SAIA | Od driver thinking of switching

The original poster asked about the Mansfield, Ohio terminal. I would want to know everything about their operation before jumping ship (volume the terminal handles, # of doors, # of city and linehaul drivers). An old coworker of mine lives in Mansfield and commutes to Columbus every day because the Holland terminal he worked out of in Mansfield closed several years ago. Granted, it was shut down near the beginning of the Great Recession and Holland has other issues, but it would make me nervous working for an LTL out of a smaller city. It is not uncommon to see old LTL terminals rotting away in those towns.

On the plus side, if they are growing they are doing so strategically. Mansfield is actually a good location for covering parts of the state that are inconvenient to reach from the big cities (prepare for a lot of Amish country P&D work!). I'd choose Saia over Estes based on everything I've heard, but they aren't the only LTLs there. Dayton Freight and others also have Mansfield terminals. Hell, you can hit UPSF, FedEx Freight, Ward, and Saia on one damn street. Take the day off and shake some hands!

I am a LH driver once a city driver and if I switched to saia I would go p&d.. I'm paid mileage now and gross over 90k a year with od. Money's not everything in life to me. Just exploring my options closer to home! Any of you guys ever been to the Mansfield terminal
Ive spent some time at that terminal...they are very slow...theres a wating list to transfer up there..iam out of columbus...worked for od myself....love working at saia better

Yeah Rt 100k do sound good lol. It get slow a little at GRL here and there lately might ask dispatch get me 2 Mps and i run out of there all week till time 2 go home Mps be having freight

Because they reinvest much of their money back into the company. Among many other reasons.

Just not the drivers right? They match the bare minimum on 401k and no overtime. Isn't it something like a 30 percent match on the first six percent? Not to mention the high weekly premiums for family health care.

Just not the drivers right? They match the bare minimum on 401k and no overtime. Isn't it something like a 30 percent match on the first six percent? Not to mention the high weekly premiums for family health care.

You are wrong. It is 50% on the first 6%.......and family health care is $37.50 a week and free after 10 years.

P.S. don't tell any one.....but I would drive for 25 cpm with no 401k and no health insurance.......before I would ever work for a union company.

You are wrong. It is 50% on the first 6%.......and family health care is $37.50 a week and free after 10 years.

P.S. don't tell any one.....but I would drive for 25 cpm with no 401k and no health insurance.......before I would ever work for a union company.

I should have clarified. I was referring to Old Dominon.

OK .... I left you guys alone and won't be back so please go away. But just to set the record straight Saia matches 50% to 6% .... Saia pay OT after 45 ... $12 weekly (single) ($37 family) for United Healthcare's best plan. $ 25 office visits. Low deductibles .... $24.66 City .... 60 cpm linehaul. Look we are happy here being union free. 1924-2015 .... 91 years of a union free culture. We don't need a 3rd party. If you do then go for it. I wish you the best of luck.

Amen !!! Virginia Tech. I hear you loud and clear. Saia will never be union. NEVER !!!!

What does the union have to do with a guy who wants to work closer to home?

Why do these conversations always drift into the whole "us versus them" debate?

Nothing
Because some people are just plain stupid. We work as a team at SAIA ..... There is no "us and them" here. Again we work as a team to serve our customers needs. It has been that way since 1924 and will never change. A 90 operation ratio says its working. And it will be in the 80's very soon. We will catch OD in time and we will do it union free.

Last edited:
Nothing

Because some people are just plain stupid. We work as a team at SAIA ..... There is no "us and them" here. Again we work as a team to serve our customers needs. It has been that way since 1924 and will never change. A 90 operation ratio says its working. And it will be in the 80's very soon. We will catch OD in time and we will do it union free.

:smiliewhs: :1036316054:

Agreed. I made a comparison of Od's compensation to yours, and VT felt the need to bring it up. If I were the original poster I'd make the switch.