ODFL | OD questions

FlyByWire said:
Yeah but think, you dont have to go through layoffs for the first 5 years... :shades:

Go ::shit:: in someone elses thread.

listen, i work for New Penn. never have i've seen or heard them lay a guy off and then call him back. where im at if they lay you off for whatever reason, your gone and aint coming back ! and trust me, i will continue to ::shit:: in this thread because working 60 hrs. straight time is a complete joke.

sparky said:
Most companies that pay O/T after 40 limit you as much as possible to 40 hr work weeks. So really this is a good thing there is little preasure on how many hours you work here and it is generaly easy to get a 50 hour work week in. So no it is not A f*&%ing joke.

"limit you" you say ??? every YRC. & ABF terminals in my area do not limit their men on anything. not ment to knock you but it's the non-union jobs that tend to limit their men. CCX & FedEX Frt. is big for this. i talk to their guys all the time and they hate it. some guys smarten up and quit and the others just remain delusional and stay there. to each it's own.

Linehaul wild or schedule will pull doubles as a rule and an occasional 48 or 53. I have pulled a single 28 a 28 and a jiff just a jiff and bobtailed too.
Linehaul by the book is 6 days out for 48 hrs. off, some dispatchers will try to get you out after 34 hr. reset if they are busy, 10 days out gets you 72 hrs. off. Right now you could have as much off as you like as it's slooooow.

DOLLAR BILL said:
that not true

What should I have put many companies instead of most. I will bet that many companies that pay O/T after 40 attempt to limit O/T hrs. Is that correction good enough. I certainly do not think OD limits a drivers hrs if he wants to work.

Ok, as I understand this, linehaul is paid per mile? Does this rate change for weekend runs? I can't imagine it would which would mean the O/T question is irrelevant to me?

BTW, have LTL carriers found out about air ride yet? :razz: A friend has an old CF truck for parts...spring ride, hardly any gauges, no interior, I'm not even sure if it has a/c. Arky won't go without a/c...lol.

Arky

sparky said:
What should I have put many companies instead of most. I will bet that many companies that pay O/T after 40 attempt to limit O/T hrs. Is that correction good enough. I certainly do not think OD limits a drivers hrs if he wants to work.
YOU WOULD HAVE TO WORK ABOUT 16 or 17 hour of your stright time compare to there 10 hour of time an a half.so who works less for the same pay.so who better off who get to spend more time at home with the family.

Oh thats bright did not realize you were so smart...WOW OK I guess it would be better to work 40 hrs than 50 hrs you would not make any more per year. Glad you cleared that one up. If I need any more clarification I will ask you.

Back to OD questions.

Hopefully the hijacker has had his say.

I'm wandering what the trucks are like. I asked before the thread got hijacked, but must have been overlooked. Do the trucks have air ride these days? I'm assuming that they surely have a/c? What about cruise?

I would just like to get an idea of what I would be driving if I get on with OD. As a reminder, I'm wanting to drive "wild" in the system, not wild turn.

Thanks for the help from those that are helpful :):)

Arky

You'll be in good equipment... I guess it depends on what terminal you are at. At mine, before I went back to P&D, I was in a 2006, and I put most of its 40k miles on it... The oldest line tractor we have at our terminal is an 04.

You may not get a jake, but you should know how to drive without one anyway.

You'll have air ride, air seat, and cruise control. If you're lucky you'll get a truck that is 'turned up' a little.... we have a team truck that'll run 81 (confirmed) :gasp:

Thanks, I was told that the linehaul trucks are normally fairly new, but didn't ask about the other stuff. Air ride and cruise is enough to make the day a lot easier. I can live without the jakes, seems like a lot of places are outlawing 'em within city limits anyway.

You will be taken care of equipment wise... I wouldnt worry about that.

Just check over your jiff BEFORE you take it and set it in front of your rear box.... It sickens me how many people drop 'bad' jiff's (air hoses cut, missing, FLAT tires)... and DONT put red tags or stickers on them.. or AT LEAST tell someone about them... Its mostly teams, and we've noticed they all have their heads up their asses when they are at our terminal, at least. We just stay out of their way. HAHA!

I was reading on one of the other forums (on this site) where quite a few people are injured handling the jiffs (dollies?). Are they that dangerous?

What is the standard routine for building and breaking a set of doubles?

Arky said:
I was reading on one of the other forums (on this site) where quite a few people are injured handling the jiffs (dollies?). Are they that dangerous?

What is the standard routine for building and breaking a set of doubles?

Ive done some stupid things with Jiffs (got my hand caught between the 'eye' on the jiff, and the pintle hook... OUCH!!!. I also had one 'run away' from me (dont ask)

You'll learn all you need to know about building/breaking once you start on. A lot will depend on the terminal you are at... We buid ours at the doors... Being a wild driver, you wont have that luxury most of the time.

lol...I was thinking it looks like it would be a lot easier building them at the dock.

As it stands right now, they don't have any opening in Little Rock, possibly Memphis. I'm checking into it farther. If running wild, I don't mind traveling farther to whatever base terminal I need to go to. I'm guessing I could transfer to a different base terminal when an opening comes up.

I'll keep ya updated.

Thanks for the info again!,

Arky

FYI...most of your wild or linehaul runs will be at night. P&D picks up the freight during the day and it moves terminal to terminal at night.

What hours do the wild drivers normally run? 6 pm - 6 am? or something like that? I'm guessing that the starting times vary greatly due to workload and tm's ?

Arky said:
What hours do the wild drivers normally run? 6 pm - 6 am? or something like that? I'm guessing that the starting times vary greatly due to workload and tm's ?

*most* terminals wrap up all their outbound trailers at about 2100 or so (local time).... depending on the terminal, they may have relay freight sitting around (we seem to always have some), and can get you out on those pretty quick.

Hell, I'll bet you'll never SEE a TM except on very rare occaision... The way I would do it is this: When you get to the terminal, and you are going to lay down for 10.. get the phone number to the terminal, and the name of the guy doing linehaul dispatch at that terminal for the night... When you wake up, call in... "this is so and so from so and so, my 10 is up, do you have anything ready for me?"

This works better than just showing up.... Ive seen 4 wild guys sitting around at once when we couldnt get them out... they had left the hotel already, so checking back in wasnt an option.

thanks again, that's about all the questions I have for now. I'm sure I'll come up with more though...lol.

Thanks for the help!

Arky

Should be

See the previous posts ?Thats what this forum should be about.Helping each other.Instead we spend too much time trying to defend who we work for.

JIM BOB said:
See the previous posts ?Thats what this forum should be about.Helping each other.Instead we spend too much time trying to defend who we work for.

I agree... I do my fair share of *****ing on here.... But overall Im happy where I'm at.. or I would have made a change by now.