ODFL | ODFL profits from LTL demand

HillBilly Frog

TB Veteran
Credits
ODFL profits from LTL demand

May 5, 2006 11:18 AM
From Fleet Owner

A bigger network and strong demand helped fuel profits for Thomasville, NC-based LTL carrier Old Dominion Freight Line (ODFL) in the first quarter, with net income increasing 39.4% to $13 million on 23.2% higher revenues $291.6 million compared to the same period last year.

“These results are primarily due to the continued expansion of market share within our existing service center network, even as we continued the steady expansion of our geographic footprint,” said Earl Congdon, ODFL chairman & CEO

READ MORE

I work in the cleveland terminal and all the salesman hit the road hard everyday. They are all happy the way this company is going. Cleveland is supposed to split this year with a new Canton teminal. It seems things have been going in the right direction for the 3 years I've been here. The stock is getting up to where it split. Hope it splits again. My personal opinion is that it is still a family operation, instead of a board of directors to screw things up. It seems to me the Congdons really want the best for this company.

Good People

The Congdons are good people.I've seen acts of generosity many times toward employees and communities.But don't mistake that for softness.They didn't get where they are by being soft.

Old Dominion Freight Line (ODFL)
Call it the little trucking company that delivers. While many trucking companies have engaged in dealmaking to expand their service territory, few have done it as seamlessly as Old Dominion: The Thomasville (N.C.) company is a "less than truckload" carrier, meaning it's willing to handle small shipments for customers. And it now offers next-day and second-day service across its integrated network, which covers 37 states and takes in parts of another nine. What's more, the company has invested in the technology that allows its customers to track the status of their shipments in real-time, just like the major carriers. The payoff: Profits have risen an average 43% over the past three years, to $53.5 million. Meantime, sales have grown an average 23% annually, to $1.06 billion, in 2005. Investors have profited too, as Old Dominion's shares have more than tripled since 2003, to around $33.

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/hot_growth/2006/company/99.htm

sparky said:
Old Dominion Freight Line (ODFL)
Call it the little trucking company that delivers. While many trucking companies have engaged in dealmaking to expand their service territory, few have done it as seamlessly as Old Dominion: The Thomasville (N.C.) company is a "less than truckload" carrier, meaning it's willing to handle small shipments for customers. And it now offers next-day and second-day service across its integrated network, which covers 37 states and takes in parts of another nine. What's more, the company has invested in the technology that allows its customers to track the status of their shipments in real-time, just like the major carriers. The payoff: Profits have risen an average 43% over the past three years, to $53.5 million. Meantime, sales have grown an average 23% annually, to $1.06 billion, in 2005. Investors have profited too, as Old Dominion's shares have more than tripled since 2003, to around $33.

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/hot_growth/2006/company/99.htm
Man I Love this company!