Averitt | Now that we've had the hiring rush, where's the freight?

rnsgn

TB Lurker
Credits
Hired all summer long, had numerous job fairs, now we have more trucks than drivers, guys go home early so the next guy can have trucks to drive, line haul guys sitting at home, city guys going home early, and truckload trucks sit on the yards. They recently said we were around 600 drivers short company wide, I hope they see that as a sign to sell trucks instead of trying to fill them all.

I still see outside contractors still on our yard.
What you describe is truly representative of the incompetence that infests Neal St. Sorry that guys have to sit for sure.
It makes me smile when they call me and ask if I want to stay home for whatever reason.

They done the same thing at Estes.. More drivers than trucks.. I don't see where they think these guys will "just be happy to have a job" if they are sitting at home.. This micro-managing thing is going to be the death of this industry...

They are all doing it..same thing at Holland.
I hate to see a new guy start, then after a week or 2, he's sitting at home.
I wouldn't recommend that anybody in LTL change jobs, unless they are absolutely debt free..cuz you never know

We were crazy busy through the spring and it was flat out humping and exhausting everyone up through the july 4th break, but ever since it has been a very gradual slowing, I wonder if everyone panicked thinking it was going to continue to be that busy up through the fall and winter and had a hiring splurge.

T/L is still hiring like CRAZY....got keep those older worn out trucks seats full. Recruiting has to meet their quota, regardless of what it costs the current drivers in THEIR miles. I'm prepared to see more an more 1200-1700 mile weeks until late Jan 15.

We still have contractors rolling in and out of my house on a regular basis.
Remember and never forget who is running this clown camp.