ABF | OD vs ABF U-Pack

flaswampfox

TB Lurker
Credits
If it is not bad enough we have to compete with their cost structure and sub standard pay, now they are coming after our Upack business. They have alot of money to make mistakes to get it going because they have deep pockets. lets blow them out of the water and show them they can't compete with our Upack. This is an important tool to our survival.:order:

All this says to me is OD can't come up with any other way to grow their business. They take from their employees. No overtime, Below standard benefits. So some of you may see this as a threat but I see it as OD showing they have topped out in the normal freight lanes. Their sales people have been known to follow ABF sales people around to see where we do business. They have good drivers but they really lack in their lower to middle management.Again you get what you pay for. As you can see they have no problem paying themselves while the workers earn much less.

Earl E. Congdon
Executive Chairman and Chairman of Executive Committee, Old Dominion Freight Line Inc.

Age 80
Total Calculated Compensation This person is connected to 8 board members in 1 different organizations across 1 different industries.
$1,957,146

David S. Congdon
Chief Executive Officer, President, Director and Member of Executive Committee, Old Dominion Freight Line Inc.

Age 54
Total Calculated Compensation This person is connected to 8 board members in 1 different organizations across 1 different industries.

$1,981,283

John Congdon
Vice Chairman of Board, Senior Vice President and Member of Executive Committee, Old Dominion Freight Line Inc.

Age 78
Total Calculated Compensation This person is connected to 9 board members in 2 different organizations across 2 different industries.
$581,989
YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

Organize them !!!!

As an OD employee i question this answer as opposed to the first post. OD's cost structure as you put it apparently works to make the company profit. If you are going to talk about pay scale etc. I work here willingly and am completely aware of the differences between the union/non-union etc. I also agree OD will waste alot of cash trying to match or even come close to what ABF already has and does well. Just another headache for a corporate manager to worry about. Competition is always a good thing, it makes all of us try harder don't you think.

They can pay themself all they want..UMM!!!They own the damm company..I enjoy working for the Congdon Family because they treat us like family not just a number.The revenue's speak for themelf.I believe you need to worry about ABF & there problem's instead of the other's.

They can pay themself all they want..UMM!!!They own the damm company..I enjoy working for the Congdon Family because they treat us like family not just a number.The revenue's speak for themelf.I believe you need to worry about ABF & there problem's instead of the other's.
If your happy with no overtime, paying for your benifits & no pension i would be looking for a new family. I dident mention anything about wage beacuse i dont know what it is but i do know its below abf scale & i dident mention sick/personal days or vacation time beacuse i have no clue what you get.

I enjoy working for the Congdon Family because they treat us like family not just a number.The revenue's speak for themelf.
I would think that being treated like family is great if you happen to be fairly new in the company. What about the higher paid senior employees who are let go at your company under economic terminations? At least those union workers at ABF are laid off in seniority order and not fired.

I will stop this right now.Yes,I'm a visitor to this forum.I an very aware of the pay scales between union&non union.I make my choice of you I work for&if I want to **** away my money for the less pay then that is my business.But,my problem of where this topic started is that you are bashing another company on there business practices&how much money they make.Has a OD member we do not bash other trucking company's.There's no need to.We all need to worry about our on employer's&how we can make it a better place to work.Seem's like to me there are alot of angry people who just love to bash when a company is doing well.
I would think that being treated like family is great if you happen to be fairly new in the company. What about the higher paid senior employees who are let go at your company under economic terminations? At least those union workers at ABF are laid off in seniority order and not fired.

Thank's,But, no ThankYou.I'm happy to give my money back to the Congdon's.
If your happy with no overtime, paying for your benifits & no pension i would be looking for a new family. I dident mention anything about wage beacuse i dont know what it is but i do know its below abf scale & i dident mention sick/personal days or vacation time beacuse i have no clue what you get.

I don't work for OD or ABF (yet, hopefully) but to be fair I have to say this. I have tried to get on with OD in the past and they do OK on the pay scale. They make more than we do here @ Con-job and although they don't get o/t until 60 (we get it down here in the South after 50 @ Con-way, which is another sore subject w/ me since the guys up north that have more union presence around them get o/t after 8), they make about 1.50 more an hour than I do right now. They've gotten several raises in the past few years where I have not. Everyone I've talked to in the street that works for OD seems to be quite happy with what they get and how they're treated. I guess the Congdon's must be doing something right.

I will stop this right now.Yes,I'm a visitor to this forum.I an very aware of the pay scales between union&non union.I make my choice of you I work for&if I want to **** away my money for the less pay then that is my business.But,my problem of where this topic started is that you are bashing another company on there business practices&how much money they make.Has a OD member we do not bash other trucking company's.There's no need to.We all need to worry about our on employer's&how we can make it a better place to work.Seem's like to me there are alot of angry people who just love to bash when a company is doing well.

I am also a visitor to this forum and did not intend to bash anyone. I was simply trying to respond to your comment about being treated by the company like family. I just feel that having seniority is better than being family.

I don't work for OD or ABF (yet, hopefully) but to be fair I have to say this. I have tried to get on with OD in the past and they do OK on the pay scale. They make more than we do here @ Con-job and although they don't get o/t until 60 (we get it down here in the South after 50 @ Con-way, which is another sore subject w/ me since the guys up north that have more union presence around them get o/t after 8), they make about 1.50 more an hour than I do right now. They've gotten several raises in the past few years where I have not. Everyone I've talked to in the street that works for OD seems to be quite happy with what they get and how they're treated. I guess the Congdon's must be doing something right.

So who do you want to work for? Seems like your talking OD up. If that's the case you will have to work an extra 10 hours to get o.t

Last edited by a moderator: