FedEx Freight | NYC deliveries

WornOut

TB Lurker
Credits
Does anyone know how the operation works in New York City and the 4 burroughs? I hear that FX doesnt go down there, that they use contractors...why? Is it hard to deliver in NYC?, is it controlled by MAFIA bosses? Why cant a FX truck go into the city to deliver?

When I was in the city, there were no C O D shipments allowed to NYC. I figured they didn't want drivers carrying cash....

When I drove for Burlington Industries Transportation, our terminal in North Bergen New Jersey was all contractors. They made ALL NYC deliveries and pickups.The only contractors that we used. The equipment belonged to B.I T. but the drivers did not work for us. It was a Unionized operation. We were told that the best and sometimes only way we could get loaded and unloaded were with union drivers. I do not know if the same situation exists with FXF or not. Just maybe a guess.

From my understanding, much of NYC is taken care of by cartage comapnies. I'm pretty sure that LNY peddles Brooklyn as it is on the same island.
I would think that it has to do with time constraints, very low underpasses, etc. etc. There are many areas around the country where we use cartage companies. Such as eastern tip of Long Island, Cape Cod (Eastern Massachusetts) and I think D.C. (not sure about that one)

As with a lot of the big cities, and especially with NYC. A lot of places are union only pick up and deliveries, and some are union first. That may or may not be the reason.
as for box trucks, don't you guys have any?

I would say it's more a cost issue. between Parking tickets ( I used to collect them like baseball cards & they add up quick), time lost ( sometime in the middle of the day it would take one and a half hours just to go around the block in midtown Manhattan), along with accident/incident headaches, driver safety....ect. I think it's more cost effective for a company like Fed Ex to pay another company to deal with that nightmare.

Daredevil said:
I would say it's more a cost issue. between Parking tickets ( I used to collect them like baseball cards & they add up quick), time lost ( sometime in the middle of the day it would take one and a half hours just to go around the block in midtown Manhattan), along with accident/incident headaches, driver safety....ect. I think it's more cost effective for a company like Fed Ex to pay another company to deal with that nightmare.

This is all B.S.

The reason why local companys get the biz is because of control. You want your business seriously messed with? Try to compete against the local cartage companys.

This harkens back to the day of 'Goon Squads'..Any Union Member remember 'Goon Squads'?

USLoneStar said:
Is it hard to deliver in NYC?, is it controlled by MAFIA bosses?
You have watched way too many episodes of the Sopranos .......
With all big business, it is always about the money, and to service the 5 boro's effectively, the costs sometimes exceed the revenue due to extreme traffic, time consumed, special equipment and the high cost of real estate.
Do you know what the cost is to cross just one of the many bridges in metro NYC is ?
The Varrazano bridge costs $38.00 for a 4 axle, and that is only one bridge in a large metro area that contains crossings and tunnels all over the place .... it's all about the money !!

USLoneStar said:
Does anyone know how the operation works in New York City and the 4 burroughs? I hear that FX doesnt go down there, that they use contractors...why? Is it hard to deliver in NYC?, is it controlled by MAFIA bosses? Why cant a FX truck go into the city to deliver?

Your right about FXF using contractors. you guys use several contractors. the one in my area is called On-Time Trucking. they pick-up & deliver all your frt. for the 5 boros. never really understood why you need sub-contractors for Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, & Staten Is. it's very easy to service these areas. i could understand Manhattan frt. being given away because of the many obstacles involved. 2-men job inside delivery jobs, time lost due to traffic and no parking, liftgate deliveries, and not to mention the need of st. jobs. i've never seen a FXF st. job.

UnionTrucka said:
Your right about FXF using contractors. you guys use several contractors. the one in my area is called On-Time Trucking. they pick-up & deliver all your frt. for the 5 boros. never really understood why you need sub-contractors for Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, & Staten Is. it's very easy to service these areas. i could understand Manhattan frt. being given away because of the many obstacles involved. 2-men job inside delivery jobs, time lost due to traffic and no parking, liftgate deliveries, and not to mention the need of st. jobs. i've never seen a FXF st. job.
Uniontrucka:wacko: you know what the real reason is :wacko: It's all about the toilet paper..I have heard it's in short supply in Queens:bicycle:..........CRAZY

neutral said:
This is all B.S.

The reason why local companys get the biz is because of control. You want your business seriously messed with? Try to compete against the local cartage companys.

This harkens back to the day of 'Goon Squads'..Any Union Member remember 'Goon Squads'?
I remember sitting in lunch rooms in Jersey City and Brooklyn and the men treating the Steward like God.

UnionTrucka said:
i could understand Manhattan frt. being given away because of the many obstacles involved. 2-men job inside delivery jobs, time lost due to traffic and no parking, liftgate deliveries, and not to mention the need of st. jobs. i've never seen a FXF st. job.

Oh, I don't know about this. FedEx Freight seems to do just fine in San Francisco with these same sort of restrictions. Don't they?

neutral said:
Oh, I don't know about this. FedEx Freight seems to do just fine in San Francisco with these same sort of restrictions. Don't they?

well for whatever reason, FXF does not service the 5 boros. every now & then you'll see a FXF trailer but it's not common like before. they're not the only ones that do this. Estes,UPSF,R&L operate the same way in & around the boros. to a certain extent, Old Dom. sub-contracts out alot of their work too.

crazy said:
Uniontrucka:wacko: you know what the real reason is :wacko: It's all about the toilet paper..I have heard it's in short supply in Queens:bicycle:..........CRAZY

hey now, make another crack about that and i'll tell the big guy you said he was too fat for a Harley:realmad:

It's not impossible to handle NYC, but given the way we are setup it would be more difficult. When I was peddaling Manhattan I was there at 3am and on my way out by noon at the latest. Our P&D guys hardly ever get out our own gate before 10am.