ODFL | OD questions

Arky

TB Lurker
Credits
I have a friend who says he can hook me up at a local OD terminal. He tells me that there are basicly 3 options.

1. P&D - I don't want to do, would rather drive linehaul or what he calls "system".

2. Linehaul - As I understand, it's a dedicated trip to the same place every day (or night).

3. System - I haven't seen this term used anywhere on the forums. He says that you are basicly dispatched from terminal to terminal as needed.

My questions are about the "System" job as that seems to be my pick.
1. Do you get home "most" weekends and for how long?
2. Do they put you up in motels if your running the system?
3. Is this mostly terminal to terminal work?
4. I would be based out of Memphis or L.R., would I stay in the southeast most of the time?

I'll ask more questions later, just trying to feel this LTL thing out a little. Please keep in mind these questions are not requirments for me to accept the job. I'm just trying to get an idea of what's in store.

Thanks, Arky

Arky said:
I have a friend who says he can hook me up at a local OD terminal. He tells me that there are basicly 3 options.

1. P&D - I don't want to do, would rather drive linehaul or what he calls "system".

2. Linehaul - As I understand, it's a dedicated trip to the same place every day (or night).

3. System - I haven't seen this term used anywhere on the forums. He says that you are basicly dispatched from terminal to terminal as needed.

4. I would be based out of Memphis or L.R., would I stay in the southeast most of the time?

I'll ask more questions later, just trying to feel this LTL thing out a little. Please keep in mind these questions are not requirments for me to accept the job. I'm just trying to get an idea of what's in store.

Thanks, Arky

I think he's talking about running 'wild'. We call running terminal to terminal and being away from your home terminal for a few days at a time, 'wild'

1. Yes, although I have talked to wild drivers who, at when they were at my terminal, we on their 20th day out (by the drivers choice). OD is good at getting you home when you want.

2.Yes, all drivers except teams, sleep in hotels... some are great, some are horrible (VEGAS!!!... ew!)

3. Yes, thats all we do.

4. Yes, they usualy keep you in your own 'reigon'... But I see drivers from MRT in PHX all the time.

It may be hard to get hired right into a line or wild run however.

wow, that was quick and THANKS!

OD sounds like a class act. I wouldn't mind paying my dues in P&D for a while, but I would have to relocate to do that. That's one reason I lean towards running "wild" (I'll use your term :)). I could drive over and put my week (or more) in and then drive home. The hometime is no big deal, but I would prefer more than the OTR drivers get.

I'll be sure to ask him about how long it would take for me to be able to run linehaul or "wild". He seems to think they have a lot of trouble (here) getting drivers to run "wild" and it's pretty much open. I'll be sure to get clarification on this.

Thanks for the quick response!!

Arky

Arky said:
wow, that was quick and THANKS!

OD sounds like a class act. I wouldn't mind paying my dues in P&D for a while, but I would have to relocate to do that. That's one reason I lean towards running "wild" (I'll use your term :)). I could drive over and put my week (or more) in and then drive home. The hometime is no big deal, but I would prefer more than the OTR drivers get.

I'll be sure to ask him about how long it would take for me to be able to run linehaul or "wild". He seems to think they have a lot of trouble (here) getting drivers to run "wild" and it's pretty much open. I'll be sure to get clarification on this.

Thanks for the quick response!!

Arky

No problem!

If thats the case, then hell, you may be able to get hired right into a wild spot. I know at our new terminal out here, they are going to have to hire about 10 guys off the street for wild runs alone.. none of our current guys will run them

Linehaul - As I understand, it's a dedicated trip to the same place every day (or night).
FYI...most of your wild or linehaul runs will be at night. P&D picks up the freight during the day and it moves terminal to terminal at night. If I was single I would run wild. Like it was said before OD is real good at getting you home when you want.

Arky said:

Thanks, Arky

You get home in 6 days if you run wild, it's up to you to figure out the system.
Motels except Jacksonville,FL or Jersey City they still have bunkhouses.
It's generally terminal to terminal BUT lately I have spoken to some OD single drivers that have been picking up at customers.
You wouldn't be staying in the SE just because you are based in Memphis or LR. Running the system you would be where they need you. I'm based in the south and when I go out running the system I usually end up in the north east, very rarely going south. If running team wild you would probably go west.

Thanks for the help guys!

I assume that I would be expected to start back each Monday, regardless of whether I get home on Fri. or Sat. ?

Do the the "wild" drivers pull doubles? I'm assuming that I would be required to have the endorsements, but running wild, I would pull a 48' or 53', correct?

Thanks again guys, your a lot of help!

Arky said:

I assume that I would be expected to start back each Monday, regardless of whether I get home on Fri. or Sat. ?

Do the the "wild" drivers pull doubles? I'm assuming that I would be required to have the endorsements, but running wild, I would pull a 48' or 53', correct?

Don't be a stranger, the more you ask the more you will learn.

Welcome to Truckingboards and thanks for doing such a great job answering his questions

I usually only stay out 1 night a week. I can usually get a turn the rest of the week but Columbus is a good size terminal and there is a lot of freight. I have never had trouble getting back to COH. They ask me what I want to do and it is done. I am very pleased with OD so far.

Arky said:

Nope, you'd be pulling doubles.

Arky said:

Thanks, Arky

Welcome to the boards Arky and good luck with the new job.

I'm sure you'll be able to get most of your questions answered here.

How true

Dock and P+D overtime is after 60 hrs.Shop over 40 hrs. Most of the trucking companies used to have a special rate for office workers.After 60 hrs.their hourly wage dropped,after 70 it would drop again.They called it Chinese overtime.Amazing what a difference a few years make.

Thanks for the welcome!

I really appreciate the help too. I'll be checking into this farther over the next few days. So far, it looks to me like LTL is the place to be.

Thanks again, Arky

UnionTrucka said:
overtime after 60 !!!!! are you f*&%ing kidding me ? what a joke.

Yeah but think, you dont have to go through layoffs for the first 5 years... :shades:

Go ::shit:: in someone elses thread.

UnionTrucka said:
overtime after 60 !!!!! are you f*&%ing kidding me ? what a joke.

Most companies that pay O/T after 40 limit you as much as possible to 40 hr work weeks. So really this is a good thing there is little preasure on how many hours you work here and it is generaly easy to get a 50 hour work week in. So no it is not A f*&%ing joke.

sparky said:
Most companies that pay O/T after 40 limit you as much as possible to 40 hr work weeks. So really this is a good thing there is little preasure on how many hours you work here and it is generaly easy to get a 50 hour work week in. So no it is not A f*&%ing joke.
that not true