ABF | OK, my $2.00 worth on 2019 and beyond

I'm suprised they still buy cars, would it be cheaper and easier to just pay mileage on your personal car?
Please forgive me but this one made me laugh. Of course paying mileage would be cheaper but it would be no where near as 'easy' as just providing the car with gas and insurance as part of the pay package. I have heard of a situation where the B/A's are provided with an exorbitant flat rate 'auto allowance' in lieu of just a car or mileage pay.

Please forgive me but this one made me laugh. Of course paying mileage would be cheaper but it would be no where near as 'easy' as just providing the car with gas and insurance as part of the pay package. I have heard of a situation where the B/A's are provided with an exorbitant flat rate 'auto allowance' in lieu of just a car or mileage pay.

Back in 1962 at local 71 we had 2 BAs and the president got carried away with their exorbitant package deal,
wound up costing all three two yrs in the big house.

How could I have been so callus to disregard the ....... personal sacrifice........ our IBT officers have to go through during negotiations.....

And what's even worse is that 4 times a year, they have to go to some godforsaken backwater,...... like Myrtle Beach, S.C...... for regional grievance hearings.......

I remember being at the King's Plantation resort,...... and bursting into tears at the starkness of my room once the bellhop showed me to my room........

How awful! And we had to be there 3 days because they were only hearing 2 cases a day........and in July yet!

Not to mention how boring when you don't golf, and I don't

Our Local had a big floor discussion concerning auto expenses, reimbursement, and the potential leasing of vehicles. The officers recused themselves from comment, and told the members however they motioned from the floor is how they would proceed in the future. They placed the responsibility of the cost, and how the policy would be enacted firmly in the hands of the rank-and-file.

Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?
NO, NO, NO...here's is how it's supposed to be...the Executive Board proposes a perk for themselves to be incorporated into the Bylaws via a motion and a second by themselves or two of their buddies, then it gets voted on in a meeting stacked with their buddies and becomes law forever more.

How could I have been so callus to disregard the ....... personal sacrifice........ our IBT officers have to go through during negotiations.....

And what's even worse is that 4 times a year, they have to go to some godforsaken backwater,...... like Myrtle Beach, S.C...... for regional grievance hearings.......

I remember being at the King's Plantation resort,...... and bursting into tears at the starkness of my room once the bellhop showed me to my room........

How awful! And we had to be there 3 days because they were only hearing 2 cases a day........and in July yet!
How was the buffet?

How was the buffet?
Tasted like sand and ashes........taste got worse when you think of all the people relying on a good grievance outcome based on the contract, ........... and the dues money wasted on a purely political outcome.....

I'm suprised they still buy cars, would it be cheaper and easier to just pay mileage on your personal car?

It would make the most sense to fleet lease and apply an app or install the same devices used in fleet trucks to verify use. Overages in mileage would be charged back to the BA.

As an old timer, as you call us. Let me say this, I voted no the first time and was very vocal about it. I'm here to tell you, I will vote no again. The offer must include a pay raise, restore vacations, no copay on ins, and no changes to the pension, unless they guarantee we will get what we would get right now or more. The new hires, from what I've seen, most are gone as soon as they find something else. So save up, cause us old timers are fed up and ready to walk.
Couldn't agree more! How many times does a person have to get burnt before they realize Never give back!NEVER! We work hard and deserve MUCH more than we're making!!!!We deliver everything!!!!Every store ,factory,school,farm,courtroom gavel and ect,is brought by truck drivers!!!! We deserve much more money as well as respect!!!!DON'T GIVE BACK!!!! If they can't afford to pay us,CLOSE THE DOORS!! Then they can find a new job also!!! AND don't forget the lifelong saying,,,YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!

Couldn't agree more! How many times does a person have to get burnt before they realize Never give back!NEVER! We work hard and deserve MUCH more than we're making!!!!We deliver everything!!!!Every store ,factory,school,farm,courtroom gavel and ect,is brought by truck drivers!!!! We deserve much more money as well as respect!!!!DON'T GIVE BACK!!!! If they can't afford to pay us,CLOSE THE DOORS!! Then they can find a new job also!!! AND don't forget the lifelong saying,,,YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!

How about: "Good is Never Cheap, ...and Cheap is Never Good"? If they want to go cheap on pay and benefits, and still think the Quality Process will sustain,.............then all we can say is that you'll get what you.....pay for.

Why do they think that all the non-Unions raised their hourly rate to a buck or so more than the Union carriers? Two reasons:......To forestall any thought of organizing,....and to Hoover up the best CDL holders in an increasingly shrinking pool of availability.

Good Contract in 2018!

Why do they think that all the non-Unions raised their hourly rate to a buck or so more than the Union carriers? Two reasons:......To forestall any thought of organizing,....and to Hoover up the best CDL holders in an increasingly shrinking pool of availability.
And they used to get the lackies that the union companies wouldn't hire but now the tables have turned...but upper management doesn't get it and doesn't care.

It would make the most sense to fleet lease and apply an app or install the same devices used in fleet trucks to verify use. Overages in mileage would be charged back to the BA.

Be careful making a suggestion like that, in the old days some BAs would have you fitted with concrete swim fins.
BTW, Don't think a lot of things done today make sense.

I was honestly looking at the pay rates between ABF & Old Dominion, and it really surprised me. They are offering a pay and benefits package that is basically on par with ABF. The only difference would be a 401k vs. pension. And let's not ever count on that pension happening, guys. That's how I've always lived my life.

I was honestly looking at the pay rates between ABF & Old Dominion, and it really surprised me. They are offering a pay and benefits package that is basically on par with ABF. The only difference would be a 401k vs. pension. And let's not ever count on that pension happening, guys. That's how I've always lived my life.
They don't get overtime. Pretty big difference if you count that and our insurance is by far superior to theirs. If your spouse has a job offering insurance they will not cover them. Just saying. I agree with your pension statement though. I've got 24 years tell I'm 65. Not holding my breath on seeing a pension payment.

They don't get overtime. Pretty big difference if you count that and our insurance is by far superior to theirs. If your spouse has a job offering insurance they will not cover them. Just saying. I agree with your pension statement though. I've got 24 years tell I'm 65. Not holding my breath on seeing a pension payment.
I was over the road at ABF. I will let you know when I get those overtime checks.

That how ours is too, may not be the same everywhere though.
I'm in central states and we don't have to take our spouses insurance. I got married about 4 years ago. There was no restrictions or questions about my wife's company or insurance. Just name social security number and the kids info. Maybe teamcare has changed from previous eligibility requirements.

https://myteamcare.org/faqs/eligibility.aspx

Last edited: