SAIA | OD

Yaao9Fq.jpg

hehehe...choo choo

I just prefer to stay positive. It's a choice. If staying positive means I'm patting myself on the back then so be it. Being negative about my job or anything in life for that matter never serves a constructive purpose. Maybe I'm just another number or just another nobody as you put it. But my positive attitude sets me apart from you. And helps me be able to look in the mirror and be happy with what I see. Like I've said many times on here before. I accept life unconditionally. Life holds so much. So much to be happy about always. Many people ask for happiness on condition. Happiness can be felt only if you don't set conditions. I post to make myself feel good? My job has very little to do with me feeling good.

always positive? never complain? check that mirror again. that last sentence probably says more than the paragraph does.

always positive? never complain? check that mirror again. that last sentence probably says more than the paragraph does.
Well, I can't say I'm always positive and never complain because that would make me perfect. But I can say I'm very grateful for the things I have and for the most part have an upbeat attitude. I do backslide from time to time but who doesn't ..... YOU have often heard me say that in life there are no guarantees .... Not with your job ... Not with your health ... That's why I try to live by this saying ...I have no yesterdays >>Time took them away>>Tomorrow may not be>>But I have today.

http://www.odfl.com/docs/cms/sec/Q32015PressRelease.pdf You can't tell me that we can't get some of this business. Maybe we need to recruit some of OD's Freight Reps. From an 83 operation ratio in 2014 .... To 82.1 in 2015 .... On weaker freight volumes. This is how it's done. And we can do it too. Let's all step up our game. Especially the Sales Reps.

Maybe Saia just needs to worry about keeping their drivers working before they jump in the big ocean.

The operation ratio had to absorb the 1.19 raise we just got that put us to 24.66 ... The economy has took a hit and something had to give. We will be OK. Everyone will be laying off before this is over. I heard Estes has laid off a few and cut back hours.

The operation ratio had to absorb the 1.19 raise we just got that put us to 24.66 ... The economy has took a hit and something had to give. We will be OK. Everyone will be laying off before this is over. I heard Estes has laid off a few and cut back hours.
Yeah I agree the raise we got effected sum of our numbers but on the flip side gas prices has been down for a decent while now and that should have helped the company over all sum too.

Yeah I agree the raise we got effected sum of our numbers but on the flip side gas prices has been down for a decent while now and that should have helped the company over all sum too.
Not really. We get a higher rate when fuel prices are up bits much more then the cost of the fuel increase because all customers, save for the Walmart Starbucks type, have to pay. We lose on this deal.

Not really. We get a higher rate when fuel prices are up bits much more then the cost of the fuel increase because all customers, save for the Walmart Starbucks type, have to pay. We lose on this deal.
And we have lost a lot of oil and gas business due to lay offs in that industry. They just aren't shipping like they use to.

Fuel price is a non factor. Depending on your location, it's about $1 per gallon cheaper compared to this time last year

Fuel price is a non factor. Depending on your location, it's about $1 per gallon cheaper compared to this time last year

You are incorrect mam...... every company has said that decreased fuel surcharge has resulted in a decrease in revenue.

If fuel cost go up .05 the company charges .06 to the shipper.

And if fsc is based on 6mpg what happens when you get your fleet up to 6.5mpg? Wouldn't that gain in fuel mileage result in money earned by the fuel surcharge.

Shouldn't be "earning" money on fuel anyway. Should be just covering the price of fuel, not posting a profit

Shouldn't be "earning" money on fuel anyway. Should be just covering the price of fuel, not posting a profit
Why is that? Why not make money on every aspect? Also, the mean fuel price doesn't take into account the average price based on where and how much is purchased. It's a risk that the company has to negotiate in their favor, especially with the larger customers exempt from it.

Actually, fuel price averages are posted by the department of energy based on several regions throughout the country. So, this would make it feasible for the accounting department to adjust the fuel surcharge based on region. Also, keep in mind that the vast majority of the fuel Saia purchases is at wholesale, or just above wholesale, and not retail. So the company is already making money on fuel based on that fact alone, because fuel surcharge is based in retail price. Company makes good bank on fuel surcharge either way.