ABF | Now what do you think about ABF consessions

[quote author=ScifiFri link=topic=75661.msg813847#msg813847 date=1268801629]
well someone already clarified, they haven't raised anyone's pay by 200%, they just made it possible for a base salary to be over $1mill, which in my opinion is a precursor to them expecting bonuses to be much less so they feel to keep their executives they're gonna have to pay more. That's just my opinion though :)
[/quote]

I guess I was wrong:
Check this out: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/894405/000095012310016799/d71155ddef14a.htm

Search for "Summary Compensation Table" and notice the increasing $ figures in the "Salary ($)" column. Interesting... since they say there has been no executive officer salary increases in over two years" ... I know I haven't had a raise in nearly 3 years!!

oh well.

Here is what I know. You guys take it for what it is worth.

When the IBT allowed a vote to YRC on a concession plan, the company was on the verge of closing. Had the economy kept pace, they wouldn't have needed help. The IBT did what they thought they needed to do save 40,000 jobs. The worst of it, the guys in Chicago, said loud and clear, not once but three times to shove it, and the IBT took unprecedented moves to shut them up by screwing the Chicago area Local's by abolishing their agreements. So now, it's our turn at bat.

Over the past 18 months, ABF has gone to the IBT hat in hand for a concession of their own. They have refused to corral 15% of the stock to collateralize the concession, they've refused to open their books, and now, that they have been successful at moving enough money around, pised away money like drunken sailors, they have manufactured a case of a give back. Wes said that they didn't take several million dollars in raises, just an advancement in position that gives them a different compensation package, therefore, are entitled to a multi-million dollar compensation package. So, a raise is not a raise, just a different venue. What the feck is the difference? So, if the company executives think that they deserve a boost and we deserve a cut, and we give them the concession, who will benefit directly from our loss? Fart Schmitts mahogany row residents, in full, and it would be my guess that a bump in the form of a bonus getting this screwing of the production employees. IF THEY WERE SO CONCERNED BY THE MONETARY LOSSES THEY WOULD DEFER THESE RAISES UNTIL WE REACH PROFITABILITY.
The company has acted in bad faith in the months past. Here is why. How many times have you set in hotels, and waited until after your 8 hour layover, to pull empties home? How many times have you shown up to work to wait on the bench an hour or more? How many times have you gone to the "almost ready line" to find obvious defects in equipment needing to be brought to the shop? How many times have you seen bid men forced to bed outside their bid, only for the company to have to pay 8 hours penalty? How many times do guys sit on the bench at turnarounds waiting hours for freight, when 30 minutes after they leave to have other turn drivers take empties back?
The biggest money pit is the RPM. That hasn't made a penny since inception, and they are running regular line haul freight mostly. But the IBT has allowed them to fill the trailers to avoid running empty all the time. Millions and millions of dollars, just to keep that thing running for when the economy turns around, which I think will be in the next six to nine months.
The worst of it is this. Pay attention. If ABF is allowed to give us the full screwing that they want to give us will allow them to cut rates below YRC, and put them out of business. This is their goal. In other words, they want us to fall on our own sword. Also, the value of working for this company will be gone, and give many of us the reasons we need to move on to other companies. Yeah the job market is lousy, but how many companies would turn away dozens of million, two million and three million miles safe drivers? How many companies would turn away award winning city drivers?

We are in the middle of of a power struggle between the IBT and the company. The simple answer is yes boss, give it to me in the ash. We need to tell TJ to look at the facts, get the company to open the books at ABF and ABC, show us where they are hiding the money, and report the truth. If they need these concessions escrow 20% of the companies stock, then we will talk.

Don't let the company take it's new policy in hand. The new unwritten policy is beat the mule till it's dead, kick it aside and get a new mule.

My vote will be NO to any concessions until they start managing this company the way it used to. Time to get back to basics Wes. This finely engineered piece of loss is so obvious that you need to try something else.

well my ear hurts after 45 mins of double talk looks like it'll be vote till you get it right and they reminded chicago guys about losing white paper imagine that !!!!

You no voters make me sick!! Can't you see that ABF can't compete with the rest of the LTL's out there? Go ahead and vote no and in a few years you will have no job and there will be no ABF. Quit being so selfish!!!!!!

Just thought everyone should checkout and read these site and spread the word!!!!!

http://quicktake.morningstar.com/stocknet/balance10.aspx?country=usa&symbol=abfs

http://quicktake.morningstar.com/stocknet/income10.aspx?symbol=abfs

Last year was the only year they really lost money. This year they have been trying to lose money with bad management and to many people on the dock with no loads to unload at 034, and I'm sure it's the same else where. They are trying tosteal are money out from under us....TEAMSTERS! People have died fighting for this union and we as brothers have forgotten this! We need to stop the unions from giving in and fight for are money! Top management is not giving up their money or bonuses, why should we? Come on teamsters stand up and make your voices heard thru out the system!!!

I agree with dave034. ABF would like us to go in to dept, with pay cuts, rather than them fixing the problems we all see. .. VOTE NO!!!!

[quote author=aerobatt link=topic=75661.msg814221#msg814221 date=1268963775]
You no voters make me sick!! Can't you see that ABF can't compete with the rest of the LTL's out there? Go ahead and vote no and in a few years you will have no job and there will be no ABF. Quit being so selfish!!!!!!
[/quote

Talk about making people sick.... you take the cake!!!! If you are so worried about the company , just give your paycheck back. If you can't see what's happening, there's no use even trying to explain anything to you! You are one big kiss...!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]I will vote NO and if ABF is gone in a few years then so be it. There will be life after ABF. In my personal opinion were under paid so as it is. Sitting by a phone 24 hours a day waiting to go to work, working holidays, weekends, driving in a foot of snow and so on. Why should we give up what are brother's and sister's fought so hard for just because "They" say that they can't compete. When ABF was making profits did they offer you a bonus? They signed a contract so live by it. Giving up 10 or 15 percent we will be making LESS then are non union counter parts and as Teamster we set the standard. Hell you might as well vote the union too. >:(

[/quote]Look at YRC, and ask yourselves this question. Do you want to end up like them? Vote No, be able to walk away with your head raised up, or be like YRC with everyone crawling down on their knees and begging like a dog.

This is a the direction this country is going. You have the haves and the have nots and the haves want to increase the distance between the two. The only way to stop the trend is to stop being sheep. Yes we are at a big disadvantage with our competition. I would much rather see our competition with the advantages over us gain the wages and pay we have rather than us going down to their level. When is the last time a major ltl company been organized?

we all new this mess would come to a head..
when was it that ABF said they were having talks with the Union.. last quarter of 2009
then the union tells them to retract those statments because allegidly they were'nt talking..
next step chicago loses their only opportunity to tell them NO by themselves..no more seperate agreements..then flynn gets off the international..i want to hope it's because he was'nt happy with how the seperate bargaining agreements were takin away...
next step .. we are having talks..they said it on the conferance call.. it's been going on for a year..
then i go back and watch this video

http://www.teamster.org/content/spe...e-president-and-secretary-treasurer-local-710

clearly states they could'nt get rid of our seperate bargaining agreement...begged the international to do it..but they could'nt do it
something smells real damn fishy here...
i for one am a for sure NO vote..guarantee it..
its hard enough to pay the high cost of living in the chicagoland area without having monies takin away from us...and thats precisely why we have had a seperate agreement..

so if it couldnt be takin away before legally then why is it gone now

when YRC gave concessions they were in a bad way..they needed it to bail them out of almost for sure company created bad managment decisions and for sure death..they had banks holding them by the throat..ABF is debt free and has lost money but in my eyes it's just a sign of bad economic times...so they ask for concessions because the economy is bad...what happens when the economy gets better..do we go to them and ask for the contract to be opened because we want more money???they will tell us exactly what we need to tell them..you signed a contract wait until this is up and we will talk...
almost guarantee that the contract the heads of the company have wont be broken..they will get their bonuses..look at dollar bill over at YRC...what a kick in his employees face...what did he get for all his employee screwing.30 million..

ABF lost money but in no way are they in need of a bail out from their employees..as soon as the economy starts picking up and people start spending money they are hording they will start making that money back... hell they showed a loss.. do what every other business does and write it off on your taxes...rest assured they will be doing that right along side of them taking from the labor who actually make it happen for them

I agree with dockit. For those of you who have their balls in their old ladies hand bag, we already know how you (she)will vote. A company has one bad year considering the current economic situation and they panic? As cousin Eddie would say...

"My house is Full!!"
Cousin_Eddie.jpg

[size=18pt]Vote NO![/size]

I just want to make a couple quick points. First off I believe I gave back enough over the past two years being laid off 14 months and counting. Second I wonder what the chances are of ABF reopening the contract if they had a couple of fantastic years? Does anybody think if they had record profits the last year would the have let us renegotiate to get a nice big raise? Hell no!!! They would have told us to pound salt just like I plan on telling them. They want help from me but they don't seem to mind letting us laid off guys sit while they're working the ones left into the ground. So to be totally honest I don't care how ABF ends up. If I'm out of a job so be it. I'm out of one now and have been for quite some time. That being said if they came and asked for just a pay freeze I think they would have a lot more luck getting it pushed through. But just not by me!!

10-4! Same here. I been laid off Nov.08.Called back in the middle of Aug 09 for three weeks,and been laid off ever since. Remember ABF says we are all family,what about our families?