ABF | Old Movies

Homesick

Retired
Credits
I spent memorial day watching BAND OF BROTHERS. Then I spent Tuesday watching THE THIN MAN series. Anyone recommend any other good movies or series?

Citizen Kane ..(..Top of the list..)..........Cheech and Chong's "Up In Smoke"..........Weird Al Yankovic's "UHF"...........Catch-22,...(...although nowhere near as good or nuanced as the book...).....Michael Palin's "Brazil"......if you want a dark, depressing, hopeless ...comedy........

Books,....Read books,......they put movies to shame.....If you see Jack Nicholson in "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"............and then read the book,.....you realize what a pale and colorless shame the movie is........

For fall-down, out-and-out, silky-smooth, outrageously insulting humor,......Mark Twain's "Innocents Abroad".........

For probably the world's greatest science-fiction story of all time,.......Twain's "Mysterious Stranger"........in which Satan is the good guy.......

Anything by Paul Theroux.............Anything by P.J. O'Rourke.........

And,....If you want a military-themed, patriotic and thrilling tale of WWII combat.........Herman Wouk's "The Caine Mutiny"....Absolutely without a doubt the best novel of destroyer sailors .........(..the mutiny occurs during Admiral Halsey's historically correct typhoon,....which sunk several of his destroyers....)....

That list ought to last you about a week.........

"Catch-22".............definately read it..........Maybe people will start picking up on my "Milo Minderbinder" reference, when I'm referring to ....certain presidencies.......

"Catch-22".............definately read it..........Maybe people will start picking up on my "Milo Minderbinder" reference, when I'm referring to ....certain presidencies.......
Catch 22, is it one of those books that wonder all over the place in the writing? Wikipedia has it as " describing events from the points of view of different characters. The separate storylines are out of sequence so the timeline develops along with the plot." Some of those early 13 century writers, before the English language became formatted, give me a headache trying to decode there writings. It is not written in that style is it?

Citizen Kane ..(..Top of the list..)..........Cheech and Chong's "Up In Smoke"..........Weird Al Yankovic's "UHF"...........Catch-22,...(...although nowhere near as good or nuanced as the book...).....Michael Palin's "Brazil"......if you want a dark, depressing, hopeless ...comedy........

Books,....Read books,......they put movies to shame.....If you see Jack Nicholson in "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"............and then read the book,.....you realize what a pale and colorless shame the movie is........

For fall-down, out-and-out, silky-smooth, outrageously insulting humor,......Mark Twain's "Innocents Abroad".........

For probably the world's greatest science-fiction story of all time,.......Twain's "Mysterious Stranger"........in which Satan is the good guy.......

Anything by Paul Theroux.............Anything by P.J. O'Rourke.........

And,....If you want a military-themed, patriotic and thrilling tale of WWII combat.........Herman Wouk's "The Caine Mutiny"....Absolutely without a doubt the best novel of destroyer sailors .........(..the mutiny occurs during Admiral Halsey's historically correct typhoon,....which sunk several of his destroyers....)....

That list ought to last you about a week.........
Ya left out Porky's. The scene where he can't say the word *****, so he uses the word Tallywacker. Story goes not only the actors, but the crew filming the movie laughed themselves stupid.

Catch 22, is it one of those books that wonder all over the place in the writing? Wikipedia has it as " describing events from the points of view of different characters. The separate storylines are out of sequence so the timeline develops along with the plot." Some of those early 13 century writers, before the English language became formatted, give me a headache trying to decode there writings. It is not written in that style is it?

Easy to read. Yes,.......there are several timelines told by several characters,.....but Joseph Heller is a genius at tying it all together cohesively.

For that matter, “ One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest” is told the same way. Ken Kesey is also a genius.....

Neither book is........politically “correct”....and can cause traumatic reactions among those with highly refined sensibilities.........

Luckily,........truck drivers ain’t affected by refined sensibilities.....

“Catch-22” starts off: “ It was love at first sight. Yossarian fell in love with the chaplain the first time he saw him.....”

Hah! It is not at all what you think.......no where near......

Enjoy........

Last edited:
The Wicked Witch and Flying Monkeys are the best metaphor for modern corporate tactics and culture that I can think of......
Canary, you remind me so much of my parents it hurts sometimes. My parents made us kids read certain books and discuss them at the dinner table or in the living room. I remember watching the wizard of oz when I was maybe 11 or 12, then having to discuss dreaming about good and evil. What it meant it meant to pull back the curtain to find that good was fake while evil was true to itself. Is that true in real life? What about the good witch? If this was only a dream what did that say about Dorothy in real life? And don't for forget Toto? What was the purpose of having a companion on a dream about good and evil?

Canary, you remind me so much of my parents it hurts sometimes. My parents made us kids read certain books and discuss them at the dinner table or in the living room. I remember watching the wizard of oz when I was maybe 11 or 12, then having to discuss dreaming about good and evil. What it meant it meant to pull back the curtain to find that good was fake while evil was true to itself. Is that true in real life? What about the good witch? If this was only a dream what did that say about Dorothy in real life? And don't for forget Toto? What was the purpose of having a companion on a dream about good and evil?

Oh, no.........I am nowhere like your parents,.........I started skipping school and working on my professional Wiseacre resume’ in about 9th grade.........

Much to the disgust of my schoolteacher daughters-in-law,........I always say: “ Thank God I dropped out of school..........They never had a chance to beat reading out of me!”

I am a natural and free-range reader..........Voracious, even......I read stuff because I like it,.......not because it’s on some Gold Label college-level reading list.......

The only “discussion” at our dining room table,.......was Dad threatening to knock heads,.........and Mom wearily trying to keep up slinging food to 6 young , hungry..........Voracious, even,.......boys.......

The steady grinding and chomping would’ve drowned out any conversation under 60 decibels........

I suppose we could debate the ‘subtle messages’ in that movie until the end of time, but there’s an obvious message to that movie that is uttered by The Wizard himself, no less, as he hands Tin Man his heart that pretty much sums up life on planet earth...I quote: “...and remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much YOU love, but by how much YOU are loved by others.”

Trust on FX network about the 1970s Getty family

Didn't see that one, Brother,.....but heard about it. Old enough to remember news stories about it. If I remember correctly,....the old grandfather was miserly enough to refuse to pay a ransom for his grandson, so they cut off his ear and mailed it to his family,.....to show their inviolate intentions....

Cut off his grandson's ear, I mean.......Although they might've gotten quicker service on their ransom demands if they had cut off the grandfather's ear instead.......

Careful!...........In our next life, I might be re-incarnated as your Father...........If my own children are any indication,.....prepare to be iconoclastic, stubborn, sardonic, satiric, outspoken, prone to supporting indefensible positions,.....and , above all,.....adore their Pater as one would a massive bronze god with workboots of clay........

By the way,......You're grounded in the next life,...for voting "yes".......

Here's an old one but one of my favorites "Kelly's Heroes" All star cast Clint of course Telly Savalas Donald Sutherland Carol O'Connor Don Rickles (played a great part) Gavin MacLeod Yves Montand Harry Dean Stanton Karl-Otto Aberty (pretty much in every WWII movie) even threw George Savalas in there for a check! John Larroquette (Night Court) was in there for a production assistant. Filmed in Yugoslavia. Watched this at the Pinehurst Drive-In 1970 'bout 12 years old and I still have "some" memory of it. Always liked that song too! "Burning Bridges" All too true in our business.

Last edited:
Here's an old one but one of my favorites "Kelly's Heroes" All star cast Clint of course Telly Savalas Donald Sutherland Carol O'Connor Don Rickles (played a great part) Gavin MacLeod Yves Montand Harry Dean Stanton Karl-Otto Aberty (pretty much in every WWII movie) even threw George Savalas in there for a check! John Larroquette (Night Court) was in there for a production assistant. Filmed in Yugoslavia. Watched this at the Pinehurst Drive-In 1970 'bout 12 years old and I still have "some" memory of it Always liked that song too! "Burning Bridges" All to true in our business.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?