ABF | ODFL to ABF

Yep. The one thing we still have over the other LTL's, our health insurance. Hope they didn't fall for the false promises by the TM , of a quick move up on the board due to ' anticipated large amount of senior drivers due to retire ' .

Top pay in the NE would be in the vicinity of $22.50-$23.00 per hour. Big 2% raise coming 7/1. Vacation is none for two years then one week for the next six (8 years seniority) then they'll get a second week. OT after 8 in a day or 40 paid for in a week is standard at ABF nationwide. OT for Sat varies. Doubletime for holidays I expect is nationwide as well. That no OT at OD would be make for a deal breaker for me but those guys don't seem to mind for some reason and I'd have to think pretty damn hard about ABF's vacation policy before I signed on here as a new hire.

Don't forget the security of having a union contract at ABF. Working for a non union company means you work at the pleasure of management. Economic terminations and reductions in force (RIFs) are not unheard of at some nons (including the 1 in this thread). But when business picks back up you may be lucky enough to be hired back starting over as a new employee.

When I Interviewed at ABF they told me they had 5 guys retiring in the next year. And they were hiring 5 or 6 guys so if I got on right away I would have 10 ppl below me in a year. To me the vacation was a big thing for me. The othet thing was not having a schedule and possibly working every weekend. Im a single dad so I would like to have a schedule.

My buddy just got hired on at UPSF and he seems pretty excited to be in the union. Idk what its like over there but at least he wont have to work weekends and hopefully he doesnt get laid off

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Pension? Bongee scheme if under 50. Numbers don't add up. My uncle had retired and dad a year away when CF closed shop. Not pretty when pension comes up short. Received average of $8,000 profit sharing yearly into 401k besides regular match. I HAVE control of MY RETIREMENT. Not some pension stealing union boss. Was all that money recovered for the 70's-80's, guess not. Hourly wage. If both work 50hrs. ABF pays approx. $15 more. Hourly wage is approx. $2 per hour more at OD. Medical benefits are very great at ABF, until next contract, seen what has been happening to other unions due to union supported Obamacare. Remember waivers expire. Heck, every outfit without a crony/communist support waiver might just ditch insurance all together and pay penalty. Just rather be with outfit on way up, then treading water or in reduction mode. ABF was great when I pulled for them in early 90's, union sucked, yet never was one to work at minimum output or do the least amount to get by. Actually I was laid off in 09, when myself and others came back/rehired, got full rate and benefits. Just new hired on date. So get the facts straight if making comment. Only if employee leaves and later chooses to rehire is started out as a new hire. 2 weeks vac after 1 year, 3 weeks after 5, plus personal days that start at 2 after 1st year. Actually make more on a Vac/Personal or holiday than regular run. Way it's figured. Everyone makes choices on beliefs and opportunity, long as choice is available, all is good. Those afraid of choice or able to stepping up to be best, get upset. Do understand that, just sad.

Pension? Bongee scheme if under 50. Numbers don't add up. My uncle had retired and dad a year away when CF closed shop. Not pretty when pension comes up short. Received average of $8,000 profit sharing yearly into 401k besides regular match. I HAVE control of MY RETIREMENT. Not some pension stealing union boss. Was all that money recovered for the 70's-80's, guess not. Hourly wage. If both work 50hrs. ABF pays approx. $15 more. Hourly wage is approx. $2 per hour more at OD. Medical benefits are very great at ABF, until next contract, seen what has been happening to other unions due to union supported Obamacare. Remember waivers expire. Heck, every outfit without a crony/communist support waiver might just ditch insurance all together and pay penalty. Just rather be with outfit on way up, then treading water or in reduction mode. ABF was great when I pulled for them in early 90's, union sucked, yet never was one to work at minimum output or do the least amount to get by. Actually I was laid off in 09, when myself and others came back/rehired, got full rate and benefits. Just new hired on date. So get the facts straight if making comment. Only if employee leaves and later chooses to rehire is started out as a new hire. 2 weeks vac after 1 year, 3 weeks after 5, plus personal days that start at 2 after 1st year. Actually make more on a Vac/Personal or holiday than regular run. Way it's figured. Everyone makes choices on beliefs and opportunity, long as choice is available, all is good. Those afraid of choice or able to stepping up to be best, get upset. Do understand that, just sad.

Ignorance is bliss. Thats why OD drivers are so blissful

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forum Runner

Actually, I stated, ABF was fine, union mentality sucked. Everyone has their priorities. I have run for both, if going to union shop and mentality that goes with it suits a driver that's fine. I wasn't suited for the "Whiner" and "Just enuff to get by" mentality of union shop, some are, I wasn't. 80% of my terminals drivers were union, ABF/Yellow etc. ex-union have been here since 05 when OD took over, never lost an OD driver here due to a union shop hiring, yet sure get a lot of union guys asking for applications. We have tripled our location in 8 years, ABF and Yellow closed their terminals. Yep, great to be ignorant, just NOT TO THE FACTS.

I'm not understanding your post. I assume you are referring in part to my post.
So get the facts straight if making comment
If so I'm interested in what facts you have to dispute my comments? Your being recalled after layoff has nothing to do with those employees economically terminated and riffed. Are you claiming as fact that in the OD system economic terminations or rifs are not used without regard to seniority? ? Are you claiming that those rehired didn't have to start over as new employees at entry level rates?

I never worked for OD and I only offer my opinion. But since you call for facts how about proving some to support your post.
Pension? Bongee scheme if under 50
Not some pension stealing union boss

Old Dominion Vice President of Safety and Personnel Brian Stoddard testified that it was standard operating procedure to use “full-time seniority dates in making decisions of job elimination and economic cutbacks.” Terminating the employee with the least full-time experience, however, was not a written policy and even if this verbal policy was sufficient to establish a bona fide layoff system, the Kersten court found that Old Dominion presented no evidence of a recall system.

In what appeared to be the most damaging testimony, Stoddard said that “if a job cut had to be done, we terminate. We don’t lay off. We don’t leave that possibility that they may come back. They’re terminated.
http://prod-admin1.tmg.atex.cniweb.net:8080/preview/www/2.1042/2.1048/1.102006

I remembered this old post of yours when they were running me off the OD form for asking about rifs.
You use the term rehire, instead of call back from layoff, a few times in your return to OD. It appears that you were fortunate to have been rehired at full pay. Is that a written company policy or is it at management's discretion?

Well, I was a rehire after 09 slow down. 4 months off. Basically it was lowest seniority at location. Wild/Extra drivers. Not by company or region. Majority was at outer locations. Most hubs not effected, except for change of run assignments. Had been with OD 3 years at layoff. Next senior driver not layed off had 5+ years. When brought back had to go through full rehire procedure. Was known that would operate out of a hub location. Offered and accepted a hub location, yet right away offered position at numerous locations ounce word got out that I was back. Not a bitcher or moaner, Was given seniority back, yet as all transfers, was placed at bottom at new location. Didn't matter since I stayed wild/systems driver. Scheduled run was not my thing. Got top pay and insurance from day 1, had to start over on vacation/personal days from Date of rehire. After 2 years was asked to transfer to my location now, original layoff location. I run a schedule now. Been driving 27 years, 3.5 million accident free. Pulled about every form of trailer. Been independent, union (ABF), and O/O. Best job I have ever had. I do my job, don't get hassled. Every driver would like a few changes, yet get treated better here, than I could treat myself when I operated my own. See how the company treats a long term ill driver or a family emergency. Ownership does care about the individual in a crisis.

This post looks to me as if you were terminated (riffed) and not laid off. Look if I'm wrong I'll admit it. But this is the 3rd or 4th time I've asked the question. But instead of answers I only get attacked.

I do like to know what goes on at other companies and I am not an ABF cheerleader however, I do like to have facts and figures to help me see the differences. For starters at ABF we have no health care premium copays and I would like to know what an ODFL worker ponies up on a weekly basis. Divide that number by 40 and you can reduce your hourly pay by that amount. If ODFL pays $2/hr more that comes to $80 per week more on a 40 hour week. 10 hours of OT would net an ABF worker about $90 more than his straight time counterpart at ODFL so you're pretty close on that. $8000 per year in profit sharing + matching 401K? Not bad. Do all drivers qualify for that?

Ignorance is bliss. Thats why OD drivers are so blissful

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forum Runner

What did OD ever do to you man? Yeesh. You dont like the company fine, but to unjustifiably bash them in every forum/post? So they dont pay OT, the drivers who choose to work under those conditions, that it their prerogative. You choose the work for Holland, roger that.

If an OD driver or dock worker wishes to go to ABF and work. That is cool . We pretty much do the same thing . No big deal . we go where we go. the idea is to be happy. you keep looking til you find what you want.

over the last couple of weeks we lost drivers to abf…why would they do such a thing:17::17:
This thread was started on the ABF forum with a simple question. "Why would they do such a thing"? My guess would be that bknodfl is asking for opinions from ABF and pro union posters or else he would have started the thread on the ODFL forum. But over there outside opinions are not welcome and we are attacked and chased off.

So I for one gave my opinion to the thread topic. And surprise surprise an OD apologist comes on and posts his opinions as to what is bad about ABF. There is nothing wrong with him doing so and the mod didn't run him off. But the OD apologist wants facts. How can we provide facts as to why people are leaving ODFL for ABF?

What did OD ever do to you man? Yeesh. You dont like the company fine, but to unjustifiably bash them in every forum/post? So they dont pay OT, the drivers who choose to work under those conditions, that it their prerogative. You choose the work for Holland, roger that.

I'm not here to defend yrc-atm, he's capable of doing that himself. But his post was in response to the ignorant post by Ruffian 72.

ig·no·rant [ig-ner-uhnt] Show IPA

adjective

1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.

2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.

3. uninformed; unaware.

4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

I'm not claiming he's an ignorant man so #1 doesn't apply. But his post fits the other 3 definitions of ignorant.

He claims pension is a bongee(???) scheme and they come up short. He claims union boss steals pension. Claims he was laid off but Old Dominion Vice President of Safety and Personnel Brian Stoddard testified under oath that OD doesn't lay off they terminate..... His post wants the facts straight. But he doesn't provide any facts to support his ignorant claims.

Last edited by a moderator:
And it is an interesting question. I had not heard of any kind of exodus from ODFL before let alone one over to ABF. The only reason I wouldn't would be the vacation policy. The union contract, holidays, holiday pay, health insurance and pension are five good reasons to make the change. And there may be a few others I can't think of right now.

If ODFL pays $2/hr more that comes to $80 per week more on a 40 hour week. 10 hours of OT would net an ABF worker about $90 more than his straight time counterpart at ODFL so you're pretty close on that.

ABF

$23 x 40 hours = $920
Plus OT.
$34.50 x 10 hours= $345

Gross Total for 50 hours= $1265

Average Hourly Rate is $25.30

-------------------------------- -------------- -----------

Old Dominion

$25 x 50 hours= $1250

Gross Hours for 50= $1250

Average Hourly Rate is $25
------------------ -------------- -------------- ----------
ABF. / Old Dominion
$1265 - $1250= $15

Conclusion: ABF over 50 hours with O.T. only makes $0.30 more an hour than Old Dominion.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk