ABF | Now what do you think about ABF consessions

i want you all to remember this at contract time..

when they are making record profits again..thats when we push for more.. they try this ::shit:: now when the economy is in the dumper..well when our contracts come up we need to set a new standard..

look at ABF stocks..closed over 30 bux today...
i guess for all you lets give the company a break types i am missing something :biglaugh:

who wants to bet they show a profit for 2010 without concessions

I'll take your money! There is no way in h3ll this company is making a profit in 2010.

The stock price is still high because there aren't a couple billion shares outstanding. ABF has much fewer shares compared to YRC. Also, the price is cyclical, as it fluctuates between about 18 and 32 every 3 to 6 months or so.

It doesn't not matter wether this company makes money or not this year I will not give back nor do I believe the union workers should give back. there is proof that while losing money that the leadership of this company ( family) continues too take raises. The board of directors looks too raise the ceiling of the money the top 3 directors can make. This company is not in debt nor is it close to bankruptcy which is why this clause was put into the NMFA. To help a company stay afloat & save jobs ....we are already working so close to the bone understaffed...HXP drivers running thru without beaks or lunch hours to get the freight back
RegVP'S pushing the HXP men to keep running for the sake of the company. P&D drivers working in excess of the legal limit of hours daily & weekly & fixing logs with the dispatchers consent in order to cover all the work how much more do they want? we don't hire anyone. they originally wanted a cap on vacations is because some many of the work force having 4 & 5 weeks b/c they don't hire new people. they want you to do more & get paid less while the top dogs maintain their lifestyle & why not they're intitled their doing the important jobs!! Every year kemp & Mcreynolds got their raises & as far as a promotion which would account for ONLY THE LAST RAISE..they both had the perfect opportunity to step up & say due to our present economic situation I will forgo my raise & lead this company back to profitability as an example of my believe in this company & I will ask no employee of the "abf family" to do anything i wouldn't be willing to do...& THEY FAILED THEY TOOK THEIR MONEY B/C THEY DESERVE IT & THEN ASK THE LITTLE PEOPLE WHOM ARE ALREADY OVERPAID & PROTECTED TO GIVE BACK 15% & BE GRATEFUL THAT YOU HAVE A JOB!! WE ARE HERE B/C OF YRC & FOR MY FORT SMITH FAMILY REMEMBER THOU SHALL NOT COVET THEY NEIGHBORS GOODS!!!

No they will just sell it or close it down....Lots of companies already gone You and I know more will go in 2010 - Will ABF be one of them

[quote author=nad link=topic=75661.msg816076#msg816076 date=1269467190]
No they will just sell it or close it down....Lots of companies already gone You and I know more will go in 2010 - Will ABF be one of them
[/quote]They won't do either b/c they don't have a non union company to spin it off too like the others. this isn't the first give back that abf has asked for or maybe you weren't here when Mr. Young asked for a give back & IT WAS VOTED DOWN & yet we didn't close down even while others did. You cannot ignore history no company ever gave back & survived. Preston gave back with the promise they'd be returned to scale when profitable ..well the did make a profit & did they go back to scale NO they were sold & then shut down..too many good men sacrificed before me to have the rights i have under my union contract..too many men were hurt,killed just so we could have they right to a union to be protected to raise a family to have due proccess I will not forget there sacrifices so I may have what I have I will not dishonor their work before me. I have a contract that states fair day's work for a fair days pay..my pay should represent today not 2005. If this company should perish it would be a very sad day for me..however I'll know that I did my best & that I have my money & I won't have to complain or explain what happened. this company put many of it family members out of work when they purchased other companies knowing full well what the union contract read & then tried to blame the union for it. they don't care about you or your family &they will replace you in a minute with cheaper labor if they could. this isn't economics although it helps their case to sell it..it's union busting & trying to intimidate you & your family into giving up what has been already earned.......

I am amazed at what I read here.
First off, the union is a neccessary evil. Without them, any particular industry would be hard on the workers. Union increases pay and improves working conditions for everyone including non-union competitors. A union carrier's pay and benefits affects others in the same industry because others must offer somewhat similar benefits and pay or they couldn't get decent help. The transportation business has been exempt from ovetime wage laws for many years, supposedly because of produce or other food spoiling while sitting somewhere during transit, but this law was probably more about profit. However, this fact has allowed the transportation industry to be ripe for union representation.
All that being said, I worked for a lot of years for a non-union carrier with the illusion that it wasn't costing me much. Well, it was. I worked casual for a short while for ABF and saw the cash come rolling into my pocket. Wow, what a difference OT after 8 hours makes. I worked for and with some good people at ABF but it was scary to see how little some of the guys did in a day while making 60 or 70 grand a year. Milking the clock, abusing freight that they didn't want to haul, handling stuff with total disregard and literally tearing stuff up, working slowly, or not much at all and complaining about it. The union is neccessary but it fosters a very unhealthy environment for the carrier if guys like I saw are allowed to get away with what they do. To be honest, the brotherhood could greatly help themselves by straightening out the work habits of some of their own. Maybe the shop steward's job description should be evaluated. Maybe that person should be able to crack the whip on those people who are trying to kill the sheep. You can sheer a sheep many times but kill it only once. Not caring about your job or the customer is a sure fire way to ensure that your junior brothers will have no job in the future.
Finally, I have to wonder about the impact of the union in a different way. I see all sorts of posts on here from people who appear to lack basic grammar skills but are probably making 65K a year. If this is you, realize that a person with this lack of ability will not forever be worth this kind of income to any company anywhere. A business manager with a BS in business may not make any more. I'm not saying what we do is easy, but lets be realistic here. Good luck to ABF and all it's work force!

[quote author=aurasalex link=topic=75661.msg796495#msg796495 date=1264891844]
I am amazed at what I read here. The anti union sentiment. If your that unhappy then go. The union is only as stronng as it members. I was laid off for 2 years when we merged with carolina & I never even thought of jumping to a non union carrier. The union gaureentees you to do process! if ABF had their way we'd been cut along time ago. ABF cares about you? are you kidding me when they merged with carolina they knew the contract, they new they were putting their own people out of work & didn't care..they devestated families & never looked back. We deserve the right to have a voice at our jobs, the right to due process, the right for a fair wage & benefits. we had a fed ex driver by us he called himself " the go to guy" whenever fed ex here neede it done the went to him mr go to guy then he had an accident & he was fired ...thanks for being our mr. go to guy. times are tough we need to band together, hold together and fight together. we have been screwed time & time again by big business & we
need the working man to stand tough. everyday you read of business posting record profits & laying off thousands more...of ceo's & cfo's ****** the companies for their own profits...enough of this Kemp gets a raise of 25percent & you think the teamsters are killing ABF?? FACT THE TEAMSTERS SAVED YRC TO DATE ....MANAGEMENT PUT THEM ON THEIR DEATHBED NOT THE TEAMSTERS!! I AM PROUD TO BE A TEAMSTER!! POROUD THAT MY FATHER & GRANDFATHER WERE !! THE WORKING MAN HAS BEEN EXPLOITED ENOUGH!!

Welcome to the Comunism,Comrade=Teamster.I was born and raised in a comunist country,i live here by choice.Enough with all ::shit:: about how united will win,Union is organized as a comunist party where the Chosen Few ar living on the others expenses.I started to work for ABF NOT because was a job inheritance(like u) but because i was aiming for a company who cares about their drivers :stirthepot:little i knew that i was only a number.Like i SAID ALREADY be proud to share with us which concessions u did ,to have a ''layoff Brother" come back to work,before u ask yourself what others can do for you.
[/quote]

As a Reddaway Teamster, I would love to know what wage concession Hoffa jr. has taken? while we bend over and take it in the A$$ Those that bad mouth Fed- Ex should explain how it is that at this moment after our pay give back they START their drivers at 7cents a mile more than I make at top scale and about $2.00 more on the hourly???? yeah thank you teamsters. Our non union terminals get no cost health insurance and we teamsters have to contribute! yep, those teamsters are real tough negotiators. No short term disability for teamsters but it is provided to our non-union shops at no charge. I bet management just trembles at the thought of entering the room for those negotiations.

hey directly from the new CEO Judy McReynolds..well at least from her interview from the Arkansas Trucking Report...

“Well, we know that we’re going to be a survivor in this recession and we know that we can plant the seeds and lay the ground work for being very successful when the turn comes.”

She also believes that the LTL sector does things differently than its truckload counterpart. Having worked in both sectors, there is no mistaking which she prefers.

“I would distinguish the truckload industry and the LTL industry this way,” she said. “The LTL industry is where there are many, many more opportunities to add value to the customer experience than in the truckload space. Truckload in my view is more commodity driven and winds up being price driven.

“Now I will say this,” she reflected, to elaborate. “You do see a lot of relationship building in truckload and that’s why it lends itself to entrepreneurs who have a lot of personality and they like to be with people. In the LTL world we approach it in a way where there’s a lack of customer concentration,” explaining that ABF has no customer with more than 3% of the total business. “You have many more transactions and that equates to thousands of decisions every month.

“We also have the unique opportunity because of our balance sheet,” she said, explaining that being good stewards of the company’s cash over the years has paid off. “We are able to go out and do some of these things now, while other companies are constrained and can’t.” McReynolds confidently added, “We will manipulate our place in the market to a better position.”

The strategy could already be working. McReynolds confides that ABF has actually picked up market share at a time when competitors are more internally focused on surviving than looking at their customers’ needs. “That will serve us well for a long time in the future.”

from what the new CEO is talking i would'nt think ABF would need to come to us for concessions..

[quote author=rumplstilskin link=topic=75661.msg816962#msg816962 date=1269712797]
I am amazed at what I read here.
First off, the union is a neccessary evil. Without them, any particular industry would be hard on the workers. Union increases pay and improves working conditions for everyone including non-union competitors. A union carrier's pay and benefits affects others in the same industry because others must offer somewhat similar benefits and pay or they couldn't get decent help. The transportation business has been exempt from ovetime wage laws for many years, supposedly because of produce or other food spoiling while sitting somewhere during transit, but this law was probably more about profit. However, this fact has allowed the transportation industry to be ripe for union representation.
All that being said, I worked for a lot of years for a non-union carrier with the illusion that it wasn't costing me much. Well, it was. I worked casual for a short while for ABF and saw the cash come rolling into my pocket. Wow, what a difference OT after 8 hours makes. I worked for and with some good people at ABF but it was scary to see how little some of the guys did in a day while making 60 or 70 grand a year. Milking the clock, abusing freight that they didn't want to haul, handling stuff with total disregard and literally tearing stuff up, working slowly, or not much at all and complaining about it. The union is neccessary but it fosters a very unhealthy environment for the carrier if guys like I saw are allowed to get away with what they do. To be honest, the brotherhood could greatly help themselves by straightening out the work habits of some of their own. Maybe the shop steward's job description should be evaluated. Maybe that person should be able to crack the whip on those people who are trying to kill the sheep. You can sheer a sheep many times but kill it only once. Not caring about your job or the customer is a sure fire way to ensure that your junior brothers will have no job in the future.
Finally, I have to wonder about the impact of the union in a different way. I see all sorts of posts on here from people who appear to lack basic grammar skills but are probably making 65K a year. If this is you, realize that a person with this lack of ability will not forever be worth this kind of income to any company anywhere. A business manager with a BS in business may not make any more. I'm not saying what we do is easy, but lets be realistic here. Good luck to ABF and all it's work force!
[/quote]

Hey Mr. Management Newbie, Before you go on here blasting anyone about their so called grammar skills. You might want to check your own post first for spelling errors first. Very typical, trying to tell the brothers and sisters at ABF what do to in their lives and preach from the management bible and doesn't follow his own D....A.. Advice, what a hack. Boomer

I'm voting NO to any givebacks.
Almost every ABF employee I work with,
and those I hear from at other terminals pretty much agree.
NO givebacks.
ABF is nothing like YRC.
I don't fault our brothers and sisters at YRC for doing what they felt they had to do.
They we're probably on the verge of bankruptcy.
I'm also taking a serious look at any Teamster official running for re-election that recommends any unnecessary givebacks.
While we wait for the "in-depth-audit" of the ABF books, this proposal was put forward that offers a different way of thinking, and possibly solves the purported cash flow problem, in a fair way,
without any significant loss of money to the employees:
In order to address and possibly solve the current liquidity and cash flow conditions of ABF,
and to allow for additional market competitiveness,
the following solution is submitted for consideration as a possible addendum to The National Master Freight Agreement.

Creation of a Liquidity Assistance Witholding Fund
Refered to as:
The LAW Fund

Each payroll period,
the Chief Executive Officer of ABF or duly authorized person shall have the discretionary authority to withold a percentage of pay equally across the board of all ABF employees,
both union and non-union alike, in an amount not to exceed 15%
These funds would be borrowed at 0% interest, and at the complete discretion and use of ABF (the company) for liquidity and cash flow needs,
for any day to day operations, or in any way deemed proper by ABF.
Each employee would have a weekly and total record of funds loaned to the company reflected in their witholding pay-stubs.
The funds would be repaid to any employee in the event of retirement, termination, voluntary quit, or any lay-off exceeding 30 days.
This power and authority would remain in effect throughout the current contract (ending April 2013), at which point repayment in full to all employees, or a renegotiation into the 2013 contract as agreed.
It is estimated that this would make capital available in excess of two-three hundred million dollars ($200,000,000.00-$300,000,000.00) over the next 3 years to ABF,
without any significant permanent loss to the employees.
The company would also be relieved of any strike action as a result of utilizing this provision as long as repayment terms are met as agreed.
In exchange for participation in The LAW Fund and providing the 0% loans, ABF would grant employees the ability to take unpaid days off with proper notice
(in accordance similar to sick day provisions).
This would allow employees the ability to adjust as they deem appropriate,
to these new financial conditions.
Let's be smart, and not giveback the wages we deserve.

[quote author=boygeorge link=topic=75661.msg819169#msg819169 date=1270347554]
Hey Leftyback:
Wow, a Teamster with an MBA in finance from Harvard!
[/quote]Hey BoyGeorge....As my friends from around Harvard Square would say "WICKED PISSAH"

[I have to admit Leftyback, that is a good one!

author=leftyblack link=topic=75661.msg819385#msg819385 date=1270420836]
[quote author=boygeorge link=topic=75661.msg819169#msg819169 date=1270347554]
Hey Leftyback:
Wow, a Teamster with an MBA in finance from Harvard!
[/quote]Hey BoyGeorge....As my friends from around Harvard Square would say "WICKED PISSAH"
[/quote]