SAIA | Od driver thinking of switching

Depends on how lazy the terminal manager is. Some of the ones I've seen here I sit back and wonder how they ever made it to where they are. Won't answer the phone, can't get them to do anything for you, all lip service and no action, etc. Hopefully that's not the case with your local TM, but it's all too common in the Saia system.

Sad but true. Sometimes i wonder how some of them keep there jobs.

I've heard that the older Saia terminals are ran better than the ones they bought from other companies in the last 12 years or so.

The good thing is with linehaul once you get hired central dispatch runs the show for linehaul. So unless you have an issue you just do your thing and don't have to talk to anyone.
In retrospect, I've been really fortunate to get some darn good "service" from location dispatchers. And, not to get all Runaway Train on y'all, I've only run into a couple lackluster managers. Most seem very willing to help linehaul get down the road.

aYdDJuu.jpg

aYdDJuu.jpg

I am a LH driver once a city driver and if I switched to saia I would go p&d.. I'm paid mileage now and gross over 90k a year with od. Money's not everything in life to me. Just exploring my options closer to home! Any of you guys ever been to the Mansfield terminal
Being a city driver does not get easier as you get older, it sucks no matter what color truck you drive....leaving with 15 stops and you don't even get out the gate and you have 4 pickups on you already.....you just start to think you are catching up and having a good day and they give you some of someone else's pickups because they are struggling...the city blows....I understand the attraction of the schedule, but don't forget Office Depot crap, Baxter, worlds finest chocolate, jostens year books, those freaking tests that go to the schools, Yankee candle, marshal pro, guest supply services, blah blah blah stack it on the back and wheel it in....if you have a set...hooking and breaking 5 times a day...not getting a lunch or taking it at the end...

Last edited:
I hear ya freightman68. You make a lot of valid points, and those you mentioned and then some are some of the reasons I left. Having dispatch just dump the screen on you, because so and so is having a tough go of it...blah blah. Never once got a "thanks" or "good job" for my efforts either. Funny how I never seemed to have those "tough time" days, I just buckled down and got after it. Alas...

I ask because I have a schedule and after 5 years I drive 2 hours just to commute.. that's 2 hours every day I could be at home... Saia seems like a ok company
Not trying to butt in. Have you considered moving your home address closer? Just wondering because I am in the same predicament but have only been commuting for 5 years,hour and 10 min,and hate it, but am also within 5 years of retirement. Have 30 years in with YRC. Tried getting on with OD where I live, but no luck. Would go there in a minute. Good company. Good luck

No saia. Terminal in Charleston/Huntington,WV. Area. Any ideas on. Saia moving into area? XPO/CONWAY. Deal has me spooked!