEO.

We have concessions at YRC, because your company Conway, and also, Fed Ex Freight went to YRC customers, and gave them a 90% discount for 3 months to ship with them!!! So, don't come here, and say that it's from union work rules!!! Your company tried to put YRC out of business!! Plain, and simple!!! Guess what??? It did not work! It also cost Conway's CEO his job, along with Fed Ex Freight's CEO.
You don't think I knew this ? Every monday morning, we got a yrc update. Then they would tell us not to spread any bad things to the customers. Listen, I'm pro union, I want to see ABF and yrc thrive. I wish the internationl hadn't of dropped the ball on the ltl industry. I'm tellin you, at this point in time, your gonna have to change in this global market. Just sayin

You don't think I knew this ? Every monday morning, we got a yrc update. Then they would tell us not to spread any bad things to the customers. Listen, I'm pro union, I want to see ABF and yrc thrive. I wish the internationl hadn't of dropped the ball on the ltl industry. I'm tellin you, at this point in time, your gonna have to change in this global market. Just sayin
Please dude, I know people in sales at both companies, and it went on. Others are still doing it. It was not union work rules that caused these concessions, and that is what you said!

Your words....(I work at Conway and if they had these kind of rules, we'd be like yrc. A long haul carrier with concessions)

The work rules is Also why your not in the next day market , ABF is.

ummmm right on there dude, YRC owns Holland, New Penn, and Redway they are the next day carriers for YRC!

remember your words.....

(I work at Conway and if they had these kind of rules, we'd be like yrc. A long haul carrier with concessions)

Now it's....
(The work rules is Also why your not in the next day market , ABF is)

So which is it????

I think ur contract classifies the ABF, new Penn and holland guys with Ue drivers which can do any job classification. Does yrc have that?

I think ur contract classifies the ABF, new Penn and holland guys with Ue drivers which can do any job classification. Does yrc have that?
We used to have UE drivers; they stop doing that because your actually bidding against yourself, and lowing your prices because you own other companies that do they same thing as you. Had nothing to do with having to have concessions as I stated before.

I never see holland or new penn next day in the south or the west. Open next day market right there for yrc. You can give concessions by work rules or pay. Yrc guys chose pay. ABF will have to choose too

Yrc has concessions because their CEO went on a buying binge he could not afford. Zollars ended up with two long haul ltl's that competed with each other. One of which, yellow, was a garbage company that had been thru a few bankruptcies to begin with. The 90/90 program from competitors was just them smelling the blood in the water. Yellow's problems are of yellow's own doing period

Yrc has concessions because their CEO went on a buying binge he could not afford. Zollars ended up with two long haul ltl's that competed with each other. One of which, yellow, was a garbage company that had been thru a few bankruptcies to begin with. The 90/90 program from competitors was just them smelling the blood in the water. Yellow's problems are of yellow's own doing period

Really??? Then why did Conway, and Fed Ex Freight fire their CEO's after the plan did not work???

(One of which, yellow, was a garbage company that had been thru a few bankruptcies to begin with.)

What company do you work for?