SAIA | off duty time

Company policy recommends using between 4th & 6th hour at a terminal.
I know that. When I work 13-14hrs during 1 day and I take break at my 4th hour then Vnomics tells me to take break again before next 8hrs. So I ended up with 3 breaks. So is it all right?

Take you break whenever you off duty....waiting for you meet person....waiting on trailers. I usually take my break between the hour 7 & 8, that way I good for the rest of the duty cycle, if I have to work 14 hours....usually I work 10.5 to 11.5 hours. I guess I should ask are you P&D or Linehaul?

Take you break whenever you off duty....waiting for you meet person....waiting on trailers. I usually take my break between the hour 7 & 8, that way I good for the rest of the duty cycle, if I have to work 14 hours....usually I work 10.5 to 11.5 hours. I guess I should ask are you P&D or Linehaul?
i do both but mainly p&d

You're taking your break too early if you work 13-14 hours a day and taking a break at the 4th hour on duty. Thats why the Vnomics clock counts down another 8 hours because the law says you have to take a break within 8 hours of being on duty. Taking it at the 4th hour puts you back on duty at 4 1/2 hours. You'll have worked 13 1/2 hours 8 hours from that which will force you to take another if you work that long. If you take one between 5 1/2 to 6 hours then you won't have to take a second break. If you're only working 8 to 10 hours a day then, taking one at the 4th is ok. And if you think your shift will be done within 8 hours then just skip the break if you can get off duty before the clock counts down to zero. I run LH and I've done that many times on quick runs and never had anyone question it.

You're taking your break too early if you work 13-14 hours a day and taking a break at the 4th hour on duty. Thats why the Vnomics clock counts down another 8 hours because the law says you have to take a break within 8 hours of being on duty. Taking it at the 4th hour puts you back on duty at 4 1/2 hours. You'll have worked 13 1/2 hours 8 hours from that which will force you to take another if you work that long. If you take one between 5 1/2 to 6 hours then you won't have to take a second break. If you're only working 8 to 10 hours a day then, taking one at the 4th is ok. And if you think your shift will be done within 8 hours then just skip the break if you can get off duty before the clock counts down to zero. I run LH and I've done that many times on quick runs and never had anyone question it.
Right now we have lots of work in city so I barely ever do LH since... March.
Anyway I dont mind having even 3 breaks because I usually do city switches and sit on my ass for hours. All I ask is if it is legal to hit Off Duty more than once a day.

Oh, I would forget. I asked about it one of the old LH driver who works 6 days a week only as LH and he said he hits Off Duty on every turn in every terminal to save hours. Now this is completely different story. He said he is taking breaks. I dont think a cop would believe it. What do you think?

Oh, I would forget. I asked about it one of the old LH driver who works 6 days a week only as LH and he said he hits Off Duty on every turn in every terminal to save hours.

Pretty sure that’s not legal. If you are at the yard, meet spot, or in any way would be responsible for the truck, you are on duty. DOT would have fun if they looked at that log book. Fines for every infraction, and they can look a ways back.

Lunch break is mandated by federal law, and as a driver you are to use your on duty time to get the rug to a safe haven and at a point where you can abstain from responsibility for 30 minutes. Breaks are completely different. Lots of rules and regs, but the thread started with someone being on duty 13-14 hours. That is a recipe for being illegal. Then it morphed into a LH driver going off duty to hook/unhook sets. The issue there is work comp. if you are logged off duty, and you get hurt hooking a set, work comp would fight you, and Saia would fight you. It’s not worth it!

Lunch break is mandated by federal law, and as a driver you are to use your on duty time to get the rug to a safe haven and at a point where you can abstain from responsibility for 30 minutes. Breaks are completely different. Lots of rules and regs, but the thread started with someone being on duty 13-14 hours. That is a recipe for being illegal. Then it morphed into a LH driver going off duty to hook/unhook sets. The issue there is work comp. if you are logged off duty, and you get hurt hooking a set, work comp would fight you, and Saia would fight you. It’s not worth it!
i get it.
i dont get why 40-50yrd old LH driver would risk it.

You're legal to hit it more than once because you have to be off duty to show a 30 minute break. That guy could've gotten away with it before but not after the Vnomics program was changed a few months ago. I would do the same to show I took a break when hooking and unhooking to keep from having to sit for the 30 minutes.

There is still a way to cheat on the new system on your break but I’ll let y’all figure that one out on your own i figure if this dumb hillbilly can figure it out anyone can lol.
But they are right don’t take your break too early and if you have a flat or some other delay late in the day go ahead and show another break while you are waiting because if you end up using your 16 hr rule that 30 minuets will be the difference between you making it back to the terminal or having someone come and drive you in