ABF | Now what do you think about ABF consessions

341-rick

TB Lurker
Credits
Well guys what do you think needs to happen to turn ABF around? Please dont say where just drivers its not our problem. We are all a team management and drivers. We got our asses kicked this year by all the other ltl carriers.

Dont know if you seen where ABF in 2009 lost 100 million dollars total for the year. Gots me worried, ive been on layoff for 4 years i work 2-3days per week maybe.
Just wish we could get more freight in the western part of the country.Everywhere I deliver to says ABF is way to expensive, and its all about the bottom line.

Floating wage rate, tied to the tonnage of freight ABF Freight halls is the answer. Can not charge the same wage rate when things are slow as when the economy is at it's peak and still hang on to market share. Common sense answer.

I do not believe in wage or benefits concessions...our 10 million dollar loss didn't seem to bother Mr. Kemp since he took his raise. Mr. Kemp claimed we can survive losing 10 million a year for 5 years so I belive we have 4 more years to turn this around. The economy has to get better for sure. The companies hauling this freight around at a loss (ccx,fed ex etc) will eventualy have to adjust their prices.
UPS battles Fed Ex everyday...UPS teamsters make more money & better benefits than anyone in the industry, Fed Ex is protected by a unfair air freight classifaction which gives them a incrediable
business advantage over UPS & Yet UPS continualy out performs them year in & year out. There is never a call for concessions for UPS because their driver's make what they do & claims UPS can't compete
because of the wages & benefits ....so ABF's claims of just that doesn't jive with me.That is the easy way out...no the challenge is here for ABF management let's see how good they are.

First off im no fan of any give back. But how can we compete when every other carrier is putting us in a corner with give back after give back? I just hope our union will fight as hard for us if we ever run into financial trouble.

wow. You just don't get it! UPS Parcel has 1 small competitor (FedEx) and they are not really but a small pain in the rear end.
BUT LOOK-at the # of LTL carriers, all of them (including the only other Teamster Line left) have a tremendous co$t advantage over ABF. I think the challenge is really on the Teamster Leadership, not ABF Management. They have about done all they can do. If you take out the 'extra' cost the Brotherhood adds, they would make a tremendous profit. Of course, what do I know??

Who cares?

:hyper: I'm jumpin of the boat.As far as i care Union-with all the Girls(seniors) can go to Hell :butt kiss:.Their actions cost A LOTTT of money ABF so therefore i've beeen laid off for 8 months now.I know "brothers" teamsters ,u'r right,i'm wrong,but Union never did nothing for me,where ar they WHEN i need them?If i can get the job with conway or fedex i will do my best to swing over a few companies not to ship with the highly priced-give me -give me oriented company.Let me know what concession u did for ur "brothers" who r laid off and have to support their families.
Now u r scarred that ur pension or that fat check will be slimmer?I hope so.:TR10driving03:

WOW i would say I sort of agree withyou until you start wishing hardship on people that have atleast did the time to earn a pension.Why go down that road.The people your talking about put up with same BS you are now when they were just gettin started.Probally even more.So wish you luck just dont mess with people who have already did the time you will maybe be there someday.BE CAREFULL WHAT YOU WISH FOR THE GRASS ISNT ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHERSIDE.

WOW i would say I sort of agree withyou until you start wishing hardship on people that have atleast did the time to earn a pension.Why go down that road.The people your talking about put up with same BS you are now when they were just gettin started.Probally even more.So wish you luck just dont mess with people who have already did the time you will maybe be there someday.BE CAREFULL WHAT YOU WISH FOR THE GRASS ISNT ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHERSIDE.

Are u serious?I know for a fact that "brothers" who "earned their right to screw over those with less seniority" are the ones who "bring to the table the less",this being one of the reasons ABF being in deep ::shit::.Choosing the best routes,when to work,how long,and all of that is one of your rights ? How about making 5 ,6 deliveries /hr every day?How about not taking over somebody else's route because have less stops or longer ride?How many time u been layoff for more then 8 months and not working because Union had bend over and taken it from behind from ABF?Like i said tell me what concessions YOU have made for your POOR layoff "brothers".If u ever been through hard time ,YOU,the senior brother should be the one to help your brother first by working "only" 10 hrs a day and let the others earn a living too.But NOT,YOU choose that u deserve everything,sooo guess what?I wish u to work until u drop death at the barn,because i will go to work for a company who rewards work and quality not seniority.

Yeah let me know how that reward works out for U.YES BOSS:hyper: ABF will be just fine so go jump ship and let us know how great it is.PS don't forget to stop at the store and get yourself some nice cherry flavores chap stick for your first day.YEAH the bosses love that

Yeah let me know how that reward works out for U.YES BOSS:hyper: ABF will be just fine so go jump ship and let us know how great it is.PS don't forget to stop at the store and get yourself some nice cherry flavores chap stick for your first day.YEAH the bosses love that

Sure,u got to be one of those"i deserve the best because i've been kissing the *** longer" drivers.Check YRC board and u will see how good they see their company.Open your eyes teamster,Union is good only if economy does good and you don't need them.But sure,for you is good because u still makin' a paycheck.Go rip what u saw.

I've been laid off for over a year out of a told of 59 laid off people. I'm not for give backs either, don't feel were over paid. Pension in the toilet and health fund benefits hurting, if more people were working and paying in would help correct the fund problem.
While you argue over concessions non union carriers are in the back door stealing freight and cutting rates. Loosing market share by charging the same thing in slow times as in thriving times, doesn't make sense to me. Your still working though so don't worry about the rest of us Brother
Teamster. (086)

Rock & Roll
View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message Add as Contact

Lurker

Thanked 0 Times in 0 PostsI've been laid off for over a year out of a told of 59 laid off people. I'm not for give backs either, don't feel were over paid. Pension in the toilet and health fund benefits hurting, if more people were working and paying in would help correct the fund problem.
While you argue over concessions non union carriers are in the back door stealing freight and cutting rates. Loosing market share by charging the same thing in slow times as in thriving times, doesn't make sense to me. Your still working though so don't worry about the rest of us Brother
Teamster. (086)

I second that.

I am amazed at what I read here. The anti union sentiment. If your that unhappy then go. The union is only as stronng as it members. I was laid off for 2 years when we merged with carolina & I never even thought of jumping to a non union carrier. The union gaureentees you to do process! if ABF had their way we'd been cut along time ago. ABF cares about you? are you kidding me when they merged with carolina they knew the contract, they new they were putting their own people out of work & didn't care..they devestated families & never looked back. We deserve the right to have a voice at our jobs, the right to due process, the right for a fair wage & benefits. we had a fed ex driver by us he called himself " the go to guy" whenever fed ex here neede it done the went to him mr go to guy then he had an accident & he was fired ...thanks for being our mr. go to guy. times are tough we need to band together, hold together and fight together. we have been screwed time & time again by big business & we
need the working man to stand tough. everyday you read of business posting record profits & laying off thousands more...of ceo's & cfo's ****** the companies for their own profits...enough of this Kemp gets a raise of 25percent & you think the teamsters are killing ABF?? FACT THE TEAMSTERS SAVED YRC TO DATE ....MANAGEMENT PUT THEM ON THEIR DEATHBED NOT THE TEAMSTERS!! I AM PROUD TO BE A TEAMSTER!! POROUD THAT MY FATHER & GRANDFATHER WERE !! THE WORKING MAN HAS BEEN EXPLOITED ENOUGH!!

I am amazed at what I read here. The anti union sentiment. If your that unhappy then go. The union is only as stronng as it members. I was laid off for 2 years when we merged with carolina & I never even thought of jumping to a non union carrier. The union gaureentees you to do process! if ABF had their way we'd been cut along time ago. ABF cares about you? are you kidding me when they merged with carolina they knew the contract, they new they were putting their own people out of work & didn't care..they devestated families & never looked back. We deserve the right to have a voice at our jobs, the right to due process, the right for a fair wage & benefits. we had a fed ex driver by us he called himself " the go to guy" whenever fed ex here neede it done the went to him mr go to guy then he had an accident & he was fired ...thanks for being our mr. go to guy. times are tough we need to band together, hold together and fight together. we have been screwed time & time again by big business & we
need the working man to stand tough. everyday you read of business posting record profits & laying off thousands more...of ceo's & cfo's ****** the companies for their own profits...enough of this Kemp gets a raise of 25percent & you think the teamsters are killing ABF?? FACT THE TEAMSTERS SAVED YRC TO DATE ....MANAGEMENT PUT THEM ON THEIR DEATHBED NOT THE TEAMSTERS!! I AM PROUD TO BE A TEAMSTER!! POROUD THAT MY FATHER & GRANDFATHER WERE !! THE WORKING MAN HAS BEEN EXPLOITED ENOUGH!!

Welcome to the Comunism,Comrade=Teamster.I was born and raised in a comunist country,i live here by choice.Enough with all bullshit about how united will win,Union is organized as a comunist party where the Chosen Few ar living on the others expenses.I started to work for ABF NOT because was a job inheritance(like u) but because i was aiming for a company who cares about their drivers :stirthepot:little i knew that i was only a number.Like i SAID ALREADY be proud to share with us which concessions u did ,to have a ''layoff Brother" come back to work,before u ask yourself what others can do for you.

That didn't even deserve a response...

Are u serious?I know for a fact that "brothers" who "earned their right to screw over those with less seniority" are the ones who "bring to the table the less",this being one of the reasons ABF being in deep ::shit::.Choosing the best routes,when to work,how long,and all of that is one of your rights ? How about making 5 ,6 deliveries /hr every day?How about not taking over somebody else's route because have less stops or longer ride?How many time u been layoff for more then 8 months and not working because Union had bend over and taken it from behind from ABF?Like i said tell me what concessions YOU have made for your POOR layoff "brothers".If u ever been through hard time ,YOU,the senior brother should be the one to help your brother first by working "only" 10 hrs a day and let the others earn a living too.But NOT,YOU choose that u deserve everything,sooo guess what?I wish u to work until u drop death at the barn,because i will go to work for a company who rewards work and quality not seniority.

Spoken like a jr. man !!!

ABF is loosing big money very fast and sooner or later it is going to effect us in a big way. I don't like giving up anything and think wage concessions or not the answer. I know something has to be done and fast, we can't compete with our cost structure at this time. Even YRC and the nonunions have a lower cost structure at this time. We have a very large account at our terminal, that we may loose because of price. Southeastern is kicking our *** on price. WE were getting 5 to 7 trailers a night from them, now 1 maybe 2 a night if we are lucky. The customer said that the service ABF offers is unmatched, but it is all about price at this time. The account wants to stay with ABF, but needs a better price from us. Our TM was asked to do better on price and tried but ABF could not and still make a profit. Southeastern will end up getting the account because of price. ABF is a good company and a great job, I would like to be able to keep. I know they must do something to compete and will listen to what they have to say.