old guy 107 thoughts

oldguydriver

TB Lurker
Credits
This is my first post regarding the union vote. Now that there is a date for the election here are my thoughts and concerns. I have listened to both sides...from fellow drivers both for and against and at the driver meeting. Would I like the 5% back? Who wouldn't? Do I want better communication between drivers and management? Of course. But in all honestly I haven't heard anything from any of the guys who are in favor of a yes vote and nothing in any of the flyers handed out by the Teamsters stating anything specific as to what we would get. Having never been a union driver the first question my wife and I are asking is why the guys who used to be in the union are not working at a union job now? And why are most carriers non-union? I also haven't heard anything about what kind of health benefits would be offered. What about my 401K? I have a small loan on that and will I have to pay the penalty on it once I can't participate? What about seniority? What about stops and miles versus the hourly drivers? Does that change? Nobody has said anything about the areas we run. Will the driver that runs Pa. now have to run the Bronx because that is where he falls on the list? II know I am paying more for my benefits but I have always compared the increases to what it would cost me if I didn't work here. I guess what I'm saying is I know what's here..4 weeks vacation,holidays and personal days,decent equipment. I know what I have..I'm not sure I want to take a chance with a 3rd party bargaining for me.I also don't see drivers running to other carriers for a better deal. Many of us have been here for many years. Do I really care what JS makes? Should we start comparing what the stops and miles guys make versus the hourly guys? I make a good living and have taken care of my family. Is this place perfect? Of course not. I can honestly say the us against them crap is wearing thin and I'll be glad when this is over. What if no agreement is reached during the bargaining? I'm supposed to walk a picket line? Working here is a tough job and now we have all this to worry about. I'm not pro or anti union...I'm pro family..bottom line.

Why would your 401k change? Your still employed at NCT you have an agreement with pnc bank to pay your loan back under the terms
Of the agreement nothing will change but the company match will end you will still be able to contribute. That is a bold lie if NCT tells you otherwise.

Why would your 401k change? Your still employed at NCT you have an agreement with pnc bank to pay your loan back under the terms
Of the agreement nothing will change but the company match will end you will still be able to contribute. That is a bold lie if NCT tells you otherwise.
I heard Bobblehead Marshall is bringing guys in the office asking them if they have a loan on there 401K and if they do,they will have to pay-up if the union is voted in,just another scare tactic,I would tell him to mind his business !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard Bobblehead Marshall is bringing guys in the office asking them if they have a loan on there 401K and if they do,they will have to pay-up if the union is voted in,just another scare tactic,I would tell him to mind his business !!!

I kinda doubt that... but unless unionizing changes the way your bank loan/agreement works, that at least wouldn't be affected, everything else however....

I kinda doubt that... but unless unionizing changes the way your bank loan/agreement works, that at least wouldn't be affected, everything else however....

Then I guess you aren't as informed as you think you are! The company is indeed informing everyone with a loan against their 401k they have 4 to 6 weeks to pay it back! (So much for I kinda doubt that) Unionizing doesn't change anything about your 401k because that's your money and you deal with PNC Bank regarding it. However the high and almighty NCT who you are still standing behind thinks they can mess with your money! Illegal! So how about that Rich the company you've been defending isn't as trustworthy as you think!

Interesting. You say "the company I'm standing behind" but I have asked legtimate concerns that nobody who is for the union is answering. The answer from PNC bank is in the loan agreement. If, for whatever reason. you are out of the 401K plan the loan becomes due. The company deducts the agreed to weekly payment from your weekly check. They do not accept weekly payments from the borowers personal account. You can call PNC and verify this yourself as I did. So this becomes another item that has to be bargained for. Speaking of the bargaining process it will start from zero. This is a no brainer. Right now there is nothing on paper and no contract. It is true that we are all paid by what the company offers and we accept this payment without a third party involved. Do you really think if you are earning 22.19 an hour that it will start there? Not everyone makes the same based on your hiring date. Do you think there will be seperate negotiations for each different rate? You don't start from the top and work down. You start from the bottom and work up. Think of it this way.....supposing NCT says that starting on such and such a date we are now paying 15,00 an hour. It would be up to each individual to decide whether to accept that or not. Why would NCT start at the current rates and work up? They will start at the bottom and work up.The Union Health and Welfare Fund, the Union Pension Fund, the money we would pay for union dues, all will be deducted from whatever the agreed upon rate is. Do you really think you will come out of this making 28.00 an hour in order to cover these new deductions? Ridiculous. Again..if being in a union is such a sweet deal why aren't the drivers who are pro union or past members of a union driving for union carries? Because there aren't any! Anyone remember Red Star ot Holland TNT? Check out the condition of the so called pension funds. I know one thing...if the vote is yes and an agreement can't be reached there will be a boat load of drivers applying for our jobs..just based on what we make now.

How can there be a contract when the union hasn't been voted in yet.
Your putting the cart before the horse here . The union doesn't tell us what we are getting we tell the union
What we want and they negotiate it.

Exactly right.....there isn't a contract. We are paid what the company offers. If there is a yes vote the members will tell the union where to start. but nothing will happen unless NCT AGREES to it......if not...............then what?

An agreement will be made NCT can't operate without drivers on the road they are not a manufacturer.
One day work stopage would kill them.

Yes it would and a week would probably mean a lot of drivers and suppout personal would be out of work too, and how long after that would it take for you and all your union buddies to be out of work and looking for other jobs. Maybe you could get a job with YRC oh sorry you can't because the union has them just about to go out of business so not only you but how many other drivers will be looking for a job. This not only hurts you think of all the support personal that get hurt to, mechinics, dock workers, office personal, but you don't care because you think your getting screwed.

Really, read up on FACTS. The union drivers help keep YRC in business by giving back a lot. But now they(poor management) want more from the people(UNION DRIVERS) who make the money for the TRUCKING Co.So really maybe you should sit back and let your spineless trucker husband work for long hours for slave pay.But you may like him not to be home with his family.

My wife and I both think that's a big risk. Those of us who go to the same areas everyday......what happens when a seniority list kicks in? We know our stops and customers and let's face it...we're comfortable with that. This week when we go back to work in the morning keep your ears open for the guys who are going somewhere else for whatever reason.They stand at the counter going "this isn't my area." and are not happy. Are we willing to live with "here's where you're going." The money and benifits are all negotiable but there is no way any union can dictate how NCT conducts their business. If you fall in the middle of the list and have a set run what's to stop a senior guy from saying I'll take that run. There are tons of questions like these.....

Senior drivers should have the better runs. Why should you have an easier, closer, dedicated run? They've put the time in. NCT IS THE REASON the Men want the Union in. Greed...

Believe or not the seniority list is already and always been there. The only risk you take everyday is not screw-up,so they cannot just let you go. Only bid runs will keep you in certain areas.Nothing is guaranteed. Only risk your taking,is not protecting your rights, with a voice as a group. So VOTE YES for union representation.

Senior drivers should have the better runs. Why should you have an easier, closer, dedicated run? They've put the time in. NCT IS THE REASON the Men want the Union in. Greed...

Thats where alot of people disagree with the union.Merit,productivity,performance,etc are all better qualities than seniority.Not saying that always happens at nons but if I owned a company,butt kissing aside,those would be the factors I would look at,to make my business successful.

Thats where alot of people disagree with the union.Merit,productivity,performance,etc are all better qualities than seniority.Not saying that always happens at nons but if I owned a company,butt kissing aside,those would be the factors I would look at,to make my business successful.

agreed, merit based would make the difference