OD

Discussion in 'Saia' started by runawaytrain, Oct 29, 2015.

1. nobodysboy

nobodysboy here to inform not to conform.

since you think you know me then you know I'm nobodies boy. ;)

2. nobodysboy

[​IMG]
    hehehe...choo choo

3. runawaytrain

runawaytrain Wear their scorn with pride.

I love you brother. You are nobody's boy. Except maybe .... Your Mother.

renegaderider likes this.
  4. nobodysboy

always positive? never complain? check that mirror again. that last sentence probably says more than the paragraph does.

5. runawaytrain

Well, I can't say I'm always positive and never complain because that would make me perfect. But I can say I'm very grateful for the things I have and for the most part have an upbeat attitude. I do backslide from time to time but who doesn't ..... YOU have often heard me say that in life there are no guarantees .... Not with your job ... Not with your health ... That's why I try to live by this saying ...I have no yesterdays >>Time took them away>>Tomorrow may not be>>But I have today.

uprrmn likes this.
  6. Crazy Trucker

Crazy Trucker Clown Math Expert

Maybe Saia just needs to worry about keeping their drivers working before they jump in the big ocean.

Lobcity likes this.
  7. runawaytrain

The operation ratio had to absorb the 1.19 raise we just got that put us to 24.66 ... The economy has took a hit and something had to give. We will be OK. Everyone will be laying off before this is over. I heard Estes has laid off a few and cut back hours.

8. renegaderider

renegaderider Active Member

Yeah I agree the raise we got effected sum of our numbers but on the flip side gas prices has been down for a decent while now and that should have helped the company over all sum too.

9. renegaderider

renegaderider Active Member

But I'm with u Saia will be OK. They didn't get this far on luck

runawaytrain likes this.
  10. MachOne

MachOne Member

Not really. We get a higher rate when fuel prices are up bits much more then the cost of the fuel increase because all customers, save for the Walmart Starbucks type, have to pay. We lose on this deal.

11. runawaytrain

And we have lost a lot of oil and gas business due to lay offs in that industry. They just aren't shipping like they use to.

12. bigbuck

bigbuck Active Member

Fuel price is a non factor. Depending on your location, it's about $1 per gallon cheaper compared to this time last year

13. Virginia Tech

Virginia Tech Active Member

You are incorrect mam...... every company has said that decreased fuel surcharge has resulted in a decrease in revenue.

If fuel cost go up .05 the company charges .06 to the shipper.

And if fsc is based on 6mpg what happens when you get your fleet up to 6.5mpg? Wouldn't that gain in fuel mileage result in money earned by the fuel surcharge.

14. bigbuck

bigbuck Active Member

Shouldn't be "earning" money on fuel anyway. Should be just covering the price of fuel, not posting a profit

15. Virginia Tech

Virginia Tech Active Member

That's not reality. The only companies that didn't make money off fsc the last 10 years are companies that have went out of business.

runawaytrain likes this.
  16. MachOne

MachOne Member

Why is that? Why not make money on every aspect? Also, the mean fuel price doesn't take into account the average price based on where and how much is purchased. It's a risk that the company has to negotiate in their favor, especially with the larger customers exempt from it.

17. bigbuck

bigbuck Active Member

Actually, fuel price averages are posted by the department of energy based on several regions throughout the country. So, this would make it feasible for the accounting department to adjust the fuel surcharge based on region. Also, keep in mind that the vast majority of the fuel Saia purchases is at wholesale, or just above wholesale, and not retail. So the company is already making money on fuel based on that fact alone, because fuel surcharge is based in retail price. Company makes good bank on fuel surcharge either way.