ODFL | Old Dominion Policy of LineHaul

imported_Gearbox

TB Lurker
Credits
I kinda a have problem, I would like to know OD's policy and where it is stated on Linehaul position openings. We have four new linehaul routes opening up-2 Salt Lake City, UT runs and 2 Denver, Co. runs. From my understanding is everybody in Linehaul from the senior linehaul driver on down has first dibs, if nobody in linehaul wants it, it then goes up to P&D drivers. Another thing, is it right for the TM to skip a senior driver and offer a run to junior driver? If there is policy written on this in OD's policy book, where and what page can it be found? Thnks

i am not sure on this but right now at my terminal i keep on getting the shaft on runs. we had a guy with more seniority than me get a run to st louis no problem with that he has a couple more months of seniority than me. but what really gets on my nerves is a guy with less seniority than me gets the run the previous guy had. so i am still on the extra board and i have been over there a year . now today i only worked 5 hours doing city work while the guys with less seniority got to run good miles today :chairshot:

From what I was told is that everything works on senority. After yearly bids are done, if another run becomes available then only the wild/extra drivers bid. If a senior driver wants it he can bid on it at the next years bidding. I was told that once you bid and get a run you must keep it all year and no exceptions to bid on a new run that comes open.

However, I have not seen anything work totally like it is supposed to. It seems to be more of who do you know & be in the right place at the right time instead of seniority.

OD's policies are written in the wind. You have no representation so you work for the same company as Earl Sinclair from the show dinosaurs, the We Say So Company. Why is it that way? Because we say so.

bottom line is it is up to the tm i know there are terms that don't do bids the tm asigns the runs and they are small terms i hope thats not your case

ODFL is pretty flexible regarding runs and bids
Freight volumes and lanes change daily and the economy is down in general so as a driver you have to do the best you can, sometimes take some runs you don't want and run wild to make some extra money. No system is perfect but generally I am treated well here.

sometimes i think the tm is screwing me on runs because they want me to do p&d the tm had me do p&d for a couple months until we hired more people and they wanted me to stay on local because i was fast now when i get back from making my run the dispatchers will ask me hey do you time :chairshot: