OD

Discussion in 'Saia' started by runawaytrain, Oct 29, 2015.

1. runawaytrain

runawaytrain Wear their scorn with pride.

http://www.odfl.com/docs/cms/sec/Q32015PressRelease.pdf You can't tell me that we can't get some of this business. Maybe we need to recruit some of OD's Freight Reps. From an 83 operation ratio in 2014 .... To 82.1 in 2015 .... On weaker freight volumes. This is how it's done. And we can do it too. Let's all step up our game. Especially the Sales Reps.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. bigbuck

bigbuck Active Member

Words of wisdom. And numbers don't lie.

runawaytrain likes this.
  3. gearraker

gearraker Active Member

Some day we will

runawaytrain likes this.
  4. gearraker

gearraker Active Member

Yrc numbers came out today i thought..cant find them though

5. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Last, bag standing

After close of markets today so the price does not tank until Friday .

6. gearraker

gearraker Active Member

Aww ok..anybody elses numbers come out today

7. White

White Well-Known Member

Good post on YRC's forum.

8. gearraker

gearraker Active Member

No

9. White

White Well-Known Member

Informative. Not positive.

10. gearraker

gearraker Active Member

Yrc regional..did better then us

11. White

White Well-Known Member

YRC down 9.1% year over year, UPSF -5.2, Saia -4.2. is what I read. And I get a little more bummed with every post. You win. Be safe driver.

12. runawaytrain

Your only as good as the people you have working for you. OD management is something SAIA should emulate. We just need to find the right people to put into key positions. We will be another OD. It just takes time to fine tune our machine. We are on that path and moving in the right direction. Having a few growing pains but we will overcome that in time. I know it. I believe it. I will stay forever positive. I will always do my part and hope that the others stay positive as well. The secret of success is consistency of purpose. If we put the right man or woman in the right place at the right time doing the right thing in the right way success will be certain.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  13. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Well-Known Member

I told my SCM (he's ex fedex) 2 months ago that we were recruiting from the wrong company

14. runawaytrain

In all fairness .... It's hard to get OD's people. Especially Sales Reps. They have a great product with very few damages. Much of our problems are damages. A Sales Rep. can go out and promise the world but if we tear his product up we will most likely lose his business (especially at first) and lose credibility. Most customers will understand late freight but they are less tolerate of damages.That's why it's so important to load our trailers tight. Shifting freight causes damages. Dragging long freight without extensions on the lifts destroys pallets resulting in damages. Stacking freight that clearly states no stacking increases cube but at what cost. Any revenue generated will be lost in claims. We need a refresher course in FREIGHT 101 ... Getting back to the basics of how to load a proper trailer.

15. PistonRing83

PistonRing83 Well-Known Member

Saia isn't in any position to compare itself to OD yet. We're sitting in the position where OD was about 10-12 years ago when they were buying up companies and trying to expand service area. We need to get our infrastructure up to par before we can hope to be like OD. The terminals up here in the northern half of the country are so spread out that they have HUGE coverage areas and can't handle more freight. There's guys at my terminal that run 400 miles a day and can barely get their current stuff done, let alone take on any new business. Our sales rep gets very frustrated because every time he gets new business, we can't handle it.

You can't really compare the operating ratios between these two companies, either. OD doesn't pay their hourly guys ANY overtime and their drivers pay a much higher insurance premium than we do. Neither of those are things I'd like to see Saia adopt.

16. runningfor48

runningfor48 Here for Entertainment

OT after 60...we don't ever see it. Insurance increased 2.50 for 2016. If employee only covered no cost to driver.

freightman68 and conartist like this.
  17. Freightsup

Freightsup Active Member

I work for OD and I often research what the industry is doing. I have to say I admire where Saia is going, and feel like in time, Saia will be one of the next big players. I agree with some of the posts where you say that outside management causes problems however, because I've even seen it here. I mean, most of us have worked at other companies, but I've seen where we bring guys in from other companies and they are so fixsated on what they did at their last company that they can't/won't adapt to our ways. I feel like that's where our success lies, our owners run the company and are consistent with decisions and policies. One other thing is we don't over expand. We wait until we are positive that there is a need for expansion. Well, I've rambled enough. I look forward to seeing you guys being the next big thing. If your posts are indicative of the type of people you folks employee I think you'll be fine.

18. nobodysboy

nobodysboy here to inform not to conform.

come on....we have all worked for virtually every company in the dfw area. we are all the same. same people. same companies. we feed on each other, have the same problems, make the same mistakes, and lose the same accounts. OD feeds on priority customers whom they give top shelf service to. Your company (SAIA) feeds on bulk customers who expect the same damage and poor service the others give. I would give certain companies lower grades on things such as positive interaction with employees such as R+L and SMT and maybe Central Transport. these particular companies have a tendency to treat long term employees with less respect than new hires. Most of the brand new people at R+L are driving brand new peterbuilt tractors and running cake routes while long term hard workers are bearing the brunt of the crud. thus drivers care less about doing the job and it shows in the results. I realize R+L has hired some real morons to run the terminal in Dallas and from what I have heard many of the drivers are doing more to do less. nothing changes and everything stays the same. Don't pat yourself on the back cuz you like to post and make yourself feel good. You are just another nobody. get it Train?

longshore likes this.
  19. runawaytrain

I just prefer to stay positive. It's a choice. If staying positive means I'm patting myself on the back then so be it. Being negative about my job or anything in life for that matter never serves a constructive purpose. Maybe I'm just another number or just another nobody as you put it. But my positive attitude sets me apart from you. And helps me be able to look in the mirror and be happy with what I see. Like I've said many times on here before. I accept life unconditionally. Life holds so much. So much to be happy about always. Many people ask for happiness on condition. Happiness can be felt only if you don't set conditions. I post to make myself feel good? My job has very little to do with me feeling good.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  20. runawaytrain

You sound strangely familiar .... BTW. Everybody is "somebody's boy" You of all people should know that.:lmao::1036316054:

renegaderider likes this.