Central Transport | Now it's time ! Right now! Pick a local and lets go with it!!!!!!

ltlguy2013 sounds like he's new in the LTL business and has lots to learn about this cutthroat business. Just because he worked for Yellow or some other BAD union company with a BAD local, that does not mean they are all like that. I worked BOTH non-union and union freight companies for over 38 years, and got tired of kissing butts and worrying about some office jerk or terminal mgr on a power trip in a non-union just telling me to "go away" with no recourse for some stupid reason just because "felt like it". The union is not perfect, by any means, but at least you have some job protection and can't be fired without due cause. Not true at a non-union company. They can "show you the door" any time they choose.

When i was at central we tried to organize. We all got fired for differnt reasons, he is a jerk, but a smart businessman.He doesnt about crap unless it is green paper. I wouldnt stay around to work under his watch. Unions arent perfect. But at a union gig u cant get fired for sezzeing. But under his watch u can. Trust me, i got canned for leaving a window open on a truck. Wtf is that?!?!? Yea thats the type of crap he will can u for if he knows u r part of the organizing party. We were so close to getting cards signed, but like others said on here, he is 5 steps ahead

speedball;1262265 said:
As I understand it, in life there are no guarantees? I haven't ever seen anything written anywhere related to job protection in any job. Everywhere I've worked it was made clear to me, either verbally, and/or in some manual, that employment was "at-will".....so it is that persons choice to accept, or look elsewhere for the so-called "guarantee" The only job protection is busting asz, but even that is no guarantee. I hired on with an "at-will" company. I know the policy and that things can deteriorate and I may be out of a job down the road. I take it or leave it. No ifs ands or buts. I move on. Meanwhile I bust asz and be an employee any company would want, not an employee with "conditions" and then get all worked up when things change. Just saying

As I understand it, in life there are no guarantees? I haven't ever seen anything written anywhere related to job protection in any job. Everywhere I've worked it was made clear to me, either verbally, and/or in some manual, that employment was "at-will".....so it is that persons choice to accept, or look elsewhere for the so-called "guarantee" The only job protection is busting asz, but even that is no guarantee. I hired on with an "at-will" company. I know the policy and that things can deteriorate and I may be out of a job down the road. I take it or leave it. No ifs ands or buts. I move on. Meanwhile I bust asz and be an employee any company would want, not an employee with "conditions" and then get all worked up when things change. Just saying

Wish it was so simple.

I knew I guy once that worked with myself in the union, one day while driving a forklift he accidentally hit a object while in motion due to that they suspended him until further review. Due to him beening in the union he had a board review which was held over 15 hour drive away, based upon this he had to purchase a airline ticket to go to his own review in which the company can control at some point.... After his review was over he did get his job back but spent/lost over $3000 dollars because of it lost time, airline tickets & hotel...Once he got back he got approval to come to work so as any person would do he did the next day. Shortly after being at work he was called into the office again & was told he was being fired again for not feeling out an inspection form before driving a forklift. Nobody ever filled one out this was the first time I have ever heard of it & I worked there for 5 years...WTF it really happened if he wanted his job back again he had to do the board review all over again...So you get the point one way or another they will find a loophole in the system if I didn't work there & haven't witnessed this with my own eyes I would have never believed it! Trust me when I say this Union or No Union you are not safe if you believe otherwise then you are blind/ clueless!

The only real way you are safe (other than downsizing, slow freight, etc) , is to work hard, have a good attitude, be on time, do the work, drive safe, and not be a thorn in their side in general. Gets one further along than always having some issue or always coming off disgruntled. How can some make it work and others are so miserable? And why is it seen by some that to make it work must mean you are a brown noser, tool, asz kisser, have favoritism bestowed upon, etc? When all it is is someone is able to work for someone and just do what they want their employees to do? And if the direct supervisors just plain succ and want more than is reasonable for "you" then just get the heck out asap and find a decent company. I wouldn't work for a dump company yet try to drag all this nonsense union crap into it. You aint gonna win! Bail!

You are guys are so wrong if you think that the union will be the answer-think about it, if you bought a company and it's assets for 2 million dollars and you already have a somewhat successful company, would you just sell all assets and get rid of the people from vitran who wants the union? Right now you have a lot of good people working here who stuck with a company that did nothing but kick them while they were down...this may be a good thing for non overlap terminals. For the terminals that overlap, I feel for! No matter what happens, I hope nothing for the best for you guys

I don't care what any of you say. I've had enough. I'm signing a card!

I knew I guy once that worked with myself in the union, one day while driving a forklift he accidentally hit a object while in motion due to that they suspended him until further review. Due to him beening in the union he had a board review which was held over 15 hour drive away, based upon this he had to purchase a airline ticket to go to his own review in which the company can control at some point.... After his review was over he did get his job back but spent/lost over $3000 dollars because of it lost time, airline tickets & hotel...Once he got back he got approval to come to work so as any person would do he did the next day. Shortly after being at work he was called into the office again & was told he was being fired again for not feeling out an inspection form before driving a forklift. Nobody ever filled one out this was the first time I have ever heard of it & I worked there for 5 years...WTF it really happened if he wanted his job back again he had to do the board review all over again...So you get the point one way or another they will find a loophole in the system if I didn't work there & haven't witnessed this with my own eyes I would have never believed it! Trust me when I say this Union or No Union you are not safe if you believe otherwise then you are blind/ clueless!

I call BS on your story!