R&L | Now hiring all positions

braceface

TB Regular
Credits
On our marquee they put "Now hiring all positions". We were told that this was put up at all terminals yesterday. We still have two drivers, and two dock workers that were laid off in October..
Anyone know whats going on, or care to speculate?:popcorn:

We don't have a marquee to put that on so I don't know what they would do at our terminal but we have all but the C truck driver working.He was laid of and I believe got another job.

We don't have a marquee to put that on so I don't know what they would do at our terminal but we have all but the C truck driver working.He was laid of and I believe got another job.

shadow, are you guys staying busy? We are busy, and getting busier every day..

We are slammed every day.Winter at R&L has always been good for work at this company compared to when I worked for FedEx Freight but this winter has been real busy.I think we slowed for one week after new years.

Super busy in PHI. Been trying to hire drivers last few weeks. Even a bunch were road tested,but no one wants to work for 16 an hour. Average starting salary around here is 18 an hour.

We've been staying fairly busy in scr also. It must be a little slow down south though because I have been bringing a lot of empty tail trailers up from my slip with ric lately. Also, we had a combo driver start on monday 2/23 under the paramount program which I thought was done with. Our night supervisor said it wasn't officially over yet. Anyone know anything about this other than rumors?

Super busy in PHI. Been trying to hire drivers last few weeks. Even a bunch were road tested,but no one wants to work for 16 an hour. Average starting salary around here is 18 an hour.

What they are trying to pay is a slap in the face, especially when they are busy as hell everyday.

I have picked up on two possibilities R/L has bought a large trucking co.Terminal or Yellow Transport .Which would mean the need for personal for daytime linehaul dock and office personal.The other one was to have people ready to handle a large account that maybe coming on board.

I know they are making plans to run 48' tandems through NY and MA ,supposedly are going through the Equipment inspections right now

I've been working thru the winter for $14hr. If someone offered me $16, It would be a hard choice:biglaugh:.
Do they offer any bennies? Paying for Cobra is taking a toll on my savings

Benefits for more than we pay a week. You also have the luxury of peddling one day,working the dock the next or maybe doing a linehaul one night.You should get about 40-45 hours a week,all straight time.Good Luck!

we are busy as ever here in birmingham . brace you should call terry ask if he has any pick ups

I would be scared to see what terry is picking up, or has picked up...LOL

Tell him get busy, and do something for a change...

We are pretty busy in Knoxville, not much time for lunch, or anything else besides hurrying up, and getting the pick ups made...

ive being doing extra runs 3 to 4 times a week since the economy downturn and for first time so often in my 5 years in the company

To much work not enough drivers in PHI!!! Missing pick ups left and right and they are telling us to get one more shipment every week in sales meeting!!!! We can't even handle what we have now,gonna start losing customers to carriers that can make the pick-ups!!!

It's a sad state of affairs when you don't have enough time in the day to get your work done in a decent manner without making customers mad for being late for pickups and some deliveries. The way we are being pushed back in the morning makes for some really close calls with some of my deliveries. I have several places that either close or stop receiving at 1200, some that stop at 1300, others by 1400 and 1500...Not to mention the ones that stop shipping by 1400. Some days I am up against it all day. Trying to get one more shipment is difficult when by the time you get there all the freight is gone except for yours. I don't know about the rest of you, but being made to be Salesmen (one more shipment), Dockworkers (recouping freight & constantly moving freight around), and Office Clerks (getting authorization numbers) doesn't leave much time to be a Truck Driver. I understand that times are tough and in some places the freight is slow...But making late deliveries and pickups is no way to keep customers happy in my opinion. Oh, but I'm just a driver what do I know.

It's a sad state of affairs when you don't have enough time in the day to get your work done in a decent manner without making customers mad for being late for pickups and some deliveries. The way we are being pushed back in the morning makes for some really close calls with some of my deliveries. I have several places that either close or stop receiving at 1200, some that stop at 1300, others by 1400 and 1500...Not to mention the ones that stop shipping by 1400. Some days I am up against it all day. Trying to get one more shipment is difficult when by the time you get there all the freight is gone except for yours. I don't know about the rest of you, but being made to be Salesmen (one more shipment), Dockworkers (recouping freight & constantly moving freight around), and Office Clerks (getting authorization numbers) doesn't leave much time to be a Truck Driver. I understand that times are tough and in some places the freight is slow...But making late deliveries and pickups is no way to keep customers happy in my opinion. Oh, but I'm just a driver what do I know.
And the thing about it is, pushing your start time back in the morning is not saving them a dime...

A run is going to ya a certain amount of time, PERIOD!!!

You start a man a half an hour or hour later in the morning, all you are doing, is having him get back to the terminal a half hour or hour later in the evening..

There is no time time during the day to get anything done, other than to bust your @ss, making deliveries and pick-ups and run as hard as you can to get it done...

Lunch? When was the last time I got to take 15-20 minutes for an actual break, can't remember, it has been months..You better hurry if you have to take a ****, cause you you got half a trailer load of freight to deliver, its 2:00 pm, and you have 4 pick-ups in 4 different directions...

Let us start at 7:30 or 8:00 so we can get the job done....Turn the trucks up to 70 mph so the line haul can get the job done...

Its not rocket science...

The reason our P+D is being pushed back everyday is late Linehaul sometimes runs are pulling in at 8:30 ,9:00 with freight for guys that start at 7:30.

I only wish that were the case at our terminal. Sometimes we are waiting for freight to get back...but the majority of the time is operations related. Let's cut some hours, make these guy run harder, ride their (_!_)s all day, and than write them up for not meeting the stops per hour ratio. It's kinda of hard to meet the ratio when you leave with only 7 deliveries and they keep you out for 9 hours and than only give you 2 or 3 pickups.

How about getting back to customer relations by making timely deliveries and pickups. Arriving late constantly does not bode well with customers wanting to use R+L for obvious reasons. I like working for R+L, but I honestly cannot fathom the way they let operations run things. It's a numbers game, and were losing customers because of it...