Oh boy

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Well today was kind of craptastic. At work right now actually waiting to get loaded for a back haul. One of the other guys didn't want it so I said give me it I'm down town near the food terminal I'll do it. After all it's only logical.

Any how sitting here waiting my load dreaming about Lisa Loeb . (Chuckle chuckle)

So any how this morning I get to my second stop UGH!

You back in off the street then ally dock inside the building to the dock.

Well I get there get set up to back and start backing the door we back through is just high enough to accommodate our trucks. So security opens the door I wait till the door is open and start backing down into the garage were straight square and so far so good were going were going trailer passes through the weather door pillars just fine. This is how it always is nothing is amiss you can't tell by looking in the mirrors that anything is wrong.

I'm looking back and I see it's all cones and caution tape and barelles where the dock is. Then I hear and loud screaching noise.

What the heck was that?
It sounded like it came from under the truck. I get out look bottom back and sides are all clear totally fine.

So then I look up nothing wrong with the trailer it cleared the main door and the plastic canvas weather garage door as well, but not the tractor. They didn't have the weather door up high enough and we make this manuver twice a week I've done it in this truck more then a dozen times never ever had an issue.
There's no good way to see the weather door when your backing in and usually they have it up high as it can go.

Well any how the top half of the back of the trucks air fairing hit the bottom bulge of the weather door and there's some give there because it's material not metal paneling and I had no idea until I heard that noise and knocked the bottom half of the weather door like one wheel off its track.

Then to ad to that mess security said you can't back in here anyhow because of the construction which I had already figured out on my own any how and you can't clog up
The lane either which I already knew that too. I wanted to tell you but I could get any one down in time fast enough even though there booth is right near the door and about a 50-100ft walk not even to the door. They could have easily easily have opened up the door and while it was opening and I was waiting for it to open waved there hands and said no go which is fine.

I told them by the way I just hit your inside garage door they didn't even know what I was talking about.

So now I have to pull out into the street do a U-Turn fine throw on my 4-ways and run the order in from the street.

Also I'm on the phone with my boss asking him who is really at fault here. He said that this has happened before there and last time it happened security lowered the door on our truck and we took out the bottom panel but the building said that was there fault.

I told my boss it looked like it always does when I'm backing in there we do this manuver twice a week in this truck. Never had this happen before.

Now I said there is no damage at all to our truck our truck is fine. There door still is operational and goes up and down that's not an issue. The door it's self isn't damaged either. It's just one whee knocked off a track.

Now they didn't say that they were going to charge me with an accident right off the rip because if you were backing in there you would not have known and couldn't tell and like I said our trucks can fit we prove it twice a week every week so I don't know...its not the greatest situation. I'm leaning towards I'll have to fill out some paper work and then I don't know.

I don't know what there going to do. The building probably thought they had the door up high enough didn't give it another thought opened the door pretty much like they always do and said come on in. Like I said the trailer cleared just fine. It hit the top top half of the air fairing there was nothing in my mirrors to show anything was really amiss it all looked like it always does. I said to my boss I've never had this happen before.

He just said go on about your day and I'll take care of it.
So I don't know I betcha they will charge me with an accident but that's me always thinking the worst although that's kind of it could go either way if the building said yeah that should have been up higher because that's true you can't see it from the outside backing in and it's also true you have never had this problem before the lane is narrow there's only one way in your in the center and that's it. If do that then I'm off the hook they did last time but that was last time.

When they open that door it's game on. Everything was open nothing was moving and I don't start backing in there intil the metal outside door is open all way and totally recessed and not moving. It's game on there the ones that control the door and traffic going in and out.

As far as the construction went my boss said. Are you kidding? I said no I have to run it in from the street. He was like really? I said yes. I could hear him shaking his head like this isn't happening right now.

My boss said was the door open all the way. I said coast was totally clear same as it always is no doors were moving.

Well anyhow I don't know they didn't seem to say yeah it's your fault I think they were waiting to see if the building says anything or not.

***update*** when I got back to the yard today there was no accident or incident report paper work in my mailbox. So I don't know what that means. My dad said "Oh for heavens sake just take a hammer pound the thing back on track and forget about and let nobody give a crap." I kind of like that solution.

They didn't say anything about it at all today and personally I don't even think it's on there radar I think they have bigger fish to fry then that whole thing.

Last edited:
They didn't say anything about it at all today and personally I don't even think it's on there radar I think they have bigger fish to fry then that whole thing.
Could of been worse Mike!!
XHulNOz.jpg

i9udWyj.jpg

Is the guy or gal who was piloting that set okay? That's a pretty nasty accident, do you know what happened there?

Not sure where they were out of. Supposedly went off a bridge in joplin missouri. I was looking at the tow company Facebook page it looks like they actually have their own rotator and it was on the job there.

You think it was $20,000? I would imagine it's quite a bill for a job like that. You could be right. I wouldn't want to be the one paying for it

Is Old Dominion self insured? If they are they probably ended up paying that bill out of pocket. That's a few bucks. I know I wouldn't want to have to sit down and write a check for $20,000, plus then you have to think the truck and trailers and converter dolly are going to need to be looked at and decided weather there totaled or not and then the cost to replace all that equipment yuck. Plus oh gosh all the cargo inside the truck that $20,000 is just the tip of the iceberg. Now granted they may have been able to salvage some of the stuff who knows, but yeah that's something for someone with big deep pockets.