not getting unemployment

Discussion in 'Oak Harbor' started by familyman8, Jan 5, 2009.

1. familyman8

familyman8 Member

Just spoke with Salem about recieving unemployment now that I have made 4 times the weekly benefit from ups. I still cannot get unemployment benefits. The gal in Salem told me that I was mis-informed, and the ONLY way I can remove the denial of benefits is to cross the line and seek re-employment with OHFL, Period. As long as there is an active labor dispute in progress nothing will remove the denial except seeking re-employment with the same employer and them stating there is no work for me. So just saying you have moved on to new employment and then getting laid off still won't get you paid. Nice that the lawmakers are looking out for the working man, NOT.

2. ls57racer

ls57racer Well-Known Member

That's Just Not Right......Hope things get better foa Ya.

3. silvertooth

silvertooth Member

Look at it this way, if unemployment benefits were available to striking workers why would any union think twice about calling a strike? It would essentially create a state subsidized strike fund.

I am wondering if the company has no available positions in Portland, and there is no way to apply for a job that does not exist, isn't that basically the same thing as being denied work?

4. FX Sam

FX Sam Member

WHY should you get paid unemployment when you chose not to go to work? You went on strike and you also want paid for it? That makes no sense at all Union or not. OH has ads out that they are hireing drivers so you do have a choice to work or not. This is my feelings on this.

NOW, without getting all twisted you guys have the option to Explain to me why you should get unemployment when you strike. Is that what the union is for ?? I really do not know how it all works.

5. ls57racer

ls57racer Well-Known Member

If I'm reading his post right he said although be it at the end.... They were on strike so he moved on to new employment and after making more than 4 times his previuos wages and was then laid off that he feels he should be able to collect unemployment from the last employer.....But was told no, they still reconize him as out on strike and disregard the most recent employment.... that's what I got out of it anyway...It sounds as if he would not cross, so he said to heck with this job and moved on to another company

6. familyman8

familyman8 Member

Correct, OHFL has no intention of letting the union back in. So for me personally I went to another employer and have now been released (it was temporary to begin with) and because the "labor dispute" is still active I cannot move on, as it were. According to the law I can't even quit my position at OHFL and find any new employment I would still not collect unemployment if I was let go. According to the law I have to seek re-employment with OHFL and be denied work in order for me to start collecting.

7. familyman8

familyman8 Member

I did everything that needed to be done to be requalified, new work, earned 4 times my weekly benefit, and now laid off and still I cannot collect. Lets say I called and asked to come back to work and they say there is no work for me I would now qualify but do you think they will tell the unemployment dept that? I KNOW THEY WON'T. So we are stuck here with no chance of financial help, none from social services and none from unemployment that in essence limits our ability to have the unions call a strike it only hurts the workers more. I cannot even totaly quit my position at OHFL and get a new job i still would not get benefits as long as the labor dispute is ongoing.

8. Kiddriver

Kiddriver Member

Only one thing left to do.....:guiness: Pull up the boot straps and carry on. Our government only helps the ones that pay nothing in to the system. But if you want something to help get you by.... They punish you and double up on the rules to make sure you don't get any.:nutkick: makes me want to:eck15:

9. a9faninnc

a9faninnc Super Moderator Staff Member

Guys and gals,as an outsider I dont know the details of your dispute but I do wish you the best in a futile economy and job market.
    I guess my only question would be the timing of "choosing your battles".Seems you guys would have alot more leverage with the company if the economy was better.
    As I said,I dont know the details.Maybe it was so bad that the battle couldnt be delayed..GL

10. truckchick1

truckchick1 Active Member

Try explaining that to Tyson J of the IBT. Has anyone heard from him lately?

11. Kiddriver

Kiddriver Member

The end of this is that they company will not have anymore union in their barns. The fight now is Will the Teamsters shut down OHFL ? It's not about teamsters jobs it's not anything other than putting them out of business. With the economy in the tank this is the perfect time to put them under and the teamsters are doing a DAMN good job of it. What does CF Viking Garrett and Oak harbor have in common? OHFL soon to be one of them.

12. foster1662

foster1662 Member

When we finally put this company out of business (which should be soon) the unemployment will be there for us all as there will be no option to go back to Oak Harbor. Why the VP's chose this option is unknown. Most of the upper management have based their lifestyles on their income, as they have driven by us out in the cold some seem to have a little smile on their face as they drive by. You will not have things so sweet if they close the doors. No matter your income you will not draw any more on unemployment than most of us.:hysterical:

13. silvertooth

silvertooth Member

Here is what I would do, go to the unemployment office and fill out the online app for a driver position at OHFL with an department employee present (tell them the situation). If you have any phone contact, record it, but be aware if they do offer you work you will forfeit your right to claim benefits if you do not return. If the deny you work and lie about it you will have a witness an may pave a road for others as well by destroying their credibility with the dept.

The VP's are vindictive and wealthy enough to keep one truck rolling, just to deny you all unemployment indefinitely. At UPS if you were hired as a seasonal employee, then you knew your job would end, as I recall as a seasonal part timer at UPS I had the same trouble. The way I understood it you couldn't leave any full time job to go to a seasonal part time job and then claim UE benefits afterwards.

As to the timing of this strike, there is never a good time and this company had been provoking this action for years. It is unfortunate that Local 81 members do not receive ample strike benefits while the AUB members receive more than Oregon's Max unemployment rate anyway.

14. truckchick1

truckchick1 Active Member

Here is a plan. We all show up for work monday morning and if they have no work for us, get a pink slip and we can all collect unemployment.

15. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Member

Why would you want unemployement when you get 500.00 a week from the Union? Better do something quick. Take a look at the YRC group. Jobs are going to be tough. It appears you may have been led down a path leading to nowhere. Following your leader may be hazardous to your occupation. Hope for the best!

16. imported_Bam

imported_Bam Member

Not everyone receives $500 a week. Depends on your local.
    In Solidarity, Bam

17. Kiddriver

Kiddriver Member

When will you realize that this is about ED V. and God! The Union is the tool God is using to teach OHFL what compassion is:Rulz: