ODFL | off duty

10mm

TB Lurker
Credits
this is a plea to all drivers !!! please NO MORE JOB RELATED FUNCTIONS "OFF DUTY"..
This is not an O.D rule,but a FEDERAL LAW.. case in point. I have a meet guy at WTL, very helpful,but had to ask him when he was helping me break/hook if he was on or off duty. he said he was off duty. I ask him if he would go finish his break;enjoy his 30 min time.. him and I work as a team,with respect. my concern was for his job and his health.. electronic tracking is with us folks,we can work with it or against it.. as a work force,we need to educate and encourage our fellow drivers to do the RIGHT things... our jobs are Professions and Careers..
Keep up the Good work !!!

this is a plea to all drivers !!! please NO MORE JOB RELATED FUNCTIONS "OFF DUTY"..
This is not an O.D rule,but a FEDERAL LAW.. case in point. I have a meet guy at WTL, very helpful,but had to ask him when he was helping me break/hook if he was on or off duty. he said he was off duty. I ask him if he would go finish his break;enjoy his 30 min time.. him and I work as a team,with respect. my concern was for his job and his health.. electronic tracking is with us folks,we can work with it or against it.. as a work force,we need to educate and encourage our fellow drivers to do the RIGHT things... our jobs are Professions and Careers..
Keep up the Good work !!!
I run to WTL out of south bend. Ive been guilty of this, but im abruptly changing the habit and have been doing things by the book. I can deal with it. I just hope the rumour of driver facing cameras is false. I wont deal with that. I do my job safely and i wont work in that environment.

I run to WTL out of south bend. Ive been guilty of this, but im abruptly changing the habit and have been doing things by the book. I can deal with it. I just hope the rumour of driver facing cameras is false. I wont deal with that. I do my job safely and i wont work in that environment.

I could not answer that,might just be a rumor.
I for one, want to encourage proper attitude towards the rules and working together as a team.. Sometimes, we must be our co-workers wingman.

Indeed, even when doing a simple inter trip inspection might get hurt in a way where you wont be able to climb into your cab to put yourself back on duty before you or someone else phones it in.

Mark my words, this type of constant monitoring will come back to bite the companies in the but. If you show any chores or work related to on duty not driving, those now counted minutes will cost the company a lot of time & money. It can & will also show just how much free Labor they were getting. The new age of electronics & monitoring truckers every minute of the day will be a game changer for everyone in this business. Log it like you do it & they don't have a falsification of documents excuse to can you. von.

Mark my words, this type of constant monitoring will come back to bite the companies in the but. If you show any chores or work related to on duty not driving, those now counted minutes will cost the company a lot of time & money. It can & will also show just how much free Labor they were getting. The new age of electronics & monitoring truckers every minute of the day will be a game changer for everyone in this business. Log it like you do it & they don't have a falsification of documents excuse to can you. von.
I agree. This is better for the drivers. Also will put a fire under some of these guys who dilly dally. No time to waste anymore.

It does add up. But it also takes a load off my mind it something bad were to happen like an accident, running it by the book is just one less thing i have to worry about.

It does add up. But it also takes a load off my mind it something bad were to happen like an accident, running it by the book is just one less thing i have to worry about.

Smart thinking, hurt yourself once while doing work related things off duty and it's much harder of a story to explain.

Didn't light no fire under me. 1 hour pre trips as usual ;)

Don't rush for anyone. Safety first. CYA. Take your time. Don't be like a lot of these guys, if the limit says 55, do 55 and not max the gov. If someone hits you and it's their fault, just takes a lawyer to say you were going too fast and wouldn't have been in dumb dumb's way if you weren't speeding. $$$$$$$$$$

For on late on Wednesday night.Talked to a couple of line drivers.Apparently they will be getting paid hourly for any non driving time.Show up 30 minutes prior to your gate.Punch in and hook and fuel then dispatch.I'm assuming still login to BLU and dispatch as normal.Also take lunches and breaks accordingly.Instead of 1.50 x4 or 1.50 to fuel.It pays $10/hr.

Yesterday during the day the BLU updated itself.It added a Icon/button titled "Break" with a picture or silhouette of California.It starts reminding you during the day.

This starts today.Maybe just Cally.

For on late on Wednesday night.Talked to a couple of line drivers.Apparently they will be getting paid hourly for any non driving time.Show up 30 minutes prior to your gate.Punch in and hook and fuel then dispatch.I'm assuming still login to BLU and dispatch as normal.Also take lunches and breaks accordingly.Instead of 1.50 x4 or 1.50 to fuel.It pays $10/hr.

Yesterday during the day the BLU updated itself.It added a Icon/button titled "Break" with a picture or silhouette of California.It starts reminding you during the day.

Will check that out... Thanks..

The pay should be your hourly rate. You get $6 now and they want you to do it in half hour, so now you'll get $5???

The pay should be your hourly rate. You get $6 now and they want you to do it in half hour, so now you'll get $5???
I completely agree... it should be your hourly rate,anything less would be,un-team like...

Reactions: Ump
Don't rush for anyone. Safety first. CYA. Take your time. Don't be like a lot of these guys, if the limit says 55, do 55 and not max the gov. If someone hits you and it's their fault, just takes a lawyer to say you were going too fast and wouldn't have been in dumb dumb's way if you weren't speeding. $$$$$$$$$$
Exactly...Don't rush back, take your time and be safe. Take your two 15 minute breaks and make sure those trailers get to there destination in one piece. City guys understand how we can be delayed by traffic or our meet driver was held up on his end. See we can agree on something. Just took you changing everything you've ever said about line drivers, but I see real promise here. Might be the start of a new friendship.

Don't know if that new pay would be a good thing if your trailers are ready when you show up. I can usually hook and be out the gate in 30 minutes, at current rate that pays $6. If it goes to $10/hr I would be making $5. It's not that $1 makes a difference, I can totally see many drivers taking their sweet time hooking and dropping which would bring us to the point where we'll have to explain every minute of our yard time to management. I'm ok with getting paid $6 to hook a set, even if it takes me an hour just to hook, but I would like to get compensated at my normal hourly pay for whatever delay is out of my control like shop, waiting for a trailer or waiting for a set to come in so I can snatch a dolly when we are short.

Why is a line drivers time only worth 10 hr?

Better than the 7.50 it was worth. Which is better than nothing if you're twiddling your thumbs at the hotel doing nothing. Seriously though, if you can drop and hook a set in 30 minutes (totally doable, I do regularly) the pay we get per piece of equipment equals out to roughly our city rate of pay. The only time it bites you in the keyster is if you have to search for a trailer, have a difficult hook, or have to wait for the dock to close and seal the trailer.

Better than the 7.50 it was worth. Which is better than nothing if you're twiddling your thumbs at the hotel doing nothing. Seriously though, if you can drop and hook a set in 30 minutes (totally doable, I do regularly) the pay we get per piece of equipment equals out to roughly our city rate of pay. The only time it bites you in the keyster is if you have to search for a trailer, have a difficult hook, or have to wait for the dock to close and seal the trailer.
So you have no reasonable reply?