SAIA | Od driver thinking of switching

Maybe moving closer to your terminal could be a better option if you don't want to lose what you have and have to start over.

everybody move over and give grumpy some room. Am I understanding correctly that you have a schedule which means that you are what we call a linehaul driver. If you are a linehaul driver are you paid by the mile or by the hour? Does OD pay your health insurance?
I'm curious what you and Jack Knife think about this young man's predicament. Any advice for the young man? At 26 he could use some sound advice.

Yup 26 been driving with Od since I was 21 I'm 48 out of 160+ on LH side. I am a home owner and have no intention of moving closer to coh because I live in a great area! I have been thinking about this for awhile and I see your terminal is hiring I'm my area along with Estes

I paid my dues at od but Im still young enough to start over I feel if it makes me happier. 68 miles on way to work eats up a lot of my family time at the end of the week. My wife is a nurse so I could take a pay cut and be fine.. can you make 60k there as a city driver?

I paid my dues at od but Im still young enough to start over I feel if it makes me happier. 68 miles on way to work eats up a lot of my family time at the end of the week. My wife is a nurse so I could take a pay cut and be fine.. can you make 60k there as a city driver?
60K is about right. Running between 50-55 hours a week. P&D top out is 24.66 plus OT after 45 ... Normally it takes 18 months to top out but some regions start you at the 12 month progression. Plus a 3-5K signing bonus. In some areas you could be topped out in 6 months. You would just have to check with your area manager to find out. If your serious go online and fill out an application. With your OD background and a clean driving record you should get a call from a recruiter in no time at all.

I filled out an application online I'm a trainer and have 5 years accident free ticket free hopefully that helps on the application
That driving record is everything. I see no problems at all. Just be patient it can take several weeks. Just remember this coming from a 60 year old man that has done just about everything in this business and very close to retirement. It gets no better than SAIA ... Is it perfect? Absolutely not. NOTHING IS PERFECT. But the culture can't be beat and this company is growing rapidly and doing it the right way "Union Free." Don't listen to those that can't be satisfied even in paradise. Keep us posted and welcome to the SAIA family in advance if you choose to come on board. With your youth and credentials I see no problem at all.

Last edited:
Runawaytrain thanks for the advice I'm not like most young drivers I grew up on a farm and take a lot of pride in my career and my licence. Do not get me wrong OD is a great company, I would hate to leave because I'm not a job jumper. The only reason is the drive to work is starting to wear on me and I'm not sure I can do it for 25 more years. If I may ask what's your 401k match.. I put 15% a week in at od and the match 6% at .30 cents on the dollar. I have a good amount in mine now because I want to be able to retire someday

Here's my take on the situation. Snowflake is 26 yrs old. He's married, his wife has a nice job, and he likes where he lives. At OD, making 90k per, he probably has a high mileage schedule. He's low on a slow upward moving board so he's going to have a long wait time to get something to improve his home time and then there is that commute everyday. By the time he gets up, gets ready for work, commutes, works his schedule, commutes back home; he's killed 15 hours a day leaving just enough time to get some sleep and start over the next day. By the end of the week, he's praying for the weekend. Welcome to my world and I ain't 26.

By moving to Saia and working the day shift, he cuts his pay to 60k or so, but he greatly improves his quality and amount of home time by getting rid of that commute and probably working less hours on his day shift. After one year, his vacation schedule will probably be a wash with the addition of the 5 personal days. He has access to relatively low cost health insurance in case his wife doesn't have access to a health plan. Our 401k has a good match on the first 6%.

At 26 and looking at several decades of service ahead, I would jump in a heartbeat. Improve your home time while you are still young because when you get older, you can't go back. Jump and enjoy life.

Just a suggestion...ever consider becoming an owner/operator? You determine your own schedule then, and that pay may be even better than working for an LTL company. Just a thought.

Here's my take on the situation. Snowflake is 26 yrs old. He's married, his wife has a nice job, and he likes where he lives. At OD, making 90k per, he probably has a high mileage schedule. He's low on a slow upward moving board so he's going to have a long wait time to get something to improve his home time and then there is that commute everyday. By the time he gets up, gets ready for work, commutes, works his schedule, commutes back home; he's killed 15 hours a day leaving just enough time to get some sleep and start over the next day. By the end of the week, he's praying for the weekend. Welcome to my world and I ain't 26.

By moving to Saia and working the day shift, he cuts his pay to 60k or so, but he greatly improves his quality and amount of home time by getting rid of that commute and probably working less hours on his day shift. After one year, his vacation schedule will probably be a wash with the addition of the 5 personal days. He has access to relatively low cost health insurance in case his wife doesn't have access to a health plan. Our 401k has a good match on the first 6%.

At 26 and looking at several decades of service ahead, I would jump in a heartbeat. Improve your home time while you are still young because when you get older, you can't go back. Jump and enjoy life.
Excellent post !!!! Worth at least 100 likes.

Runawaytrain thanks for the advice I'm not like most young drivers I grew up on a farm and take a lot of pride in my career and my licence. Do not get me wrong OD is a great company, I would hate to leave because I'm not a job jumper. The only reason is the drive to work is starting to wear on me and I'm not sure I can do it for 25 more years. If I may ask what's your 401k match.. I put 15% a week in at od and the match 6% at .30 cents on the dollar. I have a good amount in mine now because I want to be able to retire someday
Dracula anwsered it ... But they match 50% to 6%

Dracula I have a 596 mile a run a day by choice I'm 48 out of 160+. I hired in a good time but your right I leave my house and return home after 15+ hours a day. Can I run extra LH on weekends if I'm a p&d driver

How's your vacation after 5 years I have 3 weeks plus 2 all purpose days and my birthday is a holiday.. I'm looking at Saia and Estes I wanna stay union free.. I have thought about O/E myself, my father is one and has been for 30 plus years.. but I have seen first had the ups and downs of that game

Dracula I have a 596 mile a run a day by choice I'm 48 out of 160+. I hired in a good time but your right I leave my house and return home after 15+ hours a day. Can I run extra LH on weekends if I'm a p&d driver
I hate to but in ... But why would you want to work weekends if the main purpose of this change is to spend more time with the family?

Last edited:
I'm curious what you and Jack Knife think about this young man's predicament. Any advice for the young man? At 26 he could use some sound advice.

Here you go train. if I was in his shoes and not wanting to move it's SAIA all the way. Saia L/H in most terminals is a good choice. He needs to under stand that he will be in the system ( gone 5 days a week) or a shuttle driver ( if they have shuttle drivers most don't). ask questions we do have a bunch of good drivers that will help him with what ever he needs. remember no question is a dumb question the first time it's asked. I do have some problems with the way some things are done around here BUT I would probably find the same problems @ the other companies, with most the only difference is the name on the door and the color of the truck. So I guess my best advice would be WELCOME TO SAIA! and fell free to pm me any questions you don't want to ask in public.