Estes | Old GI Trucking Pension Plan

Compton197

TB Lurker
Credits
I worked for GI Trucking for 7 years back from 1977-1984 and I heard there was a Pension plan payout from Estes several years ago for GI employees?
Does anyone have any information on this or who I can contact? I've talked to two old co-workers who are receiving a monthly pension who worked at GI for less years than I did.

Yeah I did and they stated they have no record of me working there and another trucker went through the same thing where they told him they had no record of him working there.

WebGI TRUCKING COMPANY EMPLOYEES RETIREMENT PLAN is a Defined Benefit Plan providing retirees with a predetermined monthly retirement benefit upon reaching a
That link shows up as not found. Do you have another link to whatever website you found? Thanks for your help.

Or you could try this;

Search at the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation​

The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation insures private-sector traditional pension plans and pays out benefits up to certain limits if the plan fails. The PBGC has a database of unclaimed pensions that lists over 72,000 people who are eligible for pension payments that could not be located by the PBGC or their former employer.

That link shows up as not found. Do you have another link to whatever website you found? Thanks for your help.
I googled
gi trucking company pension

About the forth listing down it had

G,I, TRUCKING COMPANY EMPLOYEES' RETIREMENT PLAN

If you click on that it will open the site.

I worked for GI Trucking for 7 years back from 1977-1984 and I heard there was a Pension plan payout from Estes several years ago for GI employees?
Does anyone have any information on this or who I can contact? I've talked to two old co-workers who are receiving a monthly pension who worked at GI for less years than I did.
That plan was under Carolina Freight’s time of ownership, and Estes assumed it, and bought out everyone who was not yet retired, and collecting their retirement. You might try contacting HR at Estes corporate and asking, though I don’t know who would be handling that now.

Yeah I did and they stated they have no record of me working there and another trucker went through the same thing where they told him they had no record of him working there.
Of course they have no record they don't want to pay you! Teamsters are notorious for that crap too hope you saved those logbooks and old tax filings.

Seeing as I was there from 1982 until 2020, maybe I can shed some light on this. The retirement wasn’t started until after Carolina Freight bought GI in 1985, and was modeled on the teamster retirement. Not long after ABF absorbed Carolina, and left GI on its own, they put the plan under ERISA with the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, which is where it sat until Estes bought GI. To everyone’s surprise, Estes took it out of ERISA, funded it and honored the plan with any vested GI employee that was there after 1985. About five years ago, Estes closed the program, buying out anyone not retired yet, and funding through Pacific Trust, all those who were. Your problem is that you left before the plan was established.

Seeing as I was there from 1982 until 2020, maybe I can shed some light on this. The retirement wasn’t started until after Carolina Freight bought GI in 1985, and was modeled on the teamster retirement. Not long after ABF absorbed Carolina, and left GI on its own, they put the plan under ERISA with the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, which is where it sat until Estes bought GI. To everyone’s surprise, Estes took it out of ERISA, funded it and honored the plan with any vested GI employee that was there after 1985. About five years ago, Estes closed the program, buying out anyone not retired yet, and funding through Pacific Trust, all those who were. Your problem is that you left before the plan was established.
Thanks for your help. This seems to make more sense now.

Of course they have no record they don't want to pay you! Teamsters are notorious for that crap too hope you saved those logbooks and old tax filings.
I still have my membership card from when I joined in 57, I have been drawing a check from C S since 1990.
The girl at local 71 said they had no record of me being a member.
I told her I wished she could ask the guy who was president when I joined because I helped to send his azz to prison, maybe he would remember.