ABF | Offer to help with quarterly reports to Wall Street

6PakAbs

TB Veteran
Credits
A special thanks to Freightmaster1 on the YRC forum for giving me this idea. I want to help the folks at the Fart prepare for the next presentation for the next quarterly "earnings" report to Wall Street

You can fill in any quarter or year that you'd like..'

During the quarter, freight demands were decreased due to a sluggish manufacturing environment and overall economy stagnation.. Several of our major competitors have been in an aggressive cost cutting mode that have impacted the rating environment.

We have been in a cost cutting mode as well and because of that, our purchased transportation cost is up in the triple digits due to the Logistics department giving a lot of tonnage/revenue to non union subs and outright competitors. Our cost cutting includes leaving our long term, high dollar employees at home while we explore less expensive means to move the tonnage.

The hurricanes (or later can use snowstorms, etc) impacted operations with cost associated with freight backups and lost revenue. Global warming has also created issues as well as the cow manure/gas problems from non organic farming

Also, the generous bonuses paid to the upper management for such a bargaining chip with the Teamsters had a major impact on the bottom line, but not as great as having to pay the ABF Freight System employees full wage and benefit scale.

So, there you got...a little help for future reports!

Last edited:
Now you just have to get Wall Street to pay attention to our opinions............Maybe if we attach them to our 401(K) statements, they might listen....

A special thanks to Freightmaster1 on the YRC forum for giving me this idea. I want to help the folks at the Fart prepare for the next presentation for the next quarterly "earnings" report to Wall Street

You can fill in any quarter or year that you'd like..'

During the quarter, freight demands were decreased due to a sluggish manufacturing environment and overall economy stagnation.. Several of our major competitors have been in an aggressive cost cutting mode that have impacted the rating environment.

We have been in a cost cutting mode as well and because of that, our purchased transportation cost is up in the triple digits due to the Logistics department giving a lot of tonnage/revenue to non union subs and outright competitors. Our cost cutting includes leaving our long term, high dollar employees at home while we explore less expensive means to move the tonnage.

The hurricanes (or later can use snowstorms, etc) impacted operations with cost associated with freight backups and lost revenue. Global warming has also created issues as well as the cow manure/gas problems from non organic farming

Also, the generous bonuses paid to the upper management for such a bargaining chip with the Teamsters had a major impact on the bottom line, but not as great as having to pay the ABF Freight System employees full wage and benefit scale.

So, there you got...a little help for future reports!
Hilarious! I needed the laugh after the ball-buster day I had yesterday. Almost called off today. But then I thought...”Naw, I’ll go in for some more abuse.”

Maybe they could throw in something about decreased productivity due to the employees grieving over Las Vegas, and other such events. Just to pretend like the company cares, while still explaining away the dismal, carefully manufactured numbers.

Maybe they could throw in something about decreased productivity due to the employees grieving over Las Vegas, and other such events. Just to pretend like the company cares, while still explaining away the dismal, carefully manufactured numbers.
I like the last part....."while still explaining away the dismal, carefully manufactured numbers"...good stuff and how true..that is why accountants use erases and delete buttons

I like the last part....."while still explaining away the dismal, carefully manufactured numbers"...good stuff and how true..that is why accountants use erases and delete buttons

Don't forget the rise in Worker's Compensation claims by accountants breathing in volumes of eraser dust, and spraining their index fingers hitting the "delete" button so often.......

well, well, well...earnings report came out today with the "carefully manufactured numbers"...you will notice that the tonnage decreased 3.07% and the shipment count decreased 1.4 %. These "carefully manufactured numbers" are obviously ABF Freight System numbers...the revenue is hidden in the ArcBest totals...nice to know that with the decrease in concessions/wage cuts, the corporation is building up nicely to do away with the Teamsters portion of ArcBest...better wake up, people! That includes everyone except the high level Executives....Teamsters, superviors, management are all in the same boat...we'd probably do the corporation a favor by striking...then they could farm out all of the business....wonder what they would do with the ReLo cubes?? Even with this, wow....look at OD trading for 3.5-4 Times higher than good ole ArcBest...and Saia of all folks. almost double...what is going on???? "Pay the rate or lock the gate"...good drivers can find a job anywhere...

well, well, well...earnings report came out today with the "carefully manufactured numbers"...you will notice that the tonnage decreased 3.07% and the shipment count decreased 1.4 %. These "carefully manufactured numbers" are obviously ABF Freight System numbers...the revenue is hidden in the ArcBest totals...nice to know that with the decrease in concessions/wage cuts, the corporation is building up nicely to do away with the Teamsters portion of ArcBest...better wake up, people! That includes everyone except the high level Executives....Teamsters, superviors, management are all in the same boat...we'd probably do the corporation a favor by striking...then they could farm out all of the business....wonder what they would do with the ReLo cubes?? Even with this, wow....look at OD trading for 3.5-4 Times higher than good ole ArcBest...and Saia of all folks. almost double...what is going on???? "Pay the rate or lock the gate"...good drivers can find a job anywhere...
I’m inclined to agree with you here, 6pak. I’ve long said a strike might be the wake-up call the company needs.

Relo-Cubes? They pulled them out of our terminal two years ago........Said it wasn’t .......”profitable” ....... in our area. Funny, ......we have two big Universities in our peddle area, along with one of the nation’s largest trade schools.

Prior to them pulling out the ‘Cubes, we did a booming business every semester change........One summer, there was talk of making the ‘Cubes a bid run......so much business.......

Problem was, we hired guys who regarded doing ‘Cubes as ......”punishment “..
Constant complaints,.....and some failures to deliver, when there shouldn’t have been.

So they pulled out our trailer.......No ‘Cubes For You!

And the Labor man agreed with me that if I saw a ‘Cube within a hundred mile radius of our terminal, I’d file many massive grievances about subcontracting.....

And they hid it real well. ........I’m sure of it. Terminals to the east , west, north, and south of us who still retained their ‘Cube trailers probably encroached on the fringes, thanks to Mr. Soehl’s interpretation of jurisdiction. The rest,........probably farmed out to O.D. through U-Pack as partial trailer loads.......or maybe even a ‘Cube inside one of their boxes.........very effective hiding for subcontracting.......

We all know creative subcontracting of work traditionally performed by us is going on. What is the........”solution”....the Teamsters come up with this time?

Relo-Cubes? They pulled them out of our terminal two years ago........Said it wasn’t .......”profitable” ....... in our area. Funny, ......we have two big Universities in our peddle area, along with one of the nation’s largest trade schools.

Prior to them pulling out the ‘Cubes, we did a booming business every semester change........One summer, there was talk of making the ‘Cubes a bid run......so much business.......

Problem was, we hired guys who regarded doing ‘Cubes as ......”punishment “..
Constant complaints,.....and some failures to deliver, when there shouldn’t have been.

So they pulled out our trailer.......No ‘Cubes For You!

And the Labor man agreed with me that if I saw a ‘Cube within a hundred mile radius of our terminal, I’d file many massive grievances about subcontracting.....

And they hid it real well. ........I’m sure of it. Terminals to the east , west, north, and south of us who still retained their ‘Cube trailers probably encroached on the fringes, thanks to Mr. Soehl’s interpretation of jurisdiction. The rest,........probably farmed out to O.D. through U-Pack as partial trailer loads.......or maybe even a ‘Cube inside one of their boxes.........very effective hiding for subcontracting.......

We all know creative subcontracting of work traditionally performed by us is going on. What is the........”solution”....the Teamsters come up with this time?
Seems interesting they would pull the trailer and give driver complaints as the reason. I smell an ulterior motive here. Hell...if they pulled everything I complained about, we’d be down to one driver, and it wouldn’t be me!

The ostensible reason they pulled the’Cubes out was......” not enough business”.....

The big hint that I got as steward was “ driver complaints”.....

Consequently, I pulled most of the ‘Cube loads just to keep the bottom guys from feeling “punished”

I had no problem with them......they just weren’t for the lazy.......

My doing them eliminated any complaints about punishment from the lower half of the board. I guess I didn’t pull enough of them.......

The ostensible reason they pulled the’Cubes out was......” not enough business”.....

The big hint that I got as steward was “ driver complaints”.....

Consequently, I pulled most of the ‘Cube loads just to keep the bottom guys from feeling “punished”

I had no problem with them......they just weren’t for the lazy.......

My doing them eliminated any complaints about punishment from the lower half of the board. I guess I didn’t pull enough of them.......

This is not the first time work has been lost because somebody wanted to choose their work. I remember when I first started in this business some men in the shop gave up work that was given to a vendor because they didn't want to do it at the time. Later during a layoff the same men complained about the vendor doing "Our work". The business agent told them to do anything they were asked to do unless it was not safe including cleaning floors. (They also complained about sweeping floors & allowed a janitorial service to come in). When the layoff came the ones who all but refused to do the work complained to the business agent. He told them they allowed the work to be farmed out before the layoff so there was little he could do. He advised them to file a grievance & he would take it to the hearings but he didn't expect a sympathetic ear when Teamsters refused to do the work. The company had to have the work done & offered it to them.
I also did work that was not clean or easy but I refused to let the work get away.