ABF | OD vs ABF U-Pack

Don't think there will be a problem backing a trailer in a driveway. Do we think we're going to set the moving world a blaze. No. Just one more service that can help us maintain an industry leading 86 OR.
That is not really anything to brag about until your company pays the higher rate of pay and overtime after eight. And pays the same for your retirement as ABF. Now with that said if OD paid what ABF does per hour and overtime and pension what would their OR then be? Not a good thing for the drivers is it.
You see somebody is getting that money but it is not the drivers. NO industry leading means in all aspects. If we operate at 94 and you at 86 that is not a good thing for OD. But hey if you are happy that is all that counts. YOUR SITTING ON $3400.00 a month pension right now BROTHER ALWAYS!

That is not really anything to brag about until your company pays the higher rate of pay and overtime after eight. And pays the same for your retirement as ABF. Now with that said if OD paid what ABF does per hour and overtime and pension what would their OR then be? Not a good thing for the drivers is it.
You see somebody is getting that money but it is not the drivers. NO industry leading means in all aspects. If we operate at 94 and you at 86 that is not a good thing for OD. But hey if you are happy that is all that counts. YOUR SITTING ON $3400.00 a month pension right now BROTHER ALWAYS!

Leave poor little kenny alone! OD has put $9800 away for his retirement over the past 7 years. That's a whole .67 per hour. He's set!

I'm trying to be nice here Slim.First I was just letting the ABF member's no what OD was really doing,Second, Muler was pointing on someone else.Thirdly,Again you just can't leave thing's along.Trying be nice here.That topic need's to be left on the OD board.You know I'm happy with that so there is no need to ram it down my throat.Thank You..
Leave poor little kenny alone! OD has put $9800 away for his retirement over the past 7 years. That's a whole .67 per hour. He's set!

I dO not wish Kenneth any harm. I hope to some day call him a TEAMSTER BROTHER! I know to those of us that have earned a large pension from the luxury of being TEAMSTERS it is a good thing.
I hope some day all truck drivers can enjoy the rewards of their hard work. I am in my 34th year. I started young and have been lucky to have been a TEAMSTER the whole time. It has really allowed me to do more for my family than any non union truck driving job ever could have. That is why I always tell anyone that wants to listen the benefits of being a TEAMSTER.
It is a good situation to be able to know my family will be taken care of when I am no longer around. So if you are happy where you work congratulations. But if you are not, Just call and we TEAMSTERS WILL BE THERE! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

I dO not wish Kenneth any harm. I hope to some day call him a TEAMSTER BROTHER! I know to those of us that have earned a large pension from the luxury of being TEAMSTERS it is a good thing.
I hope some day all truck drivers can enjoy the rewards of their hard work. I am in my 34th year. I started young and have been lucky to have been a TEAMSTER the whole time. It has really allowed me to do more for my family than any non union truck driving job ever could have. That is why I always tell anyone that wants to listen the benefits of being a TEAMSTER.
It is a good situation to be able to know my family will be taken care of when I am no longer around. So if you are happy where you work congratulations. But if you are not, Just call and we TEAMSTERS WILL BE THERE! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

i dont think you will ever call him a teamster. read his posts. he's happy at the trailer park.

Thank's,But, no ThankYou.I'm happy to give my money back to the Congdon's.
Yeah, You sound extremely happy to me, just overjoyed actually! Good luck trying to break into the self-moving market. It requires customer service skill and driver professionalism that OD does not even come close to ABF with. Talked to an OD guy the other day about it, and he told me what they were and were not going to do for the customer, TM said he wasn't wrecking his operation for this moving business...Yeah, I'm real worried about OD competing with U-Pack. Send my regards to the Congdon's next time they have you over for the family BBQ!

Do not think this would go over to well over on the OD forum.
I'm trying to be nice here Slim.First I was just letting the ABF member's no what OD was really doing,Second, Muler was pointing on someone else.Thirdly,Again you just can't leave thing's along.Trying be nice here.That topic need's to be left on the OD board.You know I'm happy with that so there is no need to ram it down my throat.Thank You..

All OD is doing is selling the space used on a 28ft pup with a security divider put up.The trailer then is loaded out the rest of the way with freight.Trailer's are brought out&set at the curb side.No driveway drop's.We supply Ramp&hand truck.That's it.Customer set's everything up on the website.We del trailerThen when they are done we pick up.It is a charge daily for trailer if they are not ready to be pick'd up that day.Od really has nothing in it ..Od's shop's are building the ramp's..All they are doing again is selling the space on trailer.We have been doing this for year's for employee's for free&customer request.They just decided to start selling the service.Just thought I would share some fact's.Yes,Abf does have a better system.So there is no need to worry.OD is not going in the moving business full-time.
Yes, Kenneth, that's exactly what ABF told us drivers when they started U-Pack 20 years ago. Rent space. No driveway back-ups. Curbside only. Little involvement with customers. Then reality set in and both drivers and management realized that when dealing with John Q. Public all bets are off as far as what they are telling you and what is actually the situation. Many people pick the lowball rate when they're moving for the first time. Many people have no clue about mere mechanics and logistics of what it takes to move their precious personal posessions. Your management will have to learn extreme patience, both with the drivers working the situation and the "clueless" loading the furniture. You'll see. Print this out and put it in your wallet. Check back after you do a few.

O'h agree 100%.What I worry about is someone falling out of the trailer.I haven't had one yet.Heard of only one the past month.They are telling us that the customer is responsible for everything they do.We do not help.The only thing we do when we pick it up is put the divider in &that is it.But,yes I can see it now."Driver,would you please do this"..we all know how that one go's.lol.."Stay Safe"
Yes, Kenneth, that's exactly what ABF told us drivers when they started U-Pack 20 years ago. Rent space. No driveway back-ups. Curbside only. Little involvement with customers. Then reality set in and both drivers and management realized that when dealing with John Q. Public all bets are off as far as what they are telling you and what is actually the situation. Many people pick the lowball rate when they're moving for the first time. Many people have no clue about mere mechanics and logistics of what it takes to move their precious personal posessions. Your management will have to learn extreme patience, both with the drivers working the situation and the "clueless" loading the furniture. You'll see. Print this out and put it in your wallet. Check back after you do a few.

ABF driver says, "Yes, Mam, I think I can do that for you. Boss says put it on the curb, but I don't I any reason I can't get it down the drive for you! Those trees seem high enough. Oh, yes Mam, ABF employs Teamster drivers, we are allowed to go the extra mile for the customer without fear of being fired! Since, the customer is ULTIMATELY the revenue provider!

OD drivers says, "Sorry Mam, I would get fired if my boss found out I put it in the driveway" She calls OD supervisor, "Mam, my driver is on a tight schedule and is, in fact, already behind, trying to drop you this trailer. He will drop it on the curb, or he will leave with the trailer. There will be additional charges to have it returned, TO THE CURB.

Who you want to use for your self-move?

ABF driver says, "Yes, Mam, I think I can do that for you. Boss says put it on the curb, but I don't I any reason I can't get it down the drive for you! Those trees seem high enough. Oh, yes Mam, ABF employs Teamster drivers, we are allowed to go the extra mile for the customer without fear of being fired! Since, the customer is ULTIMATELY the revenue provider!

OD drivers says, "Sorry Mam, I would get fired if my boss found out I put it in the driveway" She calls OD supervisor, "Mam, my driver is on a tight schedule and is, in fact, already behind, trying to drop you this trailer. He will drop it on the curb, or he will leave with the trailer. There will be additional charges to have it returned, TO THE CURB.

Who you want to use for your self-move?

I can picture that too THATS JUST FUNNY. but more like " I must do what my terminal manager instructs me to do . I damage your driveway , I get fired , he tells me to do it , different story.

My guy says use the common sense approach. He assumes I have a brain and the experience to exceed the customer's expectations. Give me 10 or 15 mins. to size up the situation with the customer and I will 99% of the time make them happy. We have all dealt with that 1%...just have to turn them over to customer service! I have safely put some U-Packs where no truck has gone before, but I know my limits and will tell the customer so, if necessary. But, moving is stressful enough, so I appreciate being able to accommodate as much as reasonably possible.

I hope OD does not send there driver's out at midnight like ABF does to pick up u-packs, ABF does it all the time.

My guy says use the common sense approach. He assumes I have a brain and the experience to exceed the customer's expectations. Give me 10 or 15 mins. to size up the situation with the customer and I will 99% of the time make them happy. We have all dealt with that 1%...just have to turn them over to customer service! I have safely put some U-Packs where no truck has gone before, but I know my limits and will tell the customer so, if necessary. But, moving is stressful enough, so I appreciate being able to accommodate as much as reasonably possible.
Thats what I always tell them. Moving is stressful enough and I do my best not to add to it.

I hope OD does not send there driver's out at midnight like ABF does to pick up u-packs, ABF does it all the time.
Midnight, that dont happen for one its unsafe & two most towns have laws against noise after a certain hour....

I'm not lying, look were it it's not easy to look. it get worse at some terminals. That's all I will say.